Ok first time using Micro Sol read the directions and dove in. Im working on an A-1H and the box decals are something to be improved upon. I hit the roundel with future first and it wouldn't succumb. I put a little Micro Sol on it and holy crap I almost soiled my pants. I left it for about an hour and a half and it was still wrinkly so like the instructions said I hit it again. I have a slight deformity I can deal with on the roundel but was wondering on average how many times you have to go over the decal with the Micro Sol in order for it to submit. Also how long after the Micro Sol do you have to wait to handle or even paint said part of model. The decal has finally laid down to rest, must have been fear of me putting a torch to the thing or something.

The first decal I tried it on was like putting an office paper to a shredder. Instantly that thing was gone because I tried to move it just a hair but that wasn't going to happen. What do you guys do in detail and what tools help you get the decals to do what you want them to do. I am toying with the possibility of clear coating the model but I have never had decal problems before and just don't want to have to clear before I decal. Even on a flat surface with the method I use I have never had a problem.

On big decals how would you attack them. Micro Sol the whole thing at once or work it in stages. I am getting ready to put some pretty big decals on this thing and was hoping someone can help set me straight before I regret trying to lay these decals down. Thanks for your help guys JOSH

Hey Josh,

The first thing is not to panic. Decal disasters mostly happen when you try to immediately fix a wrinkle or re-position the decal. I rarely have issues with decals and here is my routine:

1- Make your surface under the decal as glossy as possible, using Future or your glossy clear coat of choice. Let it fully cure for a day or two.

2- Apply Micro Set with a brush where the decal should be.

3- Gently slide the decal onto the surface.

4- Make micro adjustment to the decal while it is still wet, apply more Micro Set and move it around very gently with brush until you are happy with everything.

5- Dab it dry very gently with Q-tips to remove excess Micro Set.

6- Gently dab Micro Sol with a brush on top of the decal, Do Not apply pressure to it with your brush as you might move it again. Wait a few seconds, then remove excess Micro Sol.

7- Do NOT touch the decal anymore, let it fully dry and conform to the surface and you should be good to go! :)/>

NOTE:

Micro Sol fogs the Future when it goes on top of it but it will go away when fully dry so DO NOT panic!

Edited by Fulcrum Pilot

In addition to the excellent advice already given, keep in mind that not all decals will react the same to Sol & Set. So best to do a test with a decal your not going to use to see how they handle it. When I started using Sol/Set decades ago with microscale/superscale decals, the recommended routine was to apply the set first, position the decal, then wait (maybe 15 to 20 min) for most of the Set to dry before applying the Sol. I still use that method today. Appling the Sol too soon (before the decal is 'stuck') may cause the inevitable wrinkles to not go away completely when dry. I still have it happen to me if I try to rush it. Also, after the Sol goes on DO NOT TOUCH IT..... wait till it's completely dry. I usually let mine set a few hours to make sure.

BW

Basically what I gather is even if i used a pool of future under the decal and let it set for 20 minutes or so before I use the Sol it should help lay the decals down smoother. Last night i hit the decals with the Sol immediately after laying them down so I am wondering if that was my biggest issue. I still have a wrinkle in one of the roundels that I will try to get out later but for the most part they look really good. I am just worried about the bigger decals not wanting to comply. Also if I lay another decal over one already set with the Sol will it pull the first decal up again. The tail of this thing has a couple of decals that have to lay over one another and this is another worry I have.

Basically what I gather is even if i used a pool of future under the decal and let it set for 20 minutes or so before I use the Sol it should help lay the decals down smoother. Last night i hit the decals with the Sol immediately after laying them down so I am wondering if that was my biggest issue. I still have a wrinkle in one of the roundels that I will try to get out later but for the most part they look really good. I am just worried about the bigger decals not wanting to comply. Also if I lay another decal over one already set with the Sol will it pull the first decal up again. The tail of this thing has a couple of decals that have to lay over one another and this is another worry I have.

You're basically using the Future in place of the Set, and I don't know if that would make any difference or not (I don't use that method). But I'm guessing that either way, you still need to wait a bit after applying the decal before using the Sol. I know that almost every time I've ended up with a permanent wrinkle after drying, it was because I put the Sol on too soon.

As for 2 layered decals, I wait for the base decal to dry completely, then apply a little bit of Set and apply the second decal. But I'm not sure the Set is really necessary as I have put on 2nd decals without it and it worked fine. I don't always use Sol on the second decal either (a flat surface for example), but have done so with no problems.

BW

Edited by billw

You should never use Future "instead" of Micro Sol. :doh:/>

The reason is that Sol dissolves the clear film and leaves the decal with a painted-on effect on the model. Future does not dissolve anything. It just makes the surface glossy by filling all the micro pores on the surface and also seals the decal after everything is done.

Remember that wrinkles are "normal" after applying Sol. Sol then stretches the decal by shrinking it a bit to have that painted-on effect. The wrinkle should disappear after it dries completely.

Follow the standard procedure for Set and Sol and you should be good to go, unless your decal has a thick or low quality base clear film which does not budge to Sol.

Edited by Fulcrum Pilot