Sorry if this is a tired, dead horse subject, but I value input from my fellow ARCers, and am looking for opinions on which kit to go with for a Tornado build. I have the Italeri IDS and ECR, as well as the Hobby Boss IDS kits in my stash, but I'm willing to buy another if there's a better kit out there. I know there are a lot of parameters when talking about "the best kit", but overall what do you think?

Thanks and happy modeling

I'm slowly working through my Revell Tonka, the way they parts are designed is making me treat the path like I knows it got Claymores somewhere. The instructions are :doh::soapbox::bandhead2: AWFULLY produced, in fact I've gone through and added post-it notes to help streamline things. Already decided to build it clean - no dropped control surfaces or deployed speedboards or thrust buckets - getting it built will be an accomplishment. THENNN I plan to try my first shot at Lifecolor Desert Pink paint over a green/gray base camo, to simulate the worn temporary paint on Granby birds - those things got really grimy during the campaign. Back to your inquiry though - I got the Revell kit since I had been unhappy with the Italeri kits lack of detail and the HB kits strange canopy lines, and the Revell kit was $24 at my LHS to boot. Over on Britmodeler there is a pinned WIP article by a guy who is really detailing his build, though progress stalled as he hasn't updated in a long time. Cheers and good luck on your Tonka

I have the HB and the Revell kits, neither of which I have built yet. In terms of on the spruce plastic, the Revell has the edge by a long way IMHO and going by what other have said on these and other forums, it's much more accurate as well. Get yourself some AM decals though.

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

I'm slowly working through my Revell Tonka, the way they parts are designed is making me treat the path like I knows it got Claymores somewhere. The instructions are :doh:/> :soapbox:/> :bandhead2:/> AWFULLY produced, in fact I've gone through and added post-it notes to help streamline things. Already decided to build it clean - no dropped control surfaces or deployed speedboards or thrust buckets - getting it built will be an accomplishment. THENNN I plan to try my first shot at Lifecolor Desert Pink paint over a green/gray base camo, to simulate the worn temporary paint on Granby birds - those things got really grimy during the campaign. Back to your inquiry though - I got the Revell kit since I had been unhappy with the Italeri kits lack of detail and the HB kits strange canopy lines, and the Revell kit was $24 at my LHS to boot. Over on Britmodeler there is a pinned WIP article by a guy who is really detailing his build, though progress stalled as he hasn't updated in a long time. Cheers and good luck on your Tonka

Is it really that difficult of a build? I was thinking about grabbing one but if the horror stories I'm hearing are true and at the rate I build a kit, then I might just have to pass on this because it won't get finished by me if that's the case till 3005!

The new Revell kit is the biggest controversy I have come upon. Yes, it has some issues in regards of fit and confusing instructions. Some modelers say it goes together nice, while others say it's unbuildable. The detail however, is yet unmatched for a Tornado in any scale. I just wished they included some pilots.

I also followed that Tornado build on Britmodeler, and he adressed a major issue when joining the forward fuselage to the center section. Do you really want that few extra degrees wingsweep? I don't see the need to modify it this much. Nobody is going to measure that. Oh yes, the thrust revers buckets as shown in the instructions, are on the wrong side.

That said, I've got three of the new Revell Tonkas here and I am planning to start the first one as a GR.1 sometime this year.

BTW: The new 1/48 Revell Tornado can be build externally as an IDS, ECR or GR.1 straight OOB. You just need decals.

Edited by Lancer512

I knew you guys would know the scoop. Had no idea that kit existed. Thanks for the input. Heading to HobbyTown tomorrow for some supplies, so hopefully they'll have one in stock. If not, I'm sure Sprue Bros will hook me up. Thanks again.

I'm slowly working through my Revell Tonka, the way they parts are designed is making me treat the path like I knows it got Claymores somewhere. The instructions are :doh:/> :soapbox:/> :bandhead2:/> AWFULLY produced, in fact I've gone through and added post-it notes to help streamline things. Already decided to build it clean - no dropped control surfaces or deployed speedboards or thrust buckets - getting it built will be an accomplishment. THENNN I plan to try my first shot at Lifecolor Desert Pink paint over a green/gray base camo, to simulate the worn temporary paint on Granby birds - those things got really grimy during the campaign. Back to your inquiry though - I got the Revell kit since I had been unhappy with the Italeri kits lack of detail and the HB kits strange canopy lines, and the Revell kit was $24 at my LHS to boot. Over on Britmodeler there is a pinned WIP article by a guy who is really detailing his build, though progress stalled as he hasn't updated in a long time. Cheers and good luck on your Tonka

I want to do a desert pink scheme as well. Built Hasegawa's 72nd years ago and used Humbrol with good results. I read that all of the main landing gear are split down the middle? Wonder what reason RG could have for doing that. Sounds like a lot of extra work unnecessarily.

I read that all of the main landing gear are split down the middle? Wonder what reason RG could have for doing that. Sounds like a lot of extra work unnecessarily.

Not just the main landing gear, the nose gear, too.

I guess it has something to do with the amount of detail?

And if that explanation fails, it is not extra work, instead it is the complimentary skill improvement :rolleyes:

Edited by Lancer512

I'm not sure why so many are having problems with the revell Tornado.

I built mine with no major snags.

I do recommend assembling the wings and flaps/slats before painting and then just masking the parts that are grey.

To me it was a very enjoyable kit, ad I am in no way a better modeler than anyone else out there.

IMG_15361_zpsbd7a751b.jpg

IMG_15411_zps223263e4.jpg

IMG_1274_zpsu15ellya.jpg

thanks guys, it was really a pleasure to build.

Did you fix the wing sweep? If not I can't tell anyhow. I am not sure if I will fix mine.

Beautiful build, I loved it the.first time you posted as well.

Hi Sebastian,

Answering to your question - which 1/48 Tornado is the best, - I'll have to say that the Revell kit is currently the best choice.

Having builded for a fellow pilot the only areas that needed some extra attention were the wings and flaps/slats. Other than that, you will really enjoy building this kit.

Hi Sebastian,

Answering to your question - which 1/48 Tornado is the best, - I'll have to say that the Revell kit is currently the best choice.

Having builded for a fellow pilot the only areas that needed some extra attention were the wings and flaps/slats. Other than that, you will really enjoy building this kit.

Thanks. Got mine today and have been doing some heavy sprue fondling as well as some initial clean up of mold seams etc. This is a beautiful kit. I had no idea this one was even out there. As I said, I have the Airfix, HB and Italeri kits and was originally asking which was better. Turns out neither. Now that my LHS is gone I'm not privy to all the talk and gossip of new releases and the like, which is why I value input from my fellow ARC members more than ever. I'm thinking of doing a WIP with this to put some pressure on me to actually build. Haven't actually completed a build since my wife passed at 32 three years ago. Lots of ambitious starts but no finishes. I've always wanted to build a Tornado. One of my favorites birds there are.

Thanks again everyone