Authentic Decals VAQ-135 Decals

• 4 months later...

I just finished a project with these. Two big issues I had with these. The carrier film had yellowed and is slightly noticeable even after using setting solution. The bigger problem I had was the striping around the canopy frame, the decals basically fell apart and shattered so I was left with a mess. Not a fan. Too bad because the scheme is cool.

I used them in 48th scale, and I wasn't too impressed. They didn't lay down over the tail very well. They seemed stiff, even after using setting solution. Then again, this was the green stripe for the gloss black tail....

In the end, I wasn't terribly impressed and wont be using them again.

As mentioned, Authentic decals are garbage to put it mildly. Had my set fall apart/disintegrate upon contact with water like they were effing gremlins! Don't waste your money- I will never buy decals from this company ever!

Edited by B-ONE27

There's a reason why Vagabond stopped carrying the Authentic line, and this is it. The Microscale Liquid Decal Film solves the problem of the decals shattering in water, but it doesn't help the other issues much at all. I've told Oleg (Authentic Decals's owner) several times to switch printers, and he's made indications that his future sheets will be printed elsewhere. Until that happens, though, the same problems will keep coming up.

Edited by MHaz

It is a shame to hear this. I was really eyeing their E-2C decals, they have some great schemes for it.

Which scheme were you wanting to build? We did the VAW-123 Screwtops with Sprue Brothers for the NATS, and have some of those still available.

I was considering the Pacific Fleet sheet they have, in particular either of the two black tailed schemes. But I checked out your sheet that you mentioned, and I like that one too. I think you may have an order coming from me soon!

Looking forward to it!

It is a shame to hear this. I was really eyeing their E-2C decals, they have some great schemes for it.

Yea, I wanted to do their Sun Kings sheet. My only problem with the Authentic stickers was that they wouldn't lay down over shapes, so I might give it a try. I haven't seen too many E-2 sheets that I like.

• 8 years later...