1/72 B-36 Canopy Mask

Does anyone make, or has there ever been available, a mask set for the Monogram 1/72 B-36?

I'm typically pretty good with a roll of Tamiya Tape...but there's some serious grid work going on with this one.

Meteor productions made masks for the b-36 under the "black magic" brand. Not sure how to track one down, but what you seek did exist.

Does anyone make, or has there ever been available, a mask set for the Monogram 1/72 B-36?

I'm typically pretty good with a roll of Tamiya Tape...but there's some serious grid work going on with this one.

Meteor productions made masks for the b-36 under the "black magic" brand. Not sure how to track one down, but what you seek did exist.

Hmmmm...Tamiya Tape and a #11 it is!

Thank you for the info on that. I doubt I can find one out there though.

• 9 months later...

AF White - suggestion (to make the task easier). Mask only longitudinally (along the axis of the fuselage) with long lengths of tape, then spray. Next, strip-off the masking, then mask (in the same way) across the axis, and repeat.

I like to use three strips to do the masking - the first(a narrow one) along one side of the 'panel', another narrow one along the other side, then a 3rd to bridge the gap between, and to overlap, the two.

Good luck with 'the big one'. George, out..............

If you can find one of these Black Magic masks at a show or elsewhere for a decent price, buy it! I tried to buy one on eBay a few months ago but gave up when the bidding got to over $40!! :blink:/>

I have one of these kits as well that I've been working on again/off again (I'm doing an B-36F so I've removed the dual tail radar bumps already as well as made a single flight engineer station) so good luck with yours!

-Derek

I have one in 1/144. It seems like a,daunting task.... :(/>/>

I tried several different ideas on the Hobbycraft B-36..masking, decal strips, even Bare Metal foil strips for the framing. In the end, I gave up and went Old School: got out the teeniest brush I had, and hand-painted the little suckers!

I never have finished it. Despite spending hours rebuilding the leading edge intakes and fixing the wing dihedral issues, I was unhappy with the paint job. I'd love to strip and repaint it, but the decals are already on, and as far as I know, nobody makes aftermarket decals for the kit.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Ez masks list one for the 1/144 kit

Yup...can't figure out why they haven't up sized it???

Good thing about EZ Masks, they come with the silhouette of the mask printed on the instruction sheet in actual size. I have used the P-3 Orion mask in 1/72 and reduced the instruction on the copier to use as a guide in cutting out 1/144 masks.

I guess I could do the same with the 1/144 B-36...anyone want to send me a copy of the B-36 EZ Mask instruction sheet ?? :)

• 1 year later...

Whitey,  How did you "print" the 1/144 P-3 mask?  On blank white paper, then cut out and transfer to tape?  Seems tedious.  I have the Eduard 1/72 P-3 masks on kabuki tape.  I plan on scanning the instructions, reducing the artwork to 1/144  and "printing" it onto blue masking tape stuck to a sheet of white paper, then just trimming it out.  As I have 30+ 1/144 P-3 kits, I should make several copies onto the widest piece of blue tape I can find.  What do you think?  R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Whitey,  How did you "print" the 1/144 P-3 mask?  On blank white paper, then cut out and transfer to tape?  Seems tedious.  I have the Eduard 1/72 P-3 masks on kabuki tape.  I plan on scanning the instructions, reducing the artwork to 1/144  and "printing" it onto blue masking tape stuck to a sheet of white paper, then just trimming it out.  As I have 30+ 1/144 P-3 kits, I should make several copies onto the widest piece of blue tape I can find.  What do you think?  R/ Dutch

Dutch,

You can lay the tape on the paper and print directly to the tape. Have tried it once and worked well enough. Oh and I assume if your kits are the Arii/LS kits that you will modify the 6 panel Electra windscreen provided in the kit to a 5 panel P-3 windscreen?

Ray, Yes, of course.  I did not do it on my first two LS kits, because I was too naïve to notice.  So, that begs the question if the juice is worth the squeeze to produce a correct P-3 windscreen in 1/144 and get it produced by one of the 3-D printer types out there?  Hmmm...  I think you're on to something there!

Edited by Dutch
17 hours ago, Dutch said:

Hey Dutch, yeah, I just printed it on paper, cut out and traced to tape. Your idea sounds much simpler!

Still looking for that 1/72 B-36 mask though... :crying:

Edited by 82Whitey51

On my last couple of Peacemakers, I just used some white glue with a drop of dish soap and a drop of water.  Basically made my own liquid mask and it went pretty quickly.  Painted the canopy and then popped off the dried glue squares after the paint had dried.  

3 hours ago, echolmberg said:

On my last couple of Peacemakers, I just used some white glue with a drop of dish soap and a drop of water.  Basically made my own liquid mask and it went pretty quickly.  Painted the canopy and then popped off the dried glue squares after the paint had dried.  

Excellent suggestion.  I suppose it works better for a canopy where the frame lines are slightly raised above the pane level?  Don't have a Monogram 1/72 B-36, so don't know.  But I once had their 1/48 B-29 and the frames were raised slightly, so your idea would be ideal.  Unfortunately, for 1/144, a tape mask would be best.  In my case, the LS / ARII P-3 window panes depict a L-188 Electra and completely miss the P-3 Orion center pane, hence my possible attempt at having a correction 3-D printed in clear plastic.  We shall see.