Heading to Air Force Museum

Heading to the museum next Friday June 12. First time I've been there in probably 25 years. First time for my wife n kids. Should be a fun long weekend as were staying outside of Columbus that night and going to the Columbus zoo Saturday.

Anyway I know to sign up for bus trips to the other hangars right away. Any picture requests? Mind you I've only got my cell phone which takes ok pictures but not great.

Anything to make sure we see?

K

My kid liked touching the airplanes so the main museum staff weenies had a heart attack when he was touching everything. We went onto the base side and had fun with the Presidential airplanes and on the other side they had the experimental stuff which I enjoyed more.

Edited by fulcrum1

Yep..the Presidential/R&D and Restoration/Storage hangars are on the active side of the base, which is currently off limits to civilians due to heightened security at all U.S. military bases. The Pres/R&D hangars were scheduled to close this fall anyway, so the aircraft can be moved into the new building on the main museum campus, scheduled to open next year. Hopefully the restoration tours will resume at some point.

SN

The museum looked a whole lot different when I went there with my Father back before I went into the Air Force:

Picture032.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture031.jpg

\

Picture009.jpg

Picture025.jpg

When I was in the 5th FIS I had t go around and hit up people, especially the pilots, for donations to help build the new structures.

Edited by ikar

I was there last month. The R&D tour is not off limits to the public. A museum worker told me that there are buses that take the public over to the active base. I was there too late in the day to get one one, but you should be fine.

You should see the XB-70.

I was there last month. The R&D tour is not off limits to the public. A museum worker told me that there are buses that take the public over to the active base. I was there too late in the day to get one one, but you should be fine.

You should see the XB-70.

Nope..sorry. For now, anything on the "active" side of the base is off limits. You must have gotten there just before the new security restrictions were put in place. Visitors will have to wait until next year to see the Presidential and R&D collections, when the new building opens on the main campus.

SN

I think the Titan IV is in one of the storage hangars, part of the currently suspended "Behind The Scenes" tour. :( It's disassembled, but I looked through the pictures from my various visits and I don't have any shots of it.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Thought this posted earlier but I guess crappy hotel wifi said no.

Anyway the space wing along with the R&D and Presidential hangars were in fact closed. So was the outside exhibits but that's ok it was 90 degrees. Disappointing but what can you do. Had a great time and took about 100 pictures or so. I didn't see the actual picture requests till after we got to the hotel so I don't think I fulfilled any wishes. I'll make a Pbucket folder with them maybe Sunday when we get home.

Have a bunch of pics to take at the Columbus Zoo tomorrow hopefully we don't get drenched.

I think the Titan IV is in one of the storage hangars, part of the currently suspended "Behind The Scenes" tour. :(/> It's disassembled, but I looked through the pictures from my various visits and I don't have any shots of it.

SN

Thought this posted earlier but I guess crappy hotel wifi said no.

Anyway the space wing along with the R&D and Presidential hangars were in fact closed. So was the outside exhibits but that's ok it was 90 degrees. Disappointing but what can you do. Had a great time and took about 100 pictures or so. I didn't see the actual picture requests till after we got to the hotel so I don't think I fulfilled any wishes. I'll make a Pbucket folder with them maybe Sunday when we get home.

Have a bunch of pics to take at the Columbus Zoo tomorrow hopefully we don't get drenched.

Well darn. Thanks for checking it out, though! :-)

The outdoor aircraft are off-limits? I wonded if that's due to the security situation, or because most of those aircraft are slated to be moved into the new building.

SN

Idk if they were completely "off limits" but the doors to them they had roped off so if they weren't off limits you would have had to walk completely around the buildings from the main entrance which we were not doing since it was so hot out.

I'm surprised at the lack of stuff they have outside actually.

A lot of the stuff outside is going to go in the new 4th hangar so that may be why there isn't much out there. They did work on the C-82 and the C-119 is in the restoration shop. I'm heading to NAS Pensacola to the museum down there, so we'll see how that goes.

They used to have a lot more aircraft outside. Fortunately over the years they've been able to move most of them indoors as the museum has expanded (some have also been sent to other museums..I think the KB-50J went to Dover AFB.) Hopefully with the new building they'll finally be able to get everything out of the weather. The C-141 had a brand new paint job when it was retired, but after nearly ten years of outdoor display it's starting to look a bit worn.

SN