F-16D Thunderbirds (HobbyBoss 1/72)

F-16D Block 32 86-0041 flying in USAF Thunderbirds in 1992-2008. Pilot: Capt. Matt "Byrdman" Byrd. Technicians: TSgt Mike King and SrA. Rodney "Frenchy" LeBlanc.

Kit: HobbyBoss 1/72. Pilots from Revell F-16. Model build by my son Gustaw and me.

2972.jpg

2973.jpg

2974.jpg

2975.jpg

2976.jpg

2977.jpg

2978.jpg

2979.jpg

2980.jpg

2981.jpg

Did You use kit decals?

Yes, but it needed a lot of corrections. The nose decals had to be cut to smaller parts and placed separately. Later I masked the nose along the decals and resprayed it. The lower fuselage decal is originally one big part from intake to rear fuselage and I cut it too. Under the decal we had the arrester hook and some other things that decals will never set to. I cut the decals there (decal solvents work really good) and painted the cracks dark blue. Maybe the kit was designed for beginners, but the decals are challenging even for an experienced modeler.

Son and Dad did a great job together. In fact, the last photo is my favorite!

Mine too!

My son never got into modeling even though he always watched me build. Even now at 27 (yes, he's still home :bandhead2:/> ) he checks my work just about every work session.

Joel