OH-58D Kiowa Warrior 1/35 Scale

So I am on my wife's computer.

I did some work on the Kiowa. I have added the collectives to the helicopter and rudder petals.

20150618_234713_zps6xurlfne.jpg

20150618_234630_zpsbhhesi1w.jpg

20150618_234713_zps6xurlfne.jpg

Then I added the middle console to the helicopter and painted the rudder petals.

20150619_003523_zpsfnyqbcwk.jpg

20150619_003535_zpswkbmeu59.jpg

Then I added the seats to the helicopter.

20150619_225828_zpsdsy99udb.jpg

20150619_225850_zpsyntcgeha.jpg

Richard

Then I wanted to see how the cabin area would fit inside of the fuselage area:

20150619_230512_zpsscefdpnk.jpg

20150619_230441_zpsd91w4rk6.jpg

Then the front windshield and the glare shield:

20150619_230947_zpsnna5xvho.jpg

20150619_230958_zpsikfjsdjp.jpg

And while looking at the kit wit the cabin inside of the fuselage, something told me it was a tail sitter so I added some weight to the front area to the only place that I could find:

20150620_040655_zpsf4wrzrw1.jpg

More updates later:

Richard

Richard the bird looks super great .

Is this the ez line here ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-EZ-Line-Charcoal-003-Sample-Packs-6-/181181115787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2f3c6d8b

Thanks Rick

Yep thats it. But dont choose the sample pack. Get the full spool, that is usually arund 12 or 13 dollars.

Richard

No problem Rick.

So I went thru some surgery today. Not on me but the Kiowa......lol

I removed the fairing above the cockpit and got it ready for the new fairing. One of the things that I did not purchase was the Kiowa exterior kit from Floyd.

It was not because I did not want it, but right now I cannot afford it until the end of next month. I made a promise to my wife that I would save money so we can

purchase cruise tickets to Alaska. And you know the saying.....happy wife equals happy life, and the most important thing.......peace and quiet!!!!!!......lol

20150622_153402_zpshedzqejz.jpg

Now even though I cannot stand when a kit has me remove anything from the model (look at my black hawk and you will see), this time I used a scriber and scribe it

down to the point where everything just feel off.

Now one of the things that was included with the kit, it gave me new resin doors to replace the kit doors that was the avionics doors,

BUT I will never understand this. The resin doors that was included with the kit, it comes in two pieces:

20150623_012803_zpskffdbmgn.jpg

Is there a reason why they made it two parts? Now I have to glue the parts together and because they are never the right shape, when I glue them together,

I will have to add filler to cover up the gaps between the two pieces, and then sand them and lose some of the rivet details that are on them. They couldn't have made it one piece? That is the reason why I will always love Tamiya kits,

In Tamiya kits, they would have matched up perfectly. Oh well, what is a modeller to do except to push on.......lol.

Now I have done the roof to the cabin area which is also the engine department. So I just wanted to see how the new fairing would match up to the roof area when everything has been painted, and it came out looking good. I used yellow zinc chromate to the engine department and the other side that you cannot see, I used flat black.

20150623_013232_zpslncrmcym.jpg

20150622_224446_zpsdiggeoza.jpg

Now I have to add a Black wash to the engine department to make it looked used.

Then I painted my engine and all the parts to the engine in Alclad gloss black and then used Alclad White aluminum over the gloss black.

The only thing I did was painted them. I still have to add more color to the engine and wash the engine parts with black.

20150622_224030_zps2as7ypmd.jpg

Now this is interesting. First time that I dealt with skids.....so I cut the 3 parts from the sprue and then sanded them and glued them together. When I put

the skids on the desk, they were all wobbled. because I use Model Master liquid cement, it gave me time to take the skids apart and them glue them so when I put the skids down on my desk, they were all together and not wobbly.

20150623_015118_zpsrcsg8bko.jpg

But I still have a lot of work to do on the skids. I have to remove the seams on the skids and put some filler on the skids where I glued them together so they will look like one piece instead of two. I hope that I am explaining this correct.

The last thing I did tonight was attached the grill to the roof fairing......did I tell you guys how much I hate PE parts? ......lol

20150623_021539_zps2ngghpps.jpg

That is all for tonight, I will work some more on the engine tomorrow. On my computer that died were my reference pictures that I had collected on the Kiowa, so I put them in drop box but I have not put them on my spare computer (my wife's laptop, it is a Alienware laptop that she uses to run her SIms) so I have to ask her permission. :touche:

But I don't blame her because she spent over $4000 on her laptop.....and no one is allowed to touch it......lol

More updates tomorrow.....if I can get to her laptop......lol

Richard

Now one of the things that was included with the kit, it gave me new resin doors to replace the kit doors that was the avionics doors,

BUT I will never understand this. The resin doors that was included with the kit, it comes in two pieces:

20150623_012803_zpskffdbmgn.jpg

Is there a reason why they made it two parts? Now I have to glue the parts together and because they are never the right shape, when I glue them together, I will have to add filler to cover up the gaps between the two pieces, and then sand them and lose some of the rivet details that are on them. They couldn't have made it one piece? That is the reason why I will always love Tamiya kits,

In Tamiya kits, they would have matched up perfectly. Oh well, what is a modeller to do except to push on.......lol.

The doors are in two parts because that's how they are on the actual aircraft and if you want to show it open, that is how it should be. They are this way so the door clears the weapons pylon when opened. The smaller part is bolted to the fuselage and the larger part is the movable door. You can see it well on the OH-58D trainer below. The main, movable door is orange and the smaller, stationary part is fuselage color.

OH-58D_850x-2.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

The doors are in two parts because that's how they are on the actual aircraft and if you want to show it open, that is how it should be. They are this way so the door clears the weapons pylon when opened. The smaller part is bolted to the fuselage and the larger part is the movable door. You can see it well on the OH-58D trainer below. The main, movable door is orange and the smaller, stationary part is fuselage color.

OH-58D_850x-2.jpg

Thanks Gino for the info, I did not know that.

Richard

Your a brave man Richard , ive been debating to remove the doors on my Blackhawk, even picked up the knife a few time then put it down lol.

Lindsay

If you do remove the doors, i would scribe the doors down before I would cut it. I didnt do that ony black hawk and I almost made a mistake. Just my thoughts.

Richard

I need some help. Does anybody has reference pictures of a kiowa going thru maintenance? What I am looking for is the ladders that maintenance people use to get to the engines during maintenance. And also the extra boxes that they will use. It is for my diorama. Any help would be grateful.

Richard

I think I am going to start the engine and the engine dept all over again. I have to add some more detail to the engine by scratch if I want to open the engine doors when the model is done. And i made some mistakes painting the engine dept.

Richard

I was looking at the engine photo that Ray posted at the beginning of your thread. I can relate about wanting to repaint parts...I am the first one to do it when the painting doesn't look right. Looking at the engine(if you decide to repaint) you have to take it apart then paint the various sections. The grey looking part in the photo that looks like a rectangle should get cut and painted separately then reglued . a lot can be done with engine. MRC did a good job on it.

Let me put you at ease, I have an extra engine here and if you were to damage your i can send you mine..

good luck

Oliver

I was looking at the engine photo that Ray posted at the beginning of your thread. I can relate about wanting to repaint parts...I am the first one to do it when the painting doesn't look right. Looking at the engine(if you decide to repaint) you have to take it apart then paint the various sections. The grey looking part in the photo that looks like a rectangle should get cut and painted separately then reglued . a lot can be done with engine. MRC did a good job on it.

Let me put you at ease, I have an extra engine here and if you were to damage your i can send you mine..

good luck

Oliver

Thanks Oliver. I will see what I can do with mine and see how it turns out. I am thinking about repainting the yellow chromate. On alexanders build, he used interior green instead of the yellow chromate, like the kit instructed me to. We will see. But I definitely have to do the engine again....lol. it sucks that I dont have my computer. But I plan on getting a better computer in about two weeks.

Richard