Academy F-15 B 'Baz'

Last year was without any finished modelling stuff for me. I have only started some projects. Along with an F-14, F-117, MIG-29, and F-106, this F-15 is nearly built, before painting.

I have changed the basic Academy F-15E no.1687 kit, schratched some details here-and there, and grabbed some stuff from my F-15I Ra'am kit, to be able to make a decent 'Baz'. My intension is to arm it with two popeye rockets under the wings, without any other pylons for python 3 or 4 (as i saw the configuration on photos), four sparrow missiles under the fast packs, and a targeting and data pod on the center pylon.

Here is the progress so far. Hope you will enjoy them.

The seats got some safety belts, and got some detail drilled out, and/or added.

2015-06-14%2018.29.51_zpsel7qbtwz.jpg

The small stuff are nearly ready. The cockpit tub, and the landing gear got some added detail as well. Only the sparrow missiles are missing. They came from an old tamiya kit, and need modifications too, before priming.

2015-06-14%2021.46.35_zps64ei2vt8.jpg

The airframe is modified too. Had to do a lot of filling. :(

20141213_084152_zpsxnnl9w5u.jpg

20141216_052920_zpspzouvwci.jpg

20141216_052935_zpspd3busqg.jpg

20141216_052950_zps4jikcijs.jpg

Definitely a good start. I am guessing by the photos that it's 1/32nd scale. Could you tell us the kit you are using? I certainly have an interest in IAF subjects and have a Ra'am waiting to go. I will be interested in following your progress on the Baz!

-Mark

THX Guys.

This kit is in 1/48th scale. This is the first release of the Academy's F-15E strike eagle. Will post new photos soon. My intension is to fully finish the cocpit this week, and join the nose section to the back part of the fuselage.

Oh !!! That's a lot of putty you have used there lad!!! Is the Academy kit really that bad or, just the kit you have?

The wings roots and the intake section are usually badly fit together. The nose section is horrible too (One half of the nose has an ugly shape, and needs a loto of sanding) The other sections i have filled are just bad luck, or my modifications.

Yso, looking good! Are the IP and side consoles from an Eduard PE set? You seem to be making some good progress despite the Academy fit issues.

-Mark

Hi taggor! THX! On this kit i don't intend to use any PE set, or other detailing set. Any detailing here is just schracthbuilding, and or built right from the box. I keep the good PE and resin stuffs for my later GWH and Revell F-15 builds.

The Academy F-15 as i wrote earlier, is not a good fitter one, and has "great" shape issues as well, but it looks like an F-15 when it is done for me. Plus on the other hand, this kit is cheaper than the Hasegawa, or the Revell F-15E kit, and not to say much cheaper than the GWH kit.

Regards, Yso

Edited by Yso
  • 2 weeks later...

Last week, i managed to make some progress on this bird. Not much, but for me now it was enough.

The nose and the back section is now together. Lots of filling and sanding sadly, to sorrect the common fitting and shape problems of the nose. :( Later i have to restore the panel lining, and do some riveting.

20150705_220906_zpsbivpdalw.jpg

20150705_220919_zpssvscdwzb.jpg

The air outlet under the back of the canopy don't have any grill, and during sanding of the joint, some part of the shallow circle disapeared. I had to replace it somehow, so i drilled out the outlet, and made a little circle shape grill from a plastic card, and glued it to place.

20150705_220857_zpsqugmgyli.jpg

20150706_061144_zpsfhwkbpoo.jpg

Plus i made the a starter engine outlet too. grabbed a section of the sprue, and drilled out the middle of it, to make a pipe for it. Drilled out the grill in its place, and glued my new pipe into it, looking little to the back.

20150705_220929_zpsogu2tags.jpg

• 4 months later...

Every time i come here, just wonder, how long it takes for me, to finish my builds recently. :)/> The last post i have made, was nearly a half year ago. :(/> But no regret, i have other thngs to attend to, so don't have anough time to sit down and relax, while makeing theese small wonders. This time i wished to make some small things to the windshield. Tried some stuff, to make the hooks, and finally got a material, a thick aluminium foil (from my child's food's wrapping foil), with enough strength and endurance to hold its form fter bending and stuff, with the ability to easily cut it with scissors, and a knife. Secondly i tried to make the front side too, with the mirrors. (I know there is so many PE sets for this out there, but on this build, i strictly want to leave them out. I will use the PE and resin sets, on my Revell F-15 builds later.... Plus excersising scratchbulding can be more fun for me. :D)

So, here is the first try, how it came out. Hope you will like it. :)/>

20151125_063917_zpszppxbgun.jpg

20151125_063923_zpsxwfsbsxm.jpg

20151125_063933_zpsnnndgiym.jpg

20151125_063943_zps1yar8uqy.jpg

20151125_063953_zpsruzn1wzx.jpg

20151125_063959_zpshkzezzhl.jpg

Yesterday evening i had time to add a new layer of paint, and glue together the whole cockpit's glass. The clear varnish i used (Future) for the glass seems to be imperfect. Is there any chance to repair it with some polishing, or i have to remove it, and do it all over again?

20151126_212423_zpsmkpmgcef.jpg

20151126_212638_zpsjz845jka.jpg

20151126_212644_zpszmgczjzq.jpg

The clear varnish i used (Future) for the glass seems to be imperfect. Is there any chance to repair it with some polishing, or i have to remove it, and do it all over again?

Remove it and either do it all over again or, if you have Tamiya's polishing compound give it a go!

Everything else look great.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice build you've done here 271.gif .

I'm in the process of converting a 1/32 Tamiya F-15C to an 'Improved' F-15C Baz.

I bought an F-15E lower section off of eBay in order to make an F-15C Baz with CFTs.

I haven't decided whether to build an a/c that took place in Operation Wooden leg or a CAP set up.

Your build thread will be a great source of info for my build 377.gif !

FYI: If you don't already know, the Baz uses two CT pylons:

1) A pylon's leading has the standard angled edge.

2) A pylon's leading edge is vertical.

Edited by Check Six

Before you go any further, that circular vent on the starboard side of the rear cockpit is NOT present on the F-15I...

it is a different shape and is somewhere on the conformal tank at the front on the same side IIRC

This one will be a Baz, and there is the vent you mentioned. But THX for the info. I looked after it, because i want to build a Ra'am too later. :)

I wasn't so satisfied with the canopy's result, i decidec to start it all over. But before going crazy about it, i turned myself onto finishing other small stuff for this Baz, and for my Testors F-14A build too, which is sitting on my modelling shelf half built from 2014, along with this one.

20151214_065746_zpsjexgwt7v.jpg

The landing gears are waiting for some varnish, and some weathering.

20151214_065803_zps2haek5cc.jpg

The AGM-142 Popeye missiles taken from the Academy's Ra'am kit, under construction. :)/> Have to fill the joints, because the fit is not 100% perfect.

20151214_065807_zpsgvnfq0xg.jpg

The Data pod, also from Academy's Ra'am kit, along with the four AIM-7M missiles. The decals for the pod are from the kit, and for the sparrows, i made them myself.

20151214_065834_zpssj3e2jz3.jpg

• 1 month later...

The eagle's (or to say Baz's) updates.

Final touches of the Data-Pod, and landing gears.

20151229_084143_zps8ggfzwcc.jpg

A little chipping for the pylons, and a fuel tank. (For the first time of my life, with chipping fluid - like the hairspray technique)

20151225_214607_zpshhwj1oom.jpg

20151225_214602_zpseki2mc6c.jpg

Again the "Sparrows"

20151229_084149_zpsaeka3jun.jpg

and the "Popeyes", now attached to the pylons.

20151229_084157_zpslz0noe70.jpg

and for last, some other thingies, with decalling.

20151229_084206_zpsysopdvjz.jpg

Now the birdie will be the next to finally correct, paint and finish...

Edited by Yso
  • 3 weeks later...

THX Guys.

Last weekend's update. I began the painting process of the bird. First primed all surfaces to see the flaws, and sanded details needed correction. Second correction of the panel lining and adding some riveting to the surfaces. (first the upper side, after that the lower section) Oh, riveting.... Can anyone help me to find any detail drawings with riveting from the bird? I have only two drawings from the upper and lower section which are not 100% correct in my opinion.

2016-02-08%2022.26.25_zpscrholjv9.jpg

2016-02-08%2022.26.30_zpsrkxqnyeh.jpg

Edited by Yso