Looking at the photos, it seems to me they have the intended breakdown of the kit, but reproduced as a 3D printed model before committing to tooling. With 3D prints, you get fine "ridges" on the surface for the print layers, and primer will help smoothing that out after a little rubbing down and another layer of primer. The surface is rather featureless with no panel line detail (not important at this stage), which indicates they want to check the shapes and proportions by eye rather than relying on CAD renderings on the screen.

One feature of every(?) Phantom kit I wish they would change is the way the windshield attaches to the fuselage. Om some photos, it appears the clear portion extends all the way up to the "break" - similar to the Dassault Mirage series (including the Kfir). I was hoping Z-M would mould part of the fuselage so that one can keep the glue and injection gate well away from the clear areas...

Jens

The surface is rather featureless with no panel line detail (not important at this stage), which indicates they want to check the shapes and proportions by eye rather than relying on CAD renderings on the screen.

CAD model is convenient to have as you can slice the model anywhere you want. Some slicing could be of use here.

One feature of every(?) Phantom kit I wish they would change is the way the windshield attaches to the fuselage. Om some photos, it appears the clear portion extends all the way up to the "break" - similar to the Dassault Mirage series (including the Kfir). I was hoping Z-M would mould part of the fuselage so that one can keep the glue and injection gate well away from the clear areas...

Yesyesyesyesyesyes !

What's with the raised panel along the spine? Surely they're not going to make this a separate part? If they do, surely it won't fit that poorly?

I honestly fail to see how this will pay off from ZM.

I think it's a separate insert for a one piece fuselage top for the Navy versions while the USAF version will have a piece with the AR receptacle scribed into it.

That's my guess! Only a guess!!

Regarding the logic of having another 1/48 F-4J on the market, we have multiple Bf-109s, F-16s, Mustangs, etc., so why not have more kits of the mighty Phantom, too?

Since Z-M likes to have lots if internal detail, I wonder if that panel on the spine will be removable to show the fuselage fuel tanks?

Ben

Regarding the logic of having another 1/48 F-4J on the market, we have multiple Bf-109s, F-16s, Mustangs, etc., so why not have more kits of the mighty Phantom, too?

Since Z-M likes to have lots if internal detail, I wonder if that panel on the spine will be removable to show the fuselage fuel tanks?

Ben

Exactly. It will sell and sell well. And it looks like to me they intend to do a full range...which will also sale.

Well, after 3 Academy Bs and a C, I'm holding off on the Js till the ZM ones get a proper viewing/reviewing.

Sadly, Academy dropped the ball (and continue to do so with no revisions between versions) in some key areas which put their Phantoms into a second place good but not great.

Whoa...but what if this is the first production kit with 3D printed parts. Mind. Blown. :D/>

Except that it wouldn't be - there have been production kits with 3D printed parts for at least three years now.

Yesyesyesyesyesyes !

tumblr_inline_mizzjx37Gg1qz4rgp.gif

Shouldn't be a problem using side moulds.

Are those photos of the 1/48 or 1/32 kit? I'm guessing 1/48.

Looks pretty good from what I can see here. I'm a bit of a Phantom accuracy nut, so I'm sure this is going to provide quite a lot of entertainment!

1/48, the 1/32 discussion is pure wishful thinking, Z-M has not mentioned it.

In the first block of this chart it says they will develop both 1/48 and 1/32 scale versions

Thanks Scott. It seems quite a few people haven't actually read that text yet.

The only thing that got me wondering about which scale the presented model was in is that while the surface looks a little rough, the ejection handles were very cleanly done, which I guess just made it look a little bit like a larger model to me.

Except that it wouldn't be - there have been production kits with 3D printed parts for at least three years now.

Try more like 15+ years. Al Trendle had a 1/96 scale resin master done of his (horrible) 1/144 777 kit in 1999. I held it in my hands. It was massively expensive in those days, but it happened.

Here is part of the other side of the poster:

IMG_7636.jpg

Looks like a list of Phantom facts, not much info about their strategy yet.

I saw the 3D printed kit. It's currently too rough to tell how the shape is (different pieces were put together rather coarsely). I talked to someone at their stand (he was Japanese) and asked what they are going to make after the J, and what they thought about Academy's J. Their response was the C after the J, and that they did not follow Academy all that closely. Both answers were a little befuddling to say the least. I am not even sure if he was certain that C was coming next, didn't make much sense to me. They said they want to first see how their J is received and then make a decision about the other versions. They said they did not cut the molds yet for the J. All in all, I thought the unveiling of the kit was a little premature (hard to pass judgement about the non-existent plastic) and it was more like 'hey, we are working on the J' type of an announcement.

But, ZM did have a strong presence, and their corner stand saw quite a bit of traffic. Tamiya, on the other hand, looked unfortunately pretty desolate throughout the two days I was there:

IMG_7644.jpg

Tamiya, on the other hand, looked unfortunately pretty desolate throughout the two days I was there:

The US Nationals long ago lost the big vendor displays, especially from foreign firms like Tamiya and Hasegawa. Some of us older folks likely remember the Marco Polo heyday and the impressive Revell set ups (and kit announcements). Those displays alone were enough reason for some of us to attend.

Sadly long gone ... except for ZM, it seems.

Gene K

What's with the raised panel along the spine? Surely they're not going to make this a separate part? If they do, surely it won't fit that poorly?

I honestly fail to see how this will pay off from ZM.

It so you can open it up to see all the stupid parts inside!

It so you can open it up to see all the stupid parts inside!

"Stupid" :woot.gif:/>

I also like the rationale that it makes it easier for us modelers who won't have to sand that nasty seam running through all the fuel tank access plates ... or the refueling door ... or the various antenna configurations (F-4D Towel Rack, QF-4E, etc). I look at it as a welcome "buildability" consideration on part of ZM (maybe).

Gene K