1/48 Revell Strike Eagle (#04891) - additional upper fuselage in box

Hi guys,

just noticed something odd. I've recently bought 2 of Revell's re-released Strike Eagles and was just trawling through the sprues when I noticed that the kit included 2 upper fuselage sprues.

Not sure if this was a packing mistake I opened the second kit...which also had an additional upper fuselage. What makes me really curious is that the second sprue is separately bagged in a specially sized clear bag, indicating it was added intentionally.

I compared both sprues and there is no damage on the original one so it was clearly not included as a spare.

Just wanted to see if anybody else noticed this or if it is just an isolated case.

Cheers

Markus

Are there any differences between the two, different antenna, new panel line, etc?

I gotta think there have been additional mods to the actual aircraft (GPS?) in the days since the kit was originally released. Nice of them to make the changes and toss in the new one if that's the case.

I've compared both sprues and they are completely similar. The only difference seem to be that one fuselage has some nasty looking flow lines which don't impact the surface quality.

At first I thought it was a packing mistake but somehow that doesn't make sense to me. The upper fuselage sprue is packed loose together with the other ones into one big plastic bag. The additional sprue on the other hand was packed in a separate clear bag.

That would mean someone (by mistake) procured clear bags specially sized to fit only this single sprue and then added them (by mistake) to the box? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Anyway, no harm done, just found it odd. The only question now is what should I do with two spare upper fuselages?

Cheers

Markus

Hi

I got one at the UK IPMS last November and I notice that it is now moulded in China! not Korea(sad). I have compaired the two mouldings and the China moulding quality is alot more inferior to the original Korean moulding. There is no undulation of the surface around the tail plane area on the Korean mouldings but on the Chinese moulding it is quite bad and the one in the main bag appears to be worse than the added one. Also the added one looks to me as it could have been moulded by a third party.

Yes, the Revell F-15E has been molded in China for several years now...Prior to the re-release. And yes, in my observation, the quality is considerably less with the Chinese moldings than the Korean. I always try to find the older boxings when I am buying the kit...The ProModeler if possible. I don't use the decals or the weapons, but the mold quality is better...Not short-shots, weird texture, or flash.

Aaron