Super 63-Operation Gothic Serpent C2 blackhawk

This is probably not going to go very far, but I wanted to throw out a bone anyway and try. Little by little, pictures are coming out of the Somalian battle that up until a few years ago, didn't exist.

Also, members of the 160th SOAR are coming forth with a little info from time to time as well.

Werner Wings has even come out with decal sheets that cover the markings of every MH-60 involved except for Super 63.

I know it was a Command and Control helo, so that probably warrants more OPSEC, but so far there are no pictures of 63 (except for the distant aerial pic of the batman logo hawk) and nobody knows if that was even the C2 bird.

This request has a special meaning because a good friend of mine was the crew chief of Super 63 on that day, but he later passed away in 1999. For all you Night Stalkers out there, his name was Joe Pascetti and he went on to become a 1Sgt in the unit before he died in 99.

Anyway, I'm just looking to see if there is anyone who might have some pics of the C2 blackhawk from that operation specifically any help, pics/info from current and former Night Stalkers.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It may have been one of our Lewis  birds. The regt modded a few MH-60L's for C2 specifically back in the day. I believe they did these mods around the time of Desert Storm. So I assume that a dedicated C2 bird was used during GS. I think I saw a virtual ramp that showed 3 C2 birds back in the day, circa 2011. That could have been all that was left or all they modded before realizing a dedicated C2 aircraft wasn't the best idea.

The tail that was pushed to Lewis for us to use for a short while before we turned in all the Limas was 89-26189. Their is a very real possibility his was the aircraft used for Super 63 that day.

Sorry I thought about this a lot while driving today and rushed my original post. I hope my edit is a little more clear and easy to understand.

Edited by Evilspyderman
  • 7 months later...

Friendly bump!

Well after years and years of waiting and wondering, I finally have answers and pics (few) of the C2 MH-60. Through searching and speaking to a OGS crew chief, the C2 bird's tail # was 26257 aka "Grim Reaper". 

Sorry, but I won't post the pics he sent me out of respect for him, but now I'm slowly getting enough info together to get a memorial build ready for Joe.

Thought I would share the good news!

Tim

On 8/18/2017 at 6:33 PM, hawkwrench said:

Friendly bump!

Well after years and years of waiting and wondering, I finally have answers and pics (few) of the C2 MH-60. Through searching and speaking to a OGS crew chief, the C2 bird's tail # was 26257 aka "Grim Reaper". 

Sorry, but I won't post the pics he sent me out of respect for him, but now I'm slowly getting enough info together to get a memorial build ready for Joe.

Thought I would share the good news!

Tim

Awesomesause - looking forward to seeing this one come together!

-Ramon

Wow, good news. All very interesting to me because I am currently working in the airport area of Mogadishu International.

I am looking forward to seeing this build