Revell F-8E VMF(AW)-122 1/48

Hey all,

I know the end of this GB is near, but now I have the time to put some touches on some old shelf queens. This is a Revell F-8E that I started in December 2013. It's going to be in the scheme of the first Marine Crusader squadron, VMF(AW)-122 Crusaders.

Since I picked this back up a week ago, I did some sanding, rescribing and I restored some of the raised panel lines that I sanded off. You can see these on the second picture, between the wing and the canopy, and in the third picture along the length of the fuselage.

CAM02615_zpshjuk07yn.jpg

CAM02616_zpsh284soc0.jpg

CAM02617_zpsrntodgmq.jpg

I couldn't resist doing the first goat of grey. I did it free hand and will fix the overspray another time. Don't worry about the white rudder, there's a decal that covers the whole surface with a blue background and a sword.

This bird would have been on the frontlines if the Pentagon was successful in prodding Kennedy to invade Cuba. It's interesting to imagine what this plane would have done, but I doubt many of us would have been born had it gone down that way.

CAM02622_zpsfswrwtf9.jpg

Here's an update. I did some touch ups, but I have many left to do. Also, I sanded over the bird with 1.2K grit in order to expose the panel lines and smooth out the coat for the upcoming future finish.

I can't believe it, but she's getting there.

CAM02624_zpssbhd8uo1.jpg

CAM02625_zpsyl3oau6p.jpg

CAM02626_zpsopvybo8t.jpg

Edit: figured I should include a couple with the flash.

CAM02629_zpsnfyhnlxc.jpg

CAM02628%201_zpsrjviur6c.jpg

Edited by Exhausted

I did some paint touch ups today and painted the light on the wing. Tomorrow I'll do just a bit more airbrushing and post some pictures before I decal this bird up.

Oh heck yeah. Speaking of USNF, I have given some thought into the original's campaign in the Black Sea because of the recent events in Ukraine.

I have the paint scheme almost finalized, but my summer classes have me reading 6-8 hours a day. Availability of time seems to have encroached on my Crusader revival at the moment.

I'm going to attach the hook, fins and draw some lines on the front gear door with a black color pencil. After that, I'm going to give her a Future coat and put the decals on it.

CAM02656_zpsql2m6tvl.jpg

CAM02654_zpsfe4vcmcx.jpg

CAM02658_zpsvlmt9pia.jpg

CAM02657_zpsrkqhzeqj.jpg

I actually enjoy working with raised panel line kits to achieve this effect.

Edited by Exhausted

I am pleased to announce that Revell has shipped a new hook to me. Once again their excellent customer service responds to another modeler in need. Never have doubts about going to them as their level of service simply isn't beatable.

Oh man - I hope you are able to finish this one before the end of the month!

I'm gonna try brother. Does anyone else want to see this GB go another 6 months? We all have things we need to get off of the shelf.

Shaking things up a little bit.

I painted the hook and pylons. I completed most touch ups with a brush and VERY thin paint. I then added future to prepare for the decals. The pylons are visible on the bottom right hand side, next to four short segments of a G-string (my guitar's not mine) that I'll use to connect the pylons. Revell doesn't provide a way of attaching single pylons, only the four rail adapter.

Also, I have a really cool idea for a base that I'll reveal in a short time.

CAM02682_zps8lxtluoq.jpg

CAM02681%201_zpshm3tlbic.jpg

Edited by Exhausted

Decals are on!

It looks like the front ring and the guns need touch ups.

I made a huge mistake keeping the elevators off when I was applying the decals because in following the directions, I got the alignment with the panel lines correct, but the elevators partially cover the last letter in Marines. This is most likely because the decal set was made for the Hasegawa Crusader. I ended up gluing the elevators "trimmed out" in order to leave the whole word uncovered.

Since I'm in a bit of a hurry with this build, I know I'll forgive the mistakes.

PICTURES!!

CAM02689_zpspngzdwit.jpg

CAM02690_zpsmqo1v86u.jpg

CAM02691_zpsdh60oyzl.jpg

CAM02692_zpsmolicgye.jpg

CAM02693_zpsmo0quhdw.jpg

CAM02694_zpsg36p6efg.jpg

ok i put a quick progress update to show the latest progress

CAM02705_zps97oju6rv.jpg

CAM02703_zpsfjycohai.jpg

CAM02699_zpsqv8h0lgh.jpg

This one's not so good a picture since I just used natural light, but I wanted to show the top. I applied a small panel line wash on the moveable surfaces.

CAM02701_zpssahtk7lo.jpg

And another:

CAM02707_zpse7mmaeis.jpg

Edited by Exhausted

More progress:

Canopies removed, touched up and Futured. Pylons, rails and 'winders are painted.

I will finish this tomorrow, at the deadline.

I'm glad to finish this Crusader, but it really has created a time conflict with my summer classes.