First Japanese wonder kit?

With the upcoming release of the Tamiya 1/32 mosquito, and the discussion of the projected price being over $200, I started to think of the previous bench mark kits for price or new levels of detail

Thinking of Aircraft models, what kit changed everything, and set the new standard for detail and better fit, and raised the bar for price? The first so called "Tamigawa wünderkit"

I am thinking the Hasegawa 1/48th F-4 family raised the bar for cost, looking back at old magazine articles, breaking the $20 barrier ($45-$50 in todays money)

I was only 12 or so at the time, but I remember the release of the Trimaster FW-190 family at $50 causing quite a stir, with engraved panel lines, metal parts, etc. Any other candidates for the first wonderkit?

I remembef back in the early 80s hearing everybody going ga-ga over Tamiya's 1/32 F-14. In terms of quality, I would have to say Mania made the first Japanese "wunderkits" back in the early 70s. They really raised the bar in terms of accuracy, detail and fit.

SN

Since I never had a chance to build the Tamiya F-14 because it was stolen with the aftermarket cockpit and things I picked up for it I can't say how good it really was. I remember one of the main complaints against it was the decided in decals for the cockpit instead of raised detail.

Since the Hasegawa 1/48th F-4 series was mentioned at the same time their F-15 series came out. They also put out a limited edition Eagle and I think a F-4 with photoetch and metal landing gear included. In the case of the F-15 they even added in a eagle eye telescopic sight to mount on the side of the H.U.D.

Interesting question. Was it an event or an evolution? Monogram in the United States, and perhaps Airfix in the UK or Italeri in Italy (I'm not as familiar with their lines from the era) were steadily making better and better kits coming out of the 1970s and through the 1980s. By the '80s, Monogram's 1/48th line of jets was pretty hot stuff, with good shapes and fairly complete cockpits, when compared to the toylike stuff produced by many makers in first few decades of plastic kits. The Japanese certainly introduced new levels of quality and (I believe) basically transitioned the hobby in North America and Europe away from kids as the primary market, to adults (really the same people who built models as kids in previous generations, but who now had more discretionary income.)

What makes an uber-kit, basically? Finer details? More parts? Greater commitment to accuracy? The first two seem right to me. How about the last? In terms of airframe shape, how have Japanese kits compared to, for example, the Monogram jet 1/48 series kits, or Airfix kits?

I'd go with the Trimaster kits from the 80's, both the Ta-152 and He-162. Fantastic detail, PE and at the time, a crazy high price.

Tamiya's Mossie is the same today. Setting the standard in aircraft modeling.

A lot is perception (perception, as we know, being reality). The Trimaster 1/48 Me163 was a disaster, as was the Dragon 1/48 Ju88. Überkits with über prices in the early 1990s, but in many cases the parts fit made Monogram kits look precise by comparison. They had really nice packaging, which contributed to the "feel" (perception) of quality, vs the pretty cheap, cheesy packaging and dot-printed, nearly Mylar-like decals of the likes of Revell (US) and Monogram at the time.

Waht do you guy think about the 1/72 Hasegawa F-14, at the time along with the Fujimi F-14 they set up the mark, at least for me. The kit came out in 1988

My uncle went on a trip to Japan and I was a kid she bring it back as a present to me...what a day!!!

Very interesting question. The answer is:

Hasegawa 1/48 F-16A (V1)

If I remember well, it was released in 1983.

Up until the Tamiya F-16, I always thought the Hasegawa F-16 was the best Jet kit. It fit together well and was pretty well detailed.

A lot is perception (perception, as we know, being reality). The Trimaster 1/48 Me163 was a disaster, as was the Dragon 1/48 Ju88. Überkits with über prices in the early 1990s, but in many cases the parts fit made Monogram kits look precise by comparison. They had really nice packaging, which contributed to the "feel" (perception) of quality, vs the pretty cheap, cheesy packaging and dot-printed, nearly Mylar-like decals of the likes of Revell (US) and Monogram at the time.

That was key with DML's first generation armor kits (at least those I saw in the USA). Fit was so-so, and some had wonky features (ex. the hinges on BTRs and BRDMs). But they put 'em in pretty slick, robust boxes with little printed-cardboard compartments. The whole thing had a serious look n' feel to it, so that you didn't feel like you were buying assemble-it-yourself toys. Tamiya was halfway there, but a lot of their line still had less parts, evidence of previous motorization, and cartoons in the instruction sheet.

Meanwhile, Revell, Monogram, and other kitmakers' quaint (and, in retrospect, mostly unsuccessful) attempts to reach younger, prospective modelers may have alienated a few adults who instinctively equated imported kits with a mature hobby.

For me it was 1973, Hasegawa released the 1/32 F-86F 40, it was a whopping $10.00. I built 2 in the first few years of it's release. It is still available and builds up nicely. It is over 40 years old!

John

Funny you mention this. I've seen a few Tamiya Swordfish kits for sale for (what seems) relatively cheap lately, which always gives me pause. When that kit came out, MSRP in Canada was pushing $100, and was similarly steep in the US. It seemed like a *shockingly* high price, kind of out of nowhere. The fact that you can find them pretty regularly now for $30 - 40 is kind of amazing.

Also: MRC-imported Fujimi kits. Their 1/72 A-4s were very nice, but absolutely not worth the $100 retail after MRC took their cut.

Come to think of it, I would also point to Fujimi's 1/24 Enthusiast series car kits from the mid/late-80's. Incredibly detailed (some pistons for the engine!), a quantum leap over the Monograms and Revells of the time that still hold up pretty well today. At the time, Tamiya, Fujimi and Hasegawa were all trying to one-up each other, and Fujimi definitely won the detailing war.

I'd also put the Accurate Miniatures Avenger in that category as well. It wasn't *super* expensive, but it definitely changed the game in terms of overall quality.

In aircraft, I'd say either the Tamiya 1/32 Tomcat from early '80s or Hasegawa 1/8 Sopwith Camel/Fokker Dr.1/SE.5a from mid-'70s if you allow for non-all-plastic kits.

But the model that I think started and defined the "wonder kit" category was the Tamiya 1/12 Honda RA273 F-1 car (first issued in 1968?). Attention to detail, use of different materials and slick packaging paved the way for future wonder kits to come from Tamiya throughout the '70s. I also remember a Tamiya tank model in my childhood that had separately packaged motor, gearbox, tracks, etc. I think it was a 1/16 Panther or variant of Tiger.

Very interesting question. The answer is:

Hasegawa 1/48 F-16A (V1)

If I remember well, it was released in 1983.

This was going to be my answer too. I got one about 1984-85 and was blown away over the Revel kit of the time I had been familiar with.