F-105D Memphi Belle 2

The aircraft at the Air Force Museum has had the aircraft and pilot's name painted in red or black on a yellow background at different times. The same is true of decals. Any idea which is correct, I believe it should be black? The one small color photo I can find could be interpreted either way, due to the low sun angle.

Deke

The aircraft at the Air Force Museum has had the aircraft and pilot's name painted in red or black on a yellow background at different times. The same is true of decals. Any idea which is correct, I believe it should be black? The one small color photo I can find could be interpreted either way, due to the low sun angle.

Deke

Deke,

The name 'Memphis Belle II' and the pilots name Maj.Buddy Jones were both applied in black on a yellow background. I have an original Kodachrome slide in my THUD collection that shows her ( full left side profile) pulling out of her revetment at Takhli RTAB in April 1970. The red on yellow theory is inaccurate but I do recall seeing a small photo published in one of the F-105 books that would lead someone to reach that conclusion. The picture suffered from severe colour manipulation but since I have an original slide of the same image, there's no doubt that black on yellow is the accurate presentation.

Ozzie

Deke,

The name 'Memphis Belle II' and the pilots name Maj.Buddy Jones were both applied in black on a yellow background. I have an original Kodachrome slide in my THUD collection that shows her ( full left side profile) pulling out of her revetment at Takhli RTAB in April 1970. The red on yellow theory is inaccurate but I do recall seeing a small photo published in one of the F-105 books that would lead someone to reach that conclusion. The picture suffered from severe colour manipulation but since I have an original slide of the same image, there's no doubt that black on yellow is the accurate presentation.

Ozzie

Ozzie,

Thank you very much. That picture you are talking about is probably the one used for the Osprey book.

Deke