Why does World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) even exist?

I enjoyed it as a kid.

Back in the late 90s I once had a talent scout try to recruit me for wrestling, kept his card for a while in case I didn't graduate with my engineering degree! :cheers:

Why does World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) even exist?

The WWE has been described to me as an action soap opera for men. And If you watch a few episodes it pretty much is. This is not to say that I watch it any more, I grew out of it a very long time ago.

Because General Hospital sucks!

Hope that solves the mystery....... :thumbsup:

To tell you the truth guys, I was thinking that somebody would pipe in and say something along the lines of, "Of course we know it's all fake, but we like to laugh at all the bad acting and shenanigans while the girls, while dumb as a sack of rocks, are pretty hot and great to look at"- or something along those lines. That I can accept, even though it's not to my taste. What I think happens more than not, is that some people actually believe it's all real, which is pretty sad if it's true. Yeah, yeah, to each their own and all that, which is why "Honey Boo-Boo" used to be such a popular reality show.

WWE admitted years ago that it was fake, hence the change to WWE.

You know, if you try really really hard, you may actually find people that don't understand how we, a bunch of mostly grown men, could find joy in buying an expensive plastic toy that isn't even put together, and spend hours upon hours and tons of money to put it together and paint it using hours upon hours of research to find the exact shape and color of items on the toy. And then when we are done, we don't even play with it or let anyone else play with it. I would imagine there are those out there that totally don't understand that. But we know what we like about it and that's all that matters. I don't watch WW whatever...but I understand a LOT of people do. If you really think about it, probably a lot more people than those that build models. To them, we are nuts...and they are right. Just sayin'....

Bill

It really isn't hard to find them.... one them is also known as my wife.

I've watched WWF/E since I was about 8 years old, and I'm not ashamed to say I still watch it, and enjoy the hell out of it. It was HUGE when I was in high school. There was a group of about 5 of us that watched it, and we drove our teacher nuts every Tuesday morning discussing the previous evening's Monday Night RAW. And yeah, when I was younger, I thought everything was real and that the characters legit "hated" each other (when I was like 9, I thought "Earthquake" was the biggest a**hole for sneak attacking and "injuring" my favorite dude, Hulk Hogan) but now I know that's not the case. It's staged (I won't say "fake," because there are *real* injuries that happen, and these guys are very athletic and I respect what they do), but so what? I'm still entertained by it. Not everybody's cup of tea, I know. I don't expect it to be. Just like watching, say, "House Hunters," or "Next Food Network Star" (yeah, random examples, I know) isn't my cup of tea. I couldn't care less about people buying a house or trying to cook something on camera.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

I can't stand it. But at least (now) they admit it's all staged. Which is better than most other sports that everyone considers 'legit', which have all had fixing scandals - soccer, baseball, basketball, everything. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_fixing (And I will add that this does omit some things like 'deliberate errors' by the referee in order to obtain desired results, like the ridiculous call at the 2012 Olympics against Canadian goalie Erin McLeod that led to the US beating Canada in the semi-finals of the women's soccer competition. Or, one could also mention the blatantly wrong "handball" call against NZ defender Ria Percival the other day, giving China a penalty kick that allowed them to tie the match).

The WWE is terrible. The WWF however . . .

At its peak it was like a soap opera but much funnier and more entertaining. Of course it is scripted, but so is pretty much every other show on television apart from real sports.

You know, if you try really really hard, you may actually find people that don't understand how we, a bunch of mostly grown men, could find joy in buying an expensive plastic toy that isn't even put together, and spend hours upon hours and tons of money to put it together and paint it using hours upon hours of research to find the exact shape and color of items on the toy. And then when we are done, we don't even play with it or let anyone else play with it. I would imagine there are those out there that totally don't understand that. But we know what we like about it and that's all that matters. I don't watch WW whatever...but I understand a LOT of people do. If you really think about it, probably a lot more people than those that build models. To them, we are nuts...and they are right. Just sayin'....

Bill

+1. I don't get it, but my wife doesn't get modeling. There are a bunch of hobbies out there I find boring as hell, but people spend millions of dollars and hours doing every year. To each their own. As long as it isn't harming anyone else, who cares?

It's just theater for guys in unitards.

It's centered around concepts even the least educated can identify, and the fantasy part about it makes it less deadly than a gladiator match.

Not that hard to figure out there chuck.

It's just theater for guys in unitards.

It's centered around concepts even the least educated can identify, and the fantasy part about it makes it less deadly than a gladiator match.

Not that hard to figure out there chuck.

Panem et circenses. Been working on populations since Rome indeed.

Edited by Platycqb

Panem et circenses. Been working on populations since Rome indeed.

Most aren't getting quite enough bread, so the solution is make more and more extravagant circuses.

"wrasslin" is no more fake than "reality" TV. They both follow scripts. I'd rather watch the wrasslin, myself. At least there's some athletic ability in being able to do all that stuff without maiming each other. In point of fact, I watch neither since I don't even have a TV connected to anything but a blu-ray, but I did go to a lot of professional wrestling when I was a kid. My dad would take us to the Conroy Bull auditorium on Schofield Barracks or the Bloch Arena on Pearl Harbor to watch Freddy Blassy, the Sheik, Peter Maivia, Curtis "the Bull" Iaukea, Pampero "the Missing Link" Firpo...good times, throwing peanuts, screaming at the bad guys (whoever they happened to be that week) cheering the good guys (same story, different week)...

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

I thought it changed to WWE from WWF mostly due to a suit from the World Wildlife Fund.

I remember when they insisted it was real, and made a big deal of it. Anyone remember this?

WHile I don't really care about it, I though WWF had to change its name after losing a lawsuit brought by the World Wildlife Fund, who were upset that there was another organization that used the initials "WWF".

Most aren't getting quite enough bread, so the solution is make more and more extravagant circuses.

Hence the Kardashian.

WHile I don't really care about it, I though WWF had to change its name after losing a lawsuit brought by the World Wildlife Fund, who were upset that there was another organization that used the initials "WWF".

And you don't want to mess with a friggin Panda!

I've watched WWF/E since I was about 8 years old, and I'm not ashamed to say I still watch it, and enjoy the hell out of it. It was HUGE when I was in high school. There was a group of about 5 of us that watched it, and we drove our teacher nuts every Tuesday morning discussing the previous evening's Monday Night RAW. And yeah, when I was younger, I thought everything was real and that the characters legit "hated" each other (when I was like 9, I thought "Earthquake" was the biggest a**hole for sneak attacking and "injuring" my favorite dude, Hulk Hogan) but now I know that's not the case. It's staged (I won't say "fake," because there are *real* injuries that happen, and these guys are very athletic and I respect what they do), but so what? I'm still entertained by it. Not everybody's cup of tea, I know. I don't expect it to be. Just like watching, say, "House Hunters," or "Next Food Network Star" (yeah, random examples, I know) isn't my cup of tea. I couldn't care less about people buying a house or trying to cook something on camera.

Finally, somebody who admits watching it and, more importantly, liking it. What, exactly, is the entertainment value? What is a good match, what is bad match, what exactly do you like to see? I am not making fun of you. I just want to know.

Seriously, for the record, I am not trying to pretend I'm smarter than anyone else, like "ProfessorOfCharm" has asserted. I actually get why some would want to watch reality shows, cooking shows, house renovation shows, etc., but this genre has me stumped.

IMHO most sports are going toward, less action on the field and more "What so and so said to such and such before the game" and stupid crap like "Handshake gate"

American Sports are less and less about sport.

The NFL will be the WWF/WWE in 10 years. Twitter and instagram and facebook will make it possible too, as players can smack talk and then spend 3 hours on the field mock tackling each other in order to avoid fines, flags, and future lawsuits. And to keep this going:

funny-Fantasy-Football-Dungeons-Dragons-game1.jpg

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

I'll admit that I watch WWE from time to time. Yeah, it's fake, staged, however you want to put it. Why do I watch it? It's entertaining. Sometimes, they (WWE) comes up with some creative storylines and characters.

For me, a good match is one that has been building for a while and has the crowd on the edge of their seats. When the crowd gets involved in a match, they can be pretty exciting. Bad matches? Kind of the opposite. Lack of crowd participation and a lame storyline. As far as what I like to watch, well, it's the storylines. If it's an interesting angle between two good wrestlers, who know how to work a crowd, I'm hooked. It's kind of fun to predict what will happen......most of the time, you can see a plot twist a mile away, yes, it can be that obvious. Funny thing is, sometimes, the storylines will mirror real life events, news, etc.

I don't know if that explains things a bit.

In any case, I don't watch it as much as I used too, so I guess I'm just a fairweather fan.

Edited by Colin K

In the 80s. I got way more entertainment value from Stampede Wrestling out of Calgary. We used to go see the boys when they played Regina, and cheered on the bad guys, much to the confusion of the crowd and the wrestlers themselves. "Karachi Vice"

Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

Finally, somebody who admits watching it and, more importantly, liking it. What, exactly, is the entertainment value? What is a good match, what is bad match, what exactly do you like to see? I am not making fun of you. I just want to know.

Seriously, for the record, I am not trying to pretend I'm smarter than anyone else, like "ProfessorOfCharm" has asserted. I actually get why some would want to watch reality shows, cooking shows, house renovation shows, etc., but this genre has me stumped.

I don't really care for wrestling, but really, when you get right down to it, is it any different than any other fictional show or movie? When someone watches television shows like "Game of Thrones" or "Law and Order," or even movies like "Top Gun" or "Unforgiven," they're watching a completely fictional story set up by writers where characters are given certain traits and lines to make them heroes and villains, not that different than the WWE "characters."

I think a lot of it is what Ken mentioned above, and I think a lot of it is that I've just watched it since I was a child, and I just kind of stuck with it. I do enjoy the storylines and characters, and sometimes (especially back during the Attitude Era), there's some pretty good comedy in some of the promos/vignettes that they do. And the actual wrestling is very impressive to watch, considering the choreography and such that goes into it.

In the 80s. I got way more entertainment value from Stampede Wrestling out of Calgary. We used to go see the boys when they played Regina, and cheered on the bad guys, much to the confusion of the crowd and the wrestlers themselves. "Karachi Vice"

Tony

My friend Dwight and I used to watch the same when we were kids, we loved it whenever Foley got beat up (which didn't happen often enough).

The two of us would sit with pillows so we had something to punch whenever we were frustrated. Then one day we saw a bunch of the bad guys getting into the same limo with the good guys at Edmonton International.