C-47 that led D-Day invasion

The Commemorative Air Force has found the C-47 that led the airborne invasion over Normandy and have plans to buy and restore it. They currently have a Kickstarter campaign going. Check the story out at ThatsAllBrother.org

(I'll post a link when I can get to a laptop and not my phone)

The Commemorative Air Force has found the C-47 that led the airborne invasion over Normandy and have plans to buy and restore it. They currently have a Kickstarter campaign going. Check the story out at ThatsAllBrother.org

(I'll post a link when I can get to a laptop and not my phone)

try this

What a great find to save for history.

Edited by Scott Smith

try this

What a great find to save for history.

Thanks!

They started this campaign yesterday and already have met their goal. Can't wait to follow this story as it progresses.

Edited by wh1skea

I am all for the restoration, but.

I disagree with the putting them back in the sky.

They did their part. Let them retire in a museum.

I dunno, I'm really liking their idea of getting this airframe back in the air for the 75th anniversary of D-Day in 2019.

I am all for the restoration, but.

I disagree with the putting them back in the sky.

They did their part. Let them retire in a museum.

There are quite a number of C-47s in museums. I don't see why they shouldn't put her back in the air. C-47s(and all other aircraft) were built to fly. Besides, C-47s are not that rare.

There is a C-47 in a sad state on display in the parking lot of the aviation trade school that I went to. It was on display for years in the Oklahoma City fairgrounds before being evicted. It flew combat during the Battle of the Bulge before becoming an executive transport for Kerr-McGee. C-47s aren't rare but actual combat veteran WWII aircraft are. I'm all for restoration but not for flying it, especially given the CAF's propensity for crashing historically significant aircraft.

I don't know if it would bring in enough cash to justify the expense and effort, but I think it would be a neat fundraiser for the restoration to sell decals for "That's All---Brother!" I know I'd buy a set (in 1/72 of course.) The best bet would be to put out one sheet with decals in 1/48, 1/72, and 1/144.

SN

I'm hoping somebody does a 1/48 set! I'd love to use them on a Trumpeter C-47 that I'm thinking of doing for the upcoming Big Kit GB.

• 2 weeks later...