F-18F Superhornet

So I was buying some nice Fightertown F-18 decals to add to a bigger order, and thought I'd pick up a couple of extra F model Super Hornets for the stash...None to be found, anywhere! Not Revell or Hasegawa! Squadron, no stock, Sprue Bros., no stock, Amazon, they list a Revell F for $90. What???? for the Revell? I haven't bought a kit in a couple of years, but the last Revell Super Hornet I bought was like $22. I can find E's in Revell and Hase.

Even EvilBay has only one F (Revell of Germany, for $40).

Anyone know what's up with this nonsense?

I've seen a Hasegawa G on the spruebrothers site. Guess You could go with that, all it needs are some F decals (for the Hornet with Bard Stack ECS exhaust) along with wingtip launcher slime lights!

:cheers: HTH!

Speaking of super hornets, WTF now HLJ shows both Hasegawa's E & F 1/48 white box kits as discontinued. Well not discontinued per se, but most likely hasegawa stocks ran out and who knows when they'll crank up the molding machines for those again.

Edited by Inquisitor

Yep they are Kinda scarce right now I think the last batch of Hasegawa F's was about a year ago...I just looked at Tower Hobbies(the Hasegawa importer and they say July for the F...If you're in a hurry Try Scale Hobbist, Red Frog Hobbies, Roll Models just to name a few.. also You can buy the Growler... and yes the Growler kits have all the parts to make late block F's ...HTH

Yep they are Kinda scarce right now I think the last batch of Hasegawa F's was about a year ago...I just looked at Tower Hobbies(the Hasegawa importer and they say July for the F...If you're in a hurry Try Scale Hobbist, Red Frog Hobbies, Roll Models just to name a few.. also You can buy the Growler... and yes the Growler kits have all the parts to make late block F's ...HTH

Growlers can be easily found for around $65-70 shipped. Plus you get a few HARMS for the stash. If you need an early block super, the only thing needed is the quick boost early ECS. Other parts are exactly the same as F-18F kits with the addition of a few growler sprues.

Such a shame it's the same old upper fuselage in the box- all they need for a late E or F is the upper fuselage with the new heat exchanger exhausts, the F ACS cockpit sprues, and a little mod for the wingtip formation lights and *voila*...

I know where a few of them can be found. . . . B)/>/>/>/>/>/>

IMG_3138_zpso5v3rfln.jpg

Yes . . . . I have a problem! :rolleyes:/>/>

You have 34 Hornets..only one of them is an 1/48 F model. Therein lies my dilemma, I have A's and C's and E's...and only one sad lonely F in the stash.

Edited by kozlok

I guess now I'm glad I do 1/72 ;) The only person that I know of, responsible for shortage of cheap F/A-18 F's is me.

I wonder though, will they re release the updated molds for the 1/48 F?

I thought it was a shame that revell dropped the F-18F. I've talked to them numerous times about it, and their only concern is that they have a super hornet on the market and that people don't care if it's an E or F..I beg to differ..

I thought it was a shame that revell dropped the F-18F. I've talked to them numerous times about it, and their only concern is that they have a super hornet on the market and that people don't care if it's an E or F..I beg to differ..

I know people that paint F-18C's with Canadian markings and don't care that it's the wrong variant. When the difference is one or two antenna, or a vent grill is a different shape, I'd have to think most people don't really notice or care. I get that the F is a two seater vs a single, but still, the vast majority of people building something on the weekend are not going to care too much.

Edited by RiderFan

I know people that paint F-18C's with Canadian markings and don't care that it's the wrong variant. When the difference is one or two antenna, or a vent grill is a different shape, I'd have to think most people don't really notice or care. I get that the F is a two seater vs a single, but still, the vast majority of people building something on the weekend are not going to care too much.

I see your point there. My only real gripe is, I was using those kits for aircrew builds and they were a faster aleternative and cheaper for me to give away.

Right now on eBay, there's a couple Hase F/A-18F's and a couple Revell 'F' models in 1/48, there's a bunch of Academy 'F's. I am not familiar with the Academy ones, they look nice with the Jolly Rogers decals. Are they a re-box of Italeri?

David