Why cant the CH/HH-3 get some love?

So I'm plugging along on a shelf of doom project (old Revell CH-3 in 1/72) alongside my Sea King. It got me thinking about the lack of kits for this helo.

It was instrumental in Vietnam and later into the Cold War for the AFRes & ANG.

Just curious if anything might have been heard on a "to-do" list.

-Jeff

Edited by ST0RM

So I'm plugging along on a shelf of doom project (old Revell CH-3 in 1/72) alongside my Sea King. It got me thinking about the lack of kits for this helo.

It was instrumental in Vietnam and later into the Cold War for the AFRes & ANG.

Just curious if anything might have been heard on a "to-do" list.

-Jeff

Nothing that I've heard of. At one point, a long-departed ARC member (Cobra historian?) was working on a conversion of the 1/48 Hasegawa SH-3 to an HH-3, you should be able to find his build log someone on this forum. I wouldn't mind a 1/48th kit of this, as a kid, I recall seeing Coast Guard HH-3's flying out of Otis ANGB on Cape Cod.

Edited by 11bee

I think Whirlybird Decals in the UK released a 1/72 resin HH-3 kit a few years ago. I haven't seen it but their stuff is usually pretty good.

LD.

I have seen it at the UK nationals and yes it is very good, but also pricey.

That is one of the mysteries.

An iconic helo of the Vietnam war, with a decent service life post war. Used by the USCG and Italy in slightly modified form. It seems like a no brainer for Italeri who have a good history of doing helicopter kits, particularly those with ties to the Italian military.

Back many years, an Italian guy did a major modification of the Hasegawa SH-3 into an Italian CH-3 rescue bird - skinned with aluminum from Coke cans! Saw it at Telford (or maybe even Castle Donington). It was a sight to behold. I've never understood why the good old Jolly Green can't get any love.

Edited by Jennings

Man,

This brings back many memories from the good old Revell kit that I built many, many years ago (and more than once too!). It was in the days before Hasegawa and we only had Revell and Aurora back then! Also, I used to hang out on the corner of the fence at the Coast Guard station in San Diego as a young Naval Officer to do a little fence checking, when I had a little time off.

I once thought of trying to find another Revell kit to try to modify into an Italian S.A.R. bird but when I couldn't find one, my better judgement kicked in and I dropped the quest. I do have an Aurora kit in the stash but it seems a little less accurate than the Revell kit. It would be really nice to have Italeri do a new kit with options for a USAF or Italian S.A.R. bird. Sweet!

WARDOG

Hello gent!!

Still now I don't understand why the factories of modeling aren't interested to produce a kit of this glorious helicopter ....

Someone will hear our voices????

They could make a version of HH-3F in USCG , Italian Air Force,Argentina. While the version HH-3E SEA, Desert Storm, AFRES ....

I agree, that helo is really missing in 1/48! When Italeri is working on it I hope they make it better than their Wessex kits. New mold helos should be at the level on the e.g. MRC H-34 kits. Please!

Sure, a so-so Wessex is better than zero! But price is the same as MRC helo BUT the HAS.1 lacks of complete interior! No seat, no bench, no rack, no stretchers...unlike the HU.5 - has at least troop seats. MRC has all options in the box. (just one example). Pilot seats are wrong, also some color instructions...Decals are ovesized, have wrong writing. Unlike for the chinook there is no "upgrade set" made of resin and PE from Italeri.

You may be right, they sell their wessex kits because it is the best out there because the outraged Revell kit

is even worse. That is why I say PLEASE...do some orientation on good examples of new kits!