Question for the Phantom experts.

I'd like to build up a 1:48 F-4J Phantom in RAF markings. Although I need to source a kit first, I'm curious to know if there are any substantial differences between the USN and UK versions. I understand that a couple of the antenna are different, and there are some cockpit differences (which I probably wouldn't worry about too much), but are there any significant changes? Different wings? Horizontal stabs? Ejection seats? etc...

thanks

David

Another externally visible feature of the F-4J(UK) was the installation of the Eagle Eye target acquisition sight:

f4j_eagleeye_zpsdcwljwmy.jpg

Close-ups:

http://www.britmodeller.com/walkarounds/aircraft/f-4/F-4J%20ZE360/SDC10658.jpg

http://www.britmodeller.com/walkarounds/aircraft/f-4/F-4J%20ZE360/SDC10666.jpg

David,

Doing the same myself.... will be using the Academy F-4C kit with the steal beach J conversion set and Steal Beach wing srap. I have the Yellow Hammer decals.

Cheers

Emil

Bang seats were the same , as RAF crews had to use U.S. flight suits

Late in their service life the UK F-4J's were refitted with ex-FG.1 / FGR.2 seats when the Spey types began to retire.

the intake mounted ECM fairings were retained (empty)

.. except for ZE350 / "T" ('net photo), which lacked them.

Cheers,

Andre

Just take care what UK-J you want to build. Some kept their US colors for longer time, others were repainted in british colors quite early. As for the stencils they have not the black USN stencils but grey british stenciling. Similar to the FG.1 / FGR 2. A good source for the grey stencils would be the decal sheet from Airdoc: stencils for british Phantoms.

Only the warning triangels under the canopies are difficult to get, not contained in the Airdoc sheet. Maybe YH has them, I do not know that sheet.

Brit stencils from ARC

Should you like to have that sheet and have problems to get it, drop me a PM (I guess I could help you).

There is a recommendation out for the US colored J planes: Xtracolor X127 FS15414 - that should closest to the paint put on in USA.

Further they also used the ladder for the WSO, you can get it from flightpath.

Gents,

Just stumbled across this thread. Just some further details about 74 Sqn at Wattisham (my local field). ZE350/T was the only one that did not have the intake fairings - that's my pic linked above showing it with the semi folded wings.

Only a very few were repainted, exact quantity isn't known but the best info I can come up with is three. Certainly ZE362/V was one as seen here.

CNV00009.jpg

CNV000013.jpg

These were only in service for a short time, 1984-90 and those that were repainted were done so quite late in that period.

Gary

The aircraft would only have been repainted as they went through major servicing at RAF St Athan. There was a dedicated team set up for these aircraft and only one went through the system when I was based there (87-89). As a major took about 6 months to complete I don't think that many went through by the time that they were retired and replaced by the FGR2s.

David,

Doing the same myself.... will be using the Academy F-4C kit with the steal beach J conversion set and Steal Beach wing srap. I have the Yellow Hammer decals.

Cheers

Emil

Thanks, yeah, I have the monogram F-4C kit I was trying to figure out what to do with. Along with some left over parts from a Hasegawa F-4, I thought I could come up with a reasonable approximation. Might just try to get my hands on the Academy F-4J though.