Guess the ZM booth will be my 1st stop on Thursday @ Nats

(Envy). Please take a lot of pictures of the model and the accompanying display that ZM will undoubtedly have. Their "booth" and personnel are always first rate.

Gene K

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just read on the Z-M website in one of 'the old man's blog' that the new 1/48 Phantom is a F-4J.

However, there were no photographs of the mock up included.

Anyone got any photographs yet?

Edited by j-basset

However, there were no photographs of the mock up included. Anyone got any photographs yet?

Did you read the first page of this thread?

As stated above, no pics yet from the (US) Gnats where ZM will have it on display starting tomorrow.

Gene K

Gene,

I did read the first page of this thread when it started.

What I meant was that there weren't any more recent photos in Z-M's latest old man blog posting on the Nats., which had photos of their stand.

But I take your point that I'm jumping the gun in this.

Regards,

Jason

Did you read the first page of this thread?

As stated above, no pics yet from the (US) Gnats where ZM will have it on display starting tomorrow.

Gene K

Do you have a link to that blog, please?

Going by the large exhaust cans, it's a Navy bird - likely a J ... but blowing up the picture (to extremes), there may be a break on the leading edge, so could be an S???

Reminds me of very early pictures of ZM boss when the company was just starting up, where there were several Phantoms models in the background on his workbench.

The new 1/48 Academy kit is good, but leaves plenty of room for what will undoubtedly be a better out-of-box experience.

Thanks, Darren, for an exciting heads up.

Gene K

There were also some shapes in that photo that looked like F11F Tigers.

I wonder what will be the added value of the kit over the Academy kit.

There was a completed Academy F-4D in the "Display" section of the forums recently. The radome and chin pod looked really weird to me, and when the kit came out others pointed out inaccuracies in the stabilators and I believe other areas too, though I can't recall that for sure. Hasegawa's kits always bothered me because the exhaust nozzles sit almost level to the fuselage, but should point down at the rear.

I guess there's room for improvement over both kits. I hope this new one is even closer to reality than the other two.

How about added price :)

I can't keep up with all of these new releases. I sure want to stay married but these new release sure make it hard to NOT buy stuff liek this. It makes it even worse since I also build 1/35 armour. Yeah silly me I know :)

I am excited with this new release and who knows I may even pick up one which will be my first ZM kit. Hopefully there will be some sort of early pre-order price like there was with the Tamiya Mosquito.

There was a completed Academy F-4D in the "Display" section of the forums recently. The radome and chin pod looked really weird to me, and when the kit came out others pointed out inaccuracies in the stabilators and I believe other areas too, though I can't recall that for sure. Hasegawa's kits always bothered me because the exhaust nozzles sit almost level to the fuselage, but should point down at the rear.

I guess there's room for improvement over both kits. I hope this new one is even closer to reality than the other two.

Oh someone will find something to whine about I'm sure. That's how it goes. As a matter of fact, there are pictures of it on FB already, so I suspect the red pens will come out very soon.

Edited by jinmmydel

Oh someone will find something to whine about I'm sure. That's how it goes. As a matter of fact, there are pictures of it on FB already, so I suspect the red pens will come out very soon.

On the otherhand, for a lot of people building an accurate replica is what the hobby is all about. Sure, there will likely never be the perfect model, but it's up to each individual to decide which errors are acceptable and which aren't. Pointing out the errors is hardly "whining" in my opinion, but rather statements of fact which allow the modelers who are most interested in the accuracy of shapes and details to make an informed decision about whether to buy a particular kit over another, or decide which errors are worth correcting and which they can live with.

Many people have no problem with Hasegawa's 1/48 Phantoms' nozzles pointing the wrong way, nor the lack of outboard slat actuator and hinge fairings and wrong outboard wing panel lines on their slatted versions. Others might care about such things. Pointing out the errors helps those individuals. And if those errors don't bother you? That's fine, too.

But please don't denigrate those who discover and point out the errors just because they don't matter to you, as they may matter to someone else.

I wonder the same thing… I cannot see how there will be a quantum leap from the Academy kit (but willing to be surprised!). I think simply correcting Academy's inaccuracies - while very important for some - may not 'wow' the crowd. I'm personally not jumping up and down over this announcement (even though I am very curious to see the kit tomorrow when I go to the Nats!!!!)

How long ago do you think Z-M decided to go ahead with this project? It has to be after Academy phantoms were announced given how long ago that was. With the general positive reception Academy has received, it baffles me Z-M would go ahead and launch a J knowing well Academy would get their Js out before them (which they did). I can understand a long-nose perhaps but a J?

Edited by Janissary

I'm with you, Scott. I was pretty much shouted down when I mentioned that radome shape back when the kit was released. It is great to see that a Phantom Pilot also saw that shape.

As for what can this kit add?,,,,,,,,,,,Maybe the correct nose shape and stabs?

Kits have been bumped down the "quality pecking order" for less improvement in other examples.

*insert standard disclaimers here, "it's your model", "no one knows any single correct color", "it looks like a Phantom to a man that worked as a Bus Boy for 52 years", "no one can see 17 millimeters", etc, etc