Why does World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) even exist?

Maybe somebody here can shed some light on a topic I have wondered about for many years. Why does World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) even exist? Are some people actually that stupid that they believe these wrestlers are really trying to win their match fair and square, or does the whole charade provide some sort of comic relief, that for some reason is appealing to some? It must provide some sort of entertainment, because this is a huge money making enterprise. Huge men on steroids throwing chairs at each other, women with mammary apparatus pumped up to 50 psi and story lines that are so silly a 10 year shouldn't believe it.

I just.... don't..... get it. What am I missing?

WWE

I don't know, Chuck.

But, I do know that it has been going on since the 1950's.

Greg Boyington described what a wrestling referee's job entailed in the 50's in his biography.

People have been squaring off with cries of "Wrastlin's Reel" and "Wrestling is fake" at least that long.

But, when a referee describes the process of whipping the crowd up in excitement and describes how he decides the time is right for the "hero" to put the winning hold on the "heel", and then all three walk off together to protect each other from the crowd,,,,,,that pretty much says it all for me.

....this is a huge money making enterprise.

WWE

Oh look you just answered your own question. It's entertainment. Some people like it, some don't. I don't like Game of Thrones or any superhero movie ever made. I think they are stupid. Why do they exist? Because people like them probably. But this really wasn't anything more than to prove what an intellectual superior you are for not liking it...right?

Oh look you just answered your own question. It's entertainment. Some people like it, some don't. I don't like Game of Thrones or any superhero movie ever made. I think they are stupid. Why do they exist? Because people like them probably. But this really wasn't anything more than to prove what an intellectual superior you are for not liking it...right?

Not at all. I honestly can't believe that there are that many people in the world who would find this entertaining. There are many weird things that some people like, but they are usually in limited groups. I don't like Game of Thrones or the Superhero movies either, but it's fairly easy to understand why others do.

I see you're a real charmer in this forum.

Mr. Congeniality

I like watching it about as much as I like watching opera!! I've never figured out why people enjoy either :dontknow: but to each his own, and I guess a long as someone can make money promoting either or, then they will both continue.

I have no idea what folks find interesting in it. Its really not my thing but somebody must like it and it must make enough money to warrant keeping it on TV. Based on what I see in commercials it seems to draw pretty decent crowds too. Meh, to each his own. Like I said, it does not interest me in the least so I just don't watch. Plenty of other things to watch and in my humble opinion there is far worse on TV. But that's me.

Happy modeling!

Don.

I watched it as a small boy in the 1960's when it was called the WWF. We actually believed it was real back then. Today it's a huge money making machine. They usually sell out all the major sports arenas where ever they have their traveling show. The McMahons who own the majority of the WWE corp. have made literally mega millions, and some of the wrestlers have become quite wealthy. Some have even used their popularity to get into the movies like the Rock.

Joel

You know, if you try really really hard, you may actually find people that don't understand how we, a bunch of mostly grown men, could find joy in buying an expensive plastic toy that isn't even put together, and spend hours upon hours and tons of money to put it together and paint it using hours upon hours of research to find the exact shape and color of items on the toy. And then when we are done, we don't even play with it or let anyone else play with it. I would imagine there are those out there that totally don't understand that. But we know what we like about it and that's all that matters. I don't watch WW whatever...but I understand a LOT of people do. If you really think about it, probably a lot more people than those that build models. To them, we are nuts...and they are right. Just sayin'....

Bill

Edited by niart17

You know, if you try really really hard, you may actually find people that don't understand how we, a bunch of mostly grown men, could find joy in buying an expensive plastic toy that isn't even put together, and spend hours upon hours and tons of money to put it together and paint it using hours upon hours of research to find the exact shape and color of items on the toy. And then when we are done, we don't even play with it or let anyone else play with it. I would imagine there are those out there that totally don't understand that. But we know what we like about it and that's all that matters. I don't watch WW whatever...but I understand a LOT of people do. If you really think about it, probably a lot more people than those that build models. To them, we are nuts...and they are right. Just sayin'....

Bill

Good answer. :thumbsup: One big difference is that NOBODY is making a financial killing gluing pieces of plastic together. Nobody!

Maybe somebody here can shed some light on a topic I have wondered about for many years. Why does World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) even exist? Are some people actually that stupid that they believe these wrestlers are really trying to win their match fair and square, or does the whole charade provide some sort of comic relief, that for some reason is appealing to some? It must provide some sort of entertainment, because this is a huge money making enterprise. Huge men on steroids throwing chairs at each other, women with mammary apparatus pumped up to 50 psi and story lines that are so silly a 10 year shouldn't believe it.

I just.... don't..... get it. What am I missing?

WWE

There is a sucker born every minute.

It never appealed to me anymore than rollerderby, bowling for dollars, or the other similar shows that have been on over the decades. One time I was flipping through the channels just in time to see a wrestling match, or ballet, when one contestant grabbed a convenient chair and smashed it down on his opponent. Unfortunately the camera angle clearly showed that the chair never touched the guy on the mat who was acting like he hd just been hit hard.

big waste of time.

To tell you the truth guys, I was thinking that somebody would pipe in and say something along the lines of, "Of course we know it's all fake, but we like to laugh at all the bad acting and shenanigans while the girls, while dumb as a sack of rocks, are pretty hot and great to look at"- or something along those lines. That I can accept, even though it's not to my taste. What I think happens more than not, is that some people actually believe it's all real, which is pretty sad if it's true. Yeah, yeah, to each their own and all that, which is why "Honey Boo-Boo" used to be such a popular reality show.

Ah-Ha! Not plastic! 1/12 scale, scratch made out of brass by somebody who is likely important and no doubt super rare. I almost get that one.

Why does World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) even exist?

Only because there's a market for it.

To tell you the truth guys, I was thinking that somebody would pipe in and say something along the lines of, "Of course we know it's all fake, but we like to laugh at all the bad acting and shenanigans while the girls, while dumb as a sack of rocks, are pretty hot and great to look at"- or something along those lines.

Having worked for WWF I can state that this is more true than most people will ever know.

Ken