Wild Weasel loadouts

Hi,

I have a question that I hope you guys can help me out with. I just got the new Revell 32nd F-4G. I also have a Trumpeter F-105G and Academy F-16C and was thinking it would be cool to build them together for a "3 generations of Wild Weasels".

Can someone help me out with loadouts? The Phantom and Thud are pretty easy....but the Viper I need some help on. What would be a good Wild Weasel loadout for the Viper?

Thanks in advance

A bunch of us are building the Revell 1/32 F-4G here on ARC in an "Unofficial Group Build". If interested drop by and join the fray:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=283723

Here is a site with some good reading:

http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Weasel.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f-4g.htm

http://fightersweep.com/168/history-of-the-wild-weasel-part-2/

http://fightersweep.com/177/history-of-the-wild-weasel-part-3/

There are LOTS of great sites out there with great info.

Regards,

Don.

The thing to keep in mind with the Viper is that it isn't a 100% SEAD asset all the time. They can and do fly a variety of missions, all depending on what is required at any given time. Sure, when it is hunting SAMs, expect to find a pair of AGM-88s, but they carry everything from GBU-12s to all of the JDAMs, too.

Jake

It depends on the timeframe for the F-16 you want to portray.

When the CJs were introduced, a 2 x AGM-88 fit was the norm. As the mission and aircraft evolved, the load was adapted to the threat. Especially after the CCIP upgrade they received. During Libya (early 2011), the "Weasels" carried a single AGM-88 offset by a GBU-31. In Iraq/Afghanistan (2006-2011), no HARMS were carried. Instead, they carried a variety of GBU-12s and -38s.

Jeff

Thank you all. I know the F-16 isn't a dedicated WW platform like the F-105G or F-4G, but it would still be cool to have all three in a lineup as it is the aircraft that now carries out that mission.

I'm not really sure what timeframe I am looking at doing. I guess I need to look around for some markings I want to use to determine the timeframe, huh?

Thanks for the heads up Don....I don't know how great my skills are by comparison, I am just getting back into the game after a few years off. I was thinking about doing the Idaho kit decals, but I just found a sheet of Airdoc decals that I picked up for the Revell F-4E that has G's on it

If it's an historical lineup of U.S. Air Force dedicated Weasel birds you are interested in covering then don't forget the F-100F. I think it would make a great and totally doable project in 1/32. Add in Navy Iron Hand aircraft and you have enough SAM killer projects to keep you busy for a long while.

Good luck and enjoy!

Regards,

Don.

If it's an historical lineup of U.S. Air Force dedicated Weasel birds you are interested in covering then don't forget the F-100F. I think it would make a great and totally doable project in 1/32. Add in Navy Iron Hand aircraft and you have enough SAM killer projects to keep you busy for a long while.

Good luck and enjoy!

Regards,

Don.

True. And, really, the EF-105F's were the backbone of Weasel ops in 'Nam until late in the war when the G's finally arrived. I'm in the process of converting a G to an F for that very purpose.

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Good luck and enjoy!

Regards,

Don.

I've got a Trumpeter F-100D. Did they make a F in 1/32?

I've only got so much house to display in! I could do a Navy Skyhawk in Iron Hand. I have an old Hasegawa 32nd Skyhawk that I have been working on rescribing for the last decade!

Hi Norton111,

Yes, SEAD/DEAD mission with HARM needs HTS on intake pylon, left or right side depends on timeline.

I didn't see ALQ-184 hung under F-16 for a long period after Desert Strom. CONUS and PACAF base usually use ALQ-119.

USAFE use ALQ-131. (Please correct if I am wrong)

Hasegawa weapon set has left HTS, SNIPER as well as ALQ-119 in one set.

Academy F-16 comes with NSI intake and Pratt exhaust. Only block 52 weasel could be built witj SHG decal set.

Acadeny is as bad as Hasegawa for your starting. You still need lots of pods. My suggestion is go to Tamiya CJ.

Nortran11, with regards the 1/32 F-100F I really don't know sorry. I know there is a 1/48 F-100F and I could swear I heard rumors of Trumpeter scaling up their 1/48 kit to 1/32 but again I know nothing definitive. Also, with regards early Wild Weasels (especially Vietnam era) there was more often then not a shortage of dedicated Weasel birds and crews. So to make up the shortfall single seat THUDS would tag along with the dual seat 105F's and 105G's in hunter-killer type flights. The Weasels would find the SAM sites and together with the single seaters attack it/them. When the F-4G's came online the same tactics were used only instead of single seat THUDS it was non-weasel Phantoms who tagged along (C's, D's, and E's). So, you have options for single seat USAF SAM suppression builds if you choose as well. A 105G loaded with SAM killing missiles and ECM pods sitting beside a 105D loaded with iron would be neat.

Also, check out the book "Wild Weasel: The SAM Suppression Story" by Larry Davis. Great book, especially for Vietnam era Wild Weasel operations.

Regards,

Don.

I didn't see ALQ-184 hung under F-16 for a long period after Desert Strom. CONUS and PACAF base usually use ALQ-119.

USAFE use ALQ-131. (Please correct if I am wrong)

ALQ-119 has been gone from the USAF inventory for a long time (91-92-ish?). PACAF uses ALQ-184. USAFE generally uses the ALQ-131, and CONUS uses either.

Jake

Yup: Click me. (Pic by a certain Jake Melampy, whoever that may be :rolleyes: )

Not sure if they only use the long version of the ALQ-184 at Misawa, or both the long and short.

Edited by Pete

Not sure if they only use the long version of the ALQ-184 at Misawa, or both the long and short.

I've only seen the long version used at Misawa.

Jake