• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

With the exception of the wheels, I don't see much of a visual difference from the F3F-1 airframe. Not sure how many of these were built but the marines had two with VMF-2 (which later became 232 red devils. I personally would much rather see a F6C-3 and a F6C-4.

Visually the two are very similar, but side by side the F3F is a bit larger.

Olimp / Pro-Resin have done most of the biplane era Curtis Hawks in 1/72 including the F6C-2 through -4 , nice resin kits.

Sorry just assumed 1/72. It seems like 1/48 is a tough scale for interwar stuff, good luck.

I Know, Classic Airframes and Accurate Miniatures is about it for 1/48 30s stuff.They are both defunked.

Edited by Otto

I Know, Classic Airframes and Accurate Miniatures is about it for 1/48 30s stuff.They are both defunked.

Mirage, Planet Models, and Attack Squadron offer some nice 1/48. New AMT, Lindberg, and Williams Bros 1/48 boxings are also available.

I do have about a half dozen Williams Pitcairns sitting on the shelf. The marines had a couple and one actually saw combat. fancy that. I will have to check out mirage and see what they have. I do also have some of the old AMT stuff. But it's just the idea of a NEW Supermarine S5 and S6 that is my fancy. A prototype Spitfire would also be nice. But------- I could probably go on--- and on--- and on.BANGHEAD2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just pre-ordered the kit from Arma Hobby. BTW, if you do pre-order, don't just press the PayPal button as it won't actually do anything useful. Instead, add the kit to your cart and complete the transaction from the cart--you can use PayPal from there...

Will post pix when it arrives. Who knows, a build of the F2F, along with the Accurate Miniatures' F3F and Gulfhawk could be fun.

• 2 months later...

The F2F arrived!

Attack-Squadron-Resin0_zpsdaw6ircp.jpg

The upper fuselage and struts are one piece, should make alignment easy. Also the cockpit and engine are one-piece affairs

Attack-Squadron-Resin4_zpsz3bvknhw.jpg

The PE includes LG doors.

Attack-Squadron-Resin6_zpsyk42mpqy.jpg

The decals include markings for 4 USN and 2 USMC aircraft

Attack-Squadron-Decals_zpsxukjwc4l.jpg

The LG struts have an integral copper rod for strength.

Just to add to Dnl142's post, here's something I had posted on Britmodeller:

Very nice resin castings (but watch out for loose pieces in your packaging, part of a slender attachment to the port fuselage had broken off with mine). The only part I could measure at this point is wingspan and that is within a twitch of the published 28 foot six inches. The kitmakers did not copy the detailing style of the Accurate Miniatures F3F's: the method of attaching the lower wings is different, the wings have more traditional rib detailing (happily just this side of 'starved cow') and the fuselage emphasises the overlap of panels. The hatch on the starboard rear will need some sanding down, since it stands out a scale inch or so. Decals are comprehensive, the sheet is a semi-matt and you might want to trim closely.

The finish instructions are wrong. Most of the schemes are described with "fuselage and wings in NAVAL AIRCRAFT GREY [sic] color". The color key gives an appropriate FS 595 equivalent of 16473 for Aircraft Gray, but this gray enamel was only used on metal areas (fuselage, struts). All the fabric areas (at least, those not covered with Orange-Yellow or squadron tail colors) were aluminium enamel. This use of enamel ended in the mid-1930's, when the U.S. Navy finally discovered the virtues of aluminium lacquer for metal areas and aluminium dope for fabric. Consequently, F2F's were repainted if and when they came in for major overhaul (and the none of the later F3F's,except the prototypes,had gray fuselages).

I am surprised that they even bothered to place Marine Corps markings with the kit. The Marines only had two of these and they actually got them AFTER they received F3F-2s.

I have a collection of 1/72 USN and USMC planes. Any word on the 1/72 release of this kit? I haven't heard much since the initial announcement, and then the 1/48 kit is released but no 1/72?

Thanks!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...