Hi..

I understand this isn't modelling related but thought I'd pass along the warning anyway. This is a very sophisticated scam.

There is a small group of people in Texas calling from 940 759 4745 claiming to be the fraud department of VISA, Mastercard, or whomever. They called my girl friend this morning at 8am claiming that someone had fraudulently tried to use her account to wire transfer money to another account. They wanted her to log into her bank account to go through transactions. This is standard OP for real banks, and given that she'd just crawled out of bed to answer the phone, she didn't really think of any reason not to.

The trouble is that these scammers were waiting for her to log into her account on her computer which already had some form of Backdoor Trojan installed. The police are involved now and they're aware that somehow these scamers got enough information from her computer that they were able to call her directly to confirm enough information to get her to log on. We don't really know where the Trojan came from.

To her, everything seemed above board because the scammers already had what they needed except direct access to a bank account, which they got by watching the browser traffic she was unknowingly sending them. Anyway, they called at 8am, and by 11am this morning, they'd done some pretty good damage. They even got into her Facebook account had been using it to post white supremacist messages. We're working with the bank to see how much of her account we can recover from insurance and fraud security but we don't think we'll get it all. She's also closed all her other accounts and credit cards. And changed her Facebook page.

So anyway, just be aware. These guys are very sophisticated and are very good at what they do. Sheryl's no dummy but even she got fooled.

If you get a call from the number above, you're forewarned.

Edited by RiderFan

Hey David thanks for the warning. I had actually heard about some phone scams but not this one exactly. What I read was similar in that they call very early in the morning when you are barely awake. Being groggy and not fully awake makes you susceptible to these sort of scams unfortunately.

Anyway, what we have been doing is not answering any calls from numbers we do not recognize which we though was working pretty good until we got a call from ourselves. I shoot you not. The call display had our number!! Gee you think this is bogus? So we have even been more careful and make the answering machine answer. We have told our friends to leave a message or we don't call them back.

It is getting really hard to stay one step ahead of these pieces of garbage and in my mind if they ever get caught, jail is too good for them with 3 squares a day and a place to sleep :angry: :angry:

We really don't have any details on how the Trojan got on the machine. Could have been any number of ways I'd imagine.

Do you know the name or some other ID of the Trojan?