1/72 F-105D Centerline Pylon

This is my month for pylon issues. I need to follow-up my previous F-4 pylon question with this one.

I need a center line pylon for a 1/72 F-105D (Trumpeter kit), the one that is wedge-shaped and commonly seen in SEA with a MER and six M-117 bombs on it. Does this exist anywhere in any form or do I need to scratch build it?

Thanks

Here is an earlier answer about the 1/48 Thud, just do the math to get it to 1/72:

This info is far from 100% accurate but i measured both the Trumpeter 1/32 F-105 c/l pylon and the one in the RM 1/48 kit and here are the numbers:

TR (converted to 1/48)

Lt - 5.13cm

Fwd height - .69cm

Aft height - .435cm

Width - .195cm

RM (1/48)

Lt - 5.25cm

Fwd height - .6cm

Aft height - .195cm

Width - .225cm

again these were rough measurements i made but should give you an idea of the size of the pylon.

Jari

I actually have hundreds of photos and numerous 1/72 drawings of the pylon in question but I was hoping someone knew of a resin source for it that has eluded my search attempts.

Well according to the instruction sheet for the 1/72 Monogram F-105 kit there is no center line pylon of any type provided. I built that kit back in 1978. Andre, might you be referring to a different scale kit or different brand, or does Monogram have a newer 1/72 Thud than Kit No. 6808 (Copyright 1966) which includes the pylon? I am building the 1/72 Trumpeter kit.

Andre, might you be referring to a different scale kit or different brand, or does Monogram have a newer 1/72 Thud than Kit No. 6808 (Copyright 1966) which includes the pylon?

AFAIK that Monogram kit is a box scale rendition of the F-105B.

Later Monogram did an entirely new mold of the F-105 to 'proper' 1/72nd,based on their 1/48th kit, whch has appeared over the years in 'D, 'F and G form:

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/viet/105dpreview.htm

I have several of this one, and it does feature a nice centreline pylon / MER part.

HTH,

Andre

The kit scaled-down from the Monogram 1/48 F-105D was done by Revell, first issued in 1988. It has the "wedge-shaped" pylon molded with the MER and a brace of six Mk 117s. If you need all of that, Alleycat, I have a spare for you.

Paul,

I have the M117s from the Hasegawa weapons set but I would definitely do about anything for the pylon/MER part. PM me so we can work it out the cost and/or trade,

And Thanks!

I ended up using the centerline from an old Hasegawa kit. I too am surprised that no aftermarket guys have taken care of this problem with the Trumpeter kit. I would think that this would be right up the alley of someone like Quickboost. Just saying... ;0) Fred K.

Edited by f5guy

I'm sending my set to Alleycat. I find the old Revell kit (depsite its raised panel detail) superior to the newer, recessed-detail Trumpeter kit. As far as I can tell, it was issued only twice: Once as a single kit, and as part of a combo packaged along with an early Ace kit of the A-6 Intruder. I have several of the Revell Thuds underway, but off the burners at present. One I am converting to a B in Thunderbird markings.

As far as I can tell, it was issued only twice:

RoG repopped it a few times as well, the last time about five, six years ago (with a quite useable decal sheet to boot).

You could pick them up dirt cheap - I paid € 2.50 each for mine!

Cheers,

Andre

Well according to the instruction sheet for the 1/72 Monogram F-105 kit there is no center line pylon of any type provided. I built that kit back in 1978. Andre, might you be referring to a different scale kit or different brand, or does Monogram have a newer 1/72 Thud than Kit No. 6808 (Copyright 1966) which includes the pylon? I am building the 1/72 Trumpeter kit.

The original release of the 1:72 Monogram kit from the 60's had a 'working' rotary bomb bay with a nuclear weapon and a spring-loaded ejection seat & hinged canopy. No other weapons or pylons. It was later re-released with the bomb bay molded closed and the spring and trigger for the ejection seat also eliminated. Two outer wing pylons were added with M-117 style bombs. No center pylon.

Completely different kit than the later scaled-down version of their 1:48 kit.

Mark