OH-58D Kiowa Warrior 1/35 Scale

Unless you want to depict it in a hanger undergoing major overhaul, they don't really use ladders or scaffolding to stand on. The maintainers just climb all over the tiny helo.

111413_unitnews5_2.jpg

OH-58-Kiowa-helicopter-052.preview.jpg

size0.jpg

Thanks for the pic Gino. I was looking on google yesterday and i thought the same thing about the maintenance.

Richard

A few from the US Army Aviation Museum archives.

Ray

Kiowa-IQapmebaker_031210A60_0JWUG.jpg

Kiowa-IQapmebaker_031210A60_0JWU-1.jpg

Kiowa-IQapmebaker_040128A00_0K7Z-1.jpg

Kiowa-IQapmebaker_040128A00_0K7ZW.jpg

Kiowa-IQapmebaker_040128A00_0K7ZZ.jpg

This bird has the MPLH gear installed that allowed the fuselage to be jacked down for cargo loading:

OH-58D0139.jpg

Thanks for the ref pics Ray.

Richard

So in my haste of painting the engine, I decided to redo the engine and it's department that it is housed in.

Because I painted the engine all silver (mistake) I made it a little difficult for me (as usual). So I started to mask the engine using Fasmask:

I use to use this product when I raced RC cars and I would mask the body to paint it. You can purchase this product at any hobby store and this is the second bottle that I have used over 7 years.

It only cost about $10.99 and it will last you a lifetime. I always prefer to use this product over anything else.

20150625_235533_zps19rd6hpy.jpg

So I masked the engine so I would not go over the silver that I painted:

20150625_213524_zpskasw3ga9.jpg

When it cured I painted the engine a gold color. You may not see the gold all that well because of the light. Now I didn't have any gold because I really don't like airbrushing gold, so I used some Create/FX gold in a bottle (Which I use GREAT to brush) and added some enamel to it, (about 50/50) and then I painted some of the engine gold.

20150625_232134_zpshbtfaids.jpg

20150625_232147_zpshxdkprlr.jpg

20150625_232228_zpsje7dwiep.jpg

Then I used Vallejo black and white to make a light grey and painted the back part of the engine that color.

20150625_235511_zps3rtmsjge.jpg

20150625_235436_zpsliiwgr9u.jpg

And I used Vallejo off white to paint the bottom of the starter (I think that is what it is called).

Then I repainted the engine department interior green and the back of the roof fairing silver and the back side of the department silver.

20150625_204148_zpsw16togsx.jpg

I followed another person build (I know Gino, I should not do that) but when I looked at Rays picture of the engine department, it was interior green. So I followed the reference picture that Ray sent me of the engine department and painted it interior green.

I still have to add a black wash to the engine depatment and also the engine, and that is when the real fun starts because I plan on dealing the engine so that way I can leave the engine dept open when the model is finished.

Richard

Edited by ElboogiE

looks good Richard

I like that liq mask . Did you wash that away , when you was finished ?

Rick

It was not cured when I took the picture, so when it cured, I just removed the mask. Just like any other masking product.

Richard

It was not cured when I took the picture, so when it cured, I just removed the mask. Just like any other masking product.

Richard

I never seen that before .. I could use that in some cases

Thanks you

Rick

I never seen that before .. I could use that in some cases

Rick

I used this product to paint the lexan bodies that I use to paint for RC Racing when I was in the hobby.

Now I have other products like Micro Mask :

20150627_080211_zpst6s3ozpn.jpg

But if you look at both of them side by side, it cost me $4 dollars for the Micro Mask for a 1 oz size, compared to 8 oz

if you chose the Fasmask (made by Parma). The Micro Mask is a excellent product but for the price of the Fasmask that will cost you

$10, well you do the math. And like I said, it will last you a lifetime. Just my opinion.

Richard

Edited by ElboogiE

Not too mugh to update. I am back at work so modelling is slow. I have done my tarmac for my Kiowa and started detailling my engine but the work is slow. I will update in a little while. Working on the Kiowa is like dealing with a 1/48 scale subject, it is so small...lol.

Richard

Just some small updates.

I finished my tarmac for the Kiowa and I think that it looks alright:

20150628_122813_zpsolpx5sag.jpg

Then I started on detaling my engine, it is nowhere near done but I wanted to post some pictures of the engine and the steps on

detailing the engine:

I first started to paint the engine the way that it was suppose to be painted and not all silver.

20150628_131000_zpspkypugby.jpg

Now I took some creative license and I put a small sapre piece to the engine. I attached the small part to the engine so when I put

my wire or cables they will have something to attach to. I also put some black pigment to the engine so the engine

look used. It is nowhere near done yet, I just wanted to post some pictures to let you know that I have been working on the Kiowa, even

though is has been slow.

20150629_180559_zpszypoixdo.jpg

it is my first attempt to detail a engine so I am hoping that it will turn out alright.

Richard

Rich.

A quick question about your hawk.

..when u glued the legs of the landing gear from the fuselage, do the legs have to be glued straight or with a slight angle to the outside? I am talking about the verical legs. Thanks

Rich.

A quick question about your hawk.

..when u glued the legs of the landing gear from the fuselage, do the legs have to be glued straight or with a slight angle to the outside? I am talking about the verical legs. Thanks

I glued my legs "straight" from the fuselage. No angle.

BUT I would test it just in case.

Richard

Edited by ElboogiE

Now I was about to say F*&K the Kiowa....... :bandhead2: , and putting the kit in its box for another day.

But, I grabbed a Heineken and took some time away from the kit, and then I got back into it. I am not a quitter......lol.

So then I glued the IP, the cyclics and the glare shield to the cockpit and it turned out alright.

20150703_234411_zpsv01evoiz.jpg

20150703_234425_zpsnpdn0wns.jpg

20150703_234501_zpsohnjha6t.jpg

20150703_234531_zpsk7q30qx3.jpg

Now I remember what Floyd wrote on the Kiowa and he recommended that we put the glare shield in after we put the cockpit into the fuselage,

or we will have some problems with the windshield. To tell you the truth, I FORGOT that fact.......:BANGHEAD2: ! SO I decided to test the cockpit in the

fuselage to see if I will have any problems with the windshield.

20150703_235121_zps4luwmksq.jpg

20150703_235131_zps41vszwxj.jpg

There was no windshield problems :clap2:

But I can see why Floyd talked about the glare shield and the windshield because if I had it one cm to the left, I would have had problems with it.

But now looking at the cockpit thru the windshield, I will need to cover up the extra weight that I had added to the middle console because you can see

the weight thru the windshield. I will cover it up with some card and paint it black so you cannot see it.

More tomorrow.

Richard