Applying MM Lacquer Clear Gloss prior to Luftwaffe mottling

I've got a 48 scale Tamiya ME-262 on the workbench with a lovely primary camo scheme of RLM 74/75/76 in the splinter pattern. the RLM 74 and 75 are MM acrylics and the RLM 76 is Vallejo Model Air. Now all it needs is the mottling. Having a touch of anxiety prior to starting the mottling, I have an idea. Lay down some MM Lacquer Gloss clear and let it cure prior to spraying the mottle. If I'm not happy with any of the mottling, I could simply "erase" with a Q-tip soaked in windex without fear of harming the paint underneath... Right?

I don't see why not. Armor modelers tend to do this sort of thing during some of the painting and weathering steps.

To be quite honest, however, I would try this on a scrap piece first before committing to doing it on the model. With this, you'll kill two birds with one stone. First, you'll see if there are any issues with the MM lacquer gloss over your acrylic base coat and, second, you get to practice your mottling skills on something other than your actual model. I would definitely do this if I'm anxious about it.

Rob

Edited by galileo1

I have a couple of DVD's featuring David Fisher, who does sci-fi/comic/horror modeling, and he mentions this technique. But I would also second Rob's suggestion about trying it on scrap plastic first.

Stacey

If by MM clear gloss you're referring to Testors Glosscoat, which is lacquer based, I've been sealing paint with it since the 70's and never, ever had an issue with it damaging the color coat. Over the Glosscoat I do my weathering with everything except lacquer based products. I've worked enamel based oils over Glosscoat with Mineral Spirits without any issues, but I've never tried Windex with D.

As Rob said, you're better off trying it out on a scrap piece of plastic to be sure it works without damaging the base paint.

Joel

Godfrey,

Since you're just looking to seal the paint before applying the mottle pattern, then just use a matt clear like Testors Dullcoat, or if you want to go with an Acrylic, I've been testing out Winsor & Newton's Matt UV Varnish. The only time I ever use a clear gloss if to prep the surface for decal application.

Joel

I

Update 2: taking the advice here and learning from my own experience, I layed down a matte finish for the mottling. Here's the result:

20150607_192356_zpss8s1gbik.jpg

20150607_192319_zpstxrercps.jpg

Once I quit worrying so much about screwing up the paint job and underestimating myself I produced a satisfactory result in one take. And had more fun doing it. Simple lesson but easy to forget sometimes. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in or viewed the thread.