Awesome video of the 787-9 getting ready for Paris

This video was taken at Grant County International Airport in Moses Lake, Washington, about 75 miles from where I live. Boeing conducts test flights from there, and brought this Vietnam Airlines 787 to practice for the Paris Airshow this weekend. This is one of the most amazing videos I've seen of the Dreamliner yet. Check out the near-vertical take-off!

Aaron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p042qYxkUFo&feature=share

That was cool at around the 41 second mark of the video when they pulled it off the runway at a steep angle. Great camera shots! Nice paint scheme too.

Regards,

Don.

This video was taken at Grant County International Airport in Moses Lake, Washington, about 75 miles from where I live. Boeing conducts test flights from there, and brought this Vietnam Airlines 787 to practice for the Paris Airshow this weekend. This is one of the most amazing videos I've seen of the Dreamliner yet. Check out the near-vertical take-off!

Aaron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p042qYxkUFo&feature=share

Well bummer. All I get is...This video has been removed by the user.

Impressive... I still have to wonder what the point is. Is any airline going to make a purchase decision on the 787 based on a demo like this? I highly doubt it.

Also, I know the maneuvers are well within the aircraft limits but this wouldn't be the first time a plane crashed after the pilot tried to push the routine just a bit. The A-10 crash at Le Bourget back in the late 70's comes to mind. I just see something like this as having nothing to gain for BA and all to lose if things go awry.

That being said, I'd still love to see this in person! :)

Makes me think about a story that my daughter had when she came home from a Trenton Air Cadet Camp four years ago. They were all told that they would be going for a familiarization flight and found out that they were going for a ride in a Polaris. I don't think that they were too sure what exactly that was, but they were all excited...........until they boarded an Airbus. Holy family vacation! They were all on board, playing with the trays and joking it up. The aircraft started down the runway and suddenly went vertical. My daughter said there were screaming cadets and they all came away with an appreciation for what a Polaris could do.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by MacStingy

I think the angle of the camera exaggerated the 787 lift off just a bit. That being said, if you liked that video, check this one out.

http://theaviationist.com/2015/06/15/kc-10-almost-vertical-takeoff/

I can't believe that a KC-10 could pull off something like this. Wonder what the airspeed was when the pilot finally pushed it over? Had to be getting close to stalling. Something tells me that in today's AF, you won't be seeing this particular maneuver at your local airshow.

I wonder if Bud Holland is smiling in his grave?

Impressive... I still have to wonder what the point is. Is any airline going to make a purchase decision on the 787 based on a demo like this? I highly doubt it.

You might be surprised. Tex Johnston barrel rolled the Dash-80 in 1955 for that very reason. Airlines are people, and even in 2015, there is often an emotional component to big business decisions.

I beg to differ. I prefer the A350.

If you like European train locomotives :)

The 787 is the most elegant looking thing to come along in a very, very long time.

I think the 787-800 looks a bit on the fat side. The 787-900 looks nice, but what makes me like the A350 more is the wingbox. I know, it sounds strange, but it makes the bellyline look awesome. That combined with the big @ss engines makes it look cool.

Tell me this doesn't look great.

18171480598_047d1c1875.jpg

And look at this.

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Dammit jennings, now i'm stuck browsing the web looking at pics of the A350 and the 787. This is going to last for hours.

Edited by streetstream

The 787 is *fat*?? The -9 in particular is one of the most gracefully proportioned airplanes to come along in a very long time. With the fully blended windscreen shape (no "V" or flat panels) and the porpoise-like nose, it's just simply stunning looking. The A350 looks, like other Airbus products, like it was designed by a committee. Oh, that's right.. it was.

Dammit jennings, now i'm stuck browsing the web looking at pics of the A350 and the 787. This is going to last for hours.

He's really good at that.

Edited by AVGBob

I figured that was in Moses Lake, but wasn't sure. I am getting ready to head up there for a construction project that I'll be heading up. Looking forward to see what all air traffic flies in.

David