MH-60M Armement Question.

Hey guys, I'm getting everything together to do a 35th scale MH-60M. Just got the Cobra Company MH-60M Conversion Set, it is really nice. But I was wondering what weapons are carried by the MH-60M, specially from the Live Resin range? I know there are several versions of the mini-guns and was unsure of the correct ones. Also, I've got the new Eduard PE sets for the MH-60S and was wonder if any of those sets could be compatible for the -60M? Like maybe the set with the floor and cabin roof, the seat belts or the exterior set. Looks kinda generic -60 airframe stuff. Thanks for any help.

Chuck

The weapons carried are M134 miniguns w/the slotted flash suppressors. Live-Resin makes them, I don't know the set number though. The Eduard MH-60S interior set (floor, ceiling, side pieces for the door and gunners' windows, transmission drip pan, etc.) should fit it fine. Some of the exterior pieces may fit, but the MH-60S has some specific stuff that an MH-60M does not. The MH-60S is based on the UH-60L airframe,not the UH-60M airframe as the MH-60M is.

Here's a shot for you showing the M134's used by the 160th. Although I don't doubt what Gino said, The flash suppressors are not always the slotted type. Miniguns are the only thing that they use...Although I don't know if they are actually not authorized, I've never seen them use M240's in the windows.

Aaron

18_zps1ndm9f5b.jpg

Thanks for the help. Aaron, you got any pictures of the ammo cans and where they are mounted? Trying to figure out wich set to order. They'd be one on each side, right? Thanks.

Chuck

Sometimes, the M134 flash suppressors are the non-slotted type as well. Both types are used, so either is fine.

DAP_minigun.jpg

The ammo cans depends on the mission and unit SOP. Sometimes they are 40mm cans w/the drive motors installed on them, one on each side below the gunners' window on the floor. They also have been seen using smaller, 3000 rd cans with both along the center-line of the cabin. You can see the 40mm ammo can in the above pic. They normally do not use the large center-line cans seen in the Academy kit.

Edited by HeavyArty

The aircraft I have seen have the crash-worthy seats installed, and the cans "hard-mounted" to the sides of the fuselage floor. While not positive, I am pretty sure this is standard with the new Mikes. I know Gino is correct on the Lima's, and that they kind of had ammo bins wherever and whatever they could, but I think it is becoming more standardized with the Mikes. Also, the crash-worthy seats are track-mounted to the floor, and so they are not as easy to take in and out as the old ones were.

Yes, I have a shot of the ammo cans, and where they are mounted.

Aaron

Here's the best direct shot I have of it. I have another that shows that they are bolted into the floor.

61_zps1rbjwa90.jpg

Edited by strikeeagle801

I am sure the MH-60Ms are just as easy to reconfigure as the MH-60L was. The 160th SOAR is not going to give up that advantage w/a new aircraft. Bolts on the ammo cans and the crash-worthy seat floor plates are easily removed w/a few wrenches. Crew chiefs are resourceful and will make it happen.

Edited by HeavyArty

Heck yeah we are resourceful!!!

We flew into a veterans day gathering one day and the co pilot's door hinge broke, so me, one of the pilots and a hardware store owner went to his store and found some of this and some of that and I fixed the door hinge enough so that it would close again and flew back to base.

Tim

I am sure the MH-60Ms are just as easy to reconfigure as the MH-60L was. The 160th SOAR is not going to give up that advantage w/a new aircraft. Bolts on the ammo cans and the crash-worthy seat floor plates are easily removed w/a few wrenches. Crew chiefs are resourceful and will make it happen.

Again, I am not trying to contradict you Gino. I am just saying what I have observed with my access to them, and being able to talk to the crews. Just like the crew chief's electronics panels have been changed, which no longer allows for the pilot's seats to be reclined backwards in an emergency, there are permanent changes to the Mikes that were not on the Lima's.

Aaron

Heck yeah we are resourceful!!!

We flew into a veterans day gathering one day and the co pilot's door hinge broke, so me, one of the pilots and a hardware store owner went to his store and found some of this and some of that and I fixed the door hinge enough so that it would close again and flew back to base.

Tim

Or you could have just removed them. That's what we (HH-60) do if the door is on the fritz.

Saw a Mike today with no doors on it up in Everett. It was about 85 over there, and so they had what my grandpa would have called 2X55 AC...2 doors open, 55mph.

Aaron

Here you go Tim. Five Special Operations helos in one shot.

_MG_2786_zps88k1qdza.jpg

Edited by strikeeagle801

Five Special Forces helos in one shot.

_MG_2786_zps88k1qdza.jpg

Great shot. I think the two Chinooks in the foreground are standard CH-47Ds though. Looks like they are British as well with the red and blue roundels on the sides.

Great shot. I think the two Chinooks in the foreground are standard CH-47Ds though. Looks like they are British as well with the red and blue roundels on the sides.

They are HC.6's (CH-47F with Thales-built cockpit instrumentation) and are from 7 Squadron, which is part of the Joint Special Forces Aviation Wing, which supports UK Special Forces. I said five Special Forces helos in one shot...I never said they were all ours.

Does the 160th even use the spent shell casing tubes on their miniguns anymore?

I've yet to find a MH-60M with those tubes installed.

Tim

Yes, they do Tim. They were installed when I saw them in Yakima. These guys were on a "fun" mission (the Heritage Flight Foundation threw a BBQ lunch for them)and none of them were armed.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

Not disputing that they were or were not Spec Ops birds, just that they didn't look like 160th SOAR birds.

I said five Special Forces helos in one shot...I never said they were all ours.

If we want to split hairs, they are not Special Forces helos, but Special Operations helos. In the US Army anyways, Special Forces are Green Berets, who have a very specific mission set and are not usually supported by the 160th SOAR (Special Operations Aviation Regiment).

Edited by HeavyArty

Not disputing that they were or were not Spec Ops birds, just that they didn't look like 160th SOAR birds.

If we want to split hairs, they are not Special Forces helos, but Special Operations helos. In the US Army anyways, Special Forces are Green Berets, who have a very specific mission set and are not usually supported by the 160th SOAR (Special Operations Aviation Regiment).

Fair enough. Five Special Operations helos in one shot. Three American from the 160th, and two British from RAF No. 7 squadron. :cheers:

Aaron