CD48135 - RAAF F-18 Hornet - Part 1

Hey Kursad, since you have this artwork drawn, you are 90% of the way there to perhaps issue Australian F-18 Hornets. I think there were only a few companies who did that way back when such as Red Roo and I believe Hawkeye both from Australia. I am not 100% sure if either of them have done the new F-18E schemes which I believe very similar to their F-18A schemes.

I had originally posted this in the Australian Mirage topic. Sorry about that I am an idiot. Too excited I guess.

Edited by KursadA

Hi Chris,

I should have answered it in the Mirage thread - sorry. While many of the squadron insignia are similar in main respects, very little of what I had drawn for the RAAF Mirage sheet would actually be usable in a Hornet set. That said, Australia is one of my top 4 markets and I want to do more RAAF subjects in the future. I am already collecting references on some of the recent special Hornet schemes.

Hi Kursad

Thanks for listening and I do appreciate it. Actually it was good that you did not answer in the Mirage thread since it is not really related plus it makes this Australian F-18 info stand on its own :)

I have some Kodachrome slides I took of some Australian F-18A hornets when they were here in Canada at CFB Cold Lake for Maple Flag some years ago. Let me pull the slides and send them to you. There is even one with a CAF zap (sticker) on the inside landing gear door. A neat little nugget that will appeal to the Canadians. I took a close up of that too.

It would be nice if you could include some of the Aussie F-18s from Op Falconer (Australia in OIF). A company in Australia did make a sheet many years ago but they disappeared rather quickly and there has been nothing since.

Hey Kursad, since you have this artwork drawn, you are 90% of the way there to perhaps issue Australian F-18 Hornets. I think there were only a few companies who did that way back when such as Red Roo and I believe Hawkeye both from Australia. I am not 100% sure if either of them have done the new F-18E schemes which I believe very similar to their F-18A schemes.

I had originally posted this in the Australian Mirage topic. Sorry about that I am an idiot. Too excited I guess.

Chris,

The RAAF flies F/A-18Fs not Es. There have been a couple of issues of decals for the Fs when they were first delivered by Novascale and Southern Sky but these sheets are either very basic (for the first couple of jets) or OOP now. Hawkeye has a range of A model sheets in early schemes.

Kursad, It would be nice to see some new sheets for the Fs and current A schemes since they have changed a lot in the last 10 years or so (in both 1/48 and 1/72).

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Chris,

The RAAF flies F/A-18Fs not Es.

This is true. Serial numbers A44-201 to A44-212 are standard F/A-18Fs

However the second twelve aircraft are hybrids of F/A-18Fs and 18Gs with the wiring and external antennas of the F-18G. They are distinctive enough that should you want to build one of the serials A44-213 to A44-224 it's best to start with an EF-18G kit

The RAAF also has twelve EF-18G models on order. The first of them is due off of the production line about now, with IOC not until around 2017

Shane

Chris,

The RAAF flies F/A-18Fs not Es.

Oops that's right. My mistake. The two seater is an F not an E. I have an old Hawkeye sheet with a shark mouth but it is pretty basic and pretty old so not too hopeful it will work out. I do have the anniversary scheme decal put out by Leading Edge Models but have not used it as yet.

I had read about the EF-18Gs being ordered too. Pretty cool I think.

Edited by skyhawk174

Chris,

The RAAF flies F/A-18Fs not Es. There have been a couple of issues of decals for the Fs when they were first delivered by Novascale and Southern Sky but these sheets are either very basic (for the first couple of jets) or OOP now. Hawkeye has a range of A model sheets in early schemes.

Kursad, It would be nice to see some new sheets for the Fs and current A schemes since they have changed a lot in the last 10 years or so (in both 1/48 and 1/72).

+1!

This is true. Serial numbers A44-201 to A44-212 are standard F/A-18Fs

However the second twelve aircraft are hybrids of F/A-18Fs and 18Gs with the wiring and external antennas of the F-18G. They are distinctive enough that should you want to build one of the serials A44-213 to A44-224 it's best to start with an EF-18G kit

The RAAF also has twelve EF-18G models on order. The first of them is due off of the production line about now, with IOC not until around 2017

Shane

Thanks Shane, I was aware of this.

..and the EA-18Gs serials will be A46-301 - 312 :D

Chris,

The RAAF flies F/A-18Fs not Es. There have been a couple of issues of decals for the Fs when they were first delivered by Novascale and Southern Sky but these sheets are either very basic (for the first couple of jets) or OOP now.

Still available to order; http://www.southernskymodels.com.au/BoeingF-A-18FSuperHornetNo-1SQN2009-535.html

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to let everyone that I am getting close to finishing the RAAF Hornet / Super Hornet sheets. My goal is to get these out before the end of the year. Just like the RAAF Mirage sheets that were so well received by you, these should be the THE RAAF Hornet sheets to get.

• 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, phantom said:

Better make them Canadian now.

Ā 

LOL, not for some time Shawn,

Ā 

The firstĀ  RAAF Hornets won't be retired for a couple ofĀ years. Plenty of time to get a few legacy RAAF builds under the belt with Kursad's excellent decals :D

Ā 

8 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Nice to hear

Ā 

Some line jets would be nice with current 2OCU, 3SQN and 77SQN schemes. I wouldĀ love a 1/72 sheet or 2Ā :rolleyes:

Kursad, I have to agree with Ray, some ordinary line jets in the later schemes, and especially with the recent large mission scoreboards, would be more welcome than the special schemes to be honest. Bring em on!