Hobby Craft 1/48 Thai Curtiss Hawk

Hi all

Here are a few images of my Thai Hawk 75N. It represents a machine flown by Sergeant Sangwan Worrasap of the 66th Wing, 60th Pursuit Squadron while based at Don Muang, Thailand in the Spring of 1941.

Fuselage

- kit seat replaced with Ultracast resin seat

- structural detail added to floor

- Hi-Tech resin sidewalls added

- antenna wires made from stretched sprue

- machine gun breeches added to instrument panel

- cowl machine gun blast tubes made from metal tubing

- kit ring sight replaced with photo-etched ring sight

- ignition wires added to engine

- correct size engine from Tamiya Buffalo used to replace kit engine

- fuel tank drain and vent pipes added

- incorrect fuel filler doors removed from right side

- engine cowl modified to correctly represent 75N cowl

Wings

- shell ejection ports added to 23mm wing gun gondolas

- landing light replaced with MV Products lens

- missing panel lines added to rear stabilizers

Paint and Decals

- airframe painted with Xtracolor X391 French Vert Fonce, X614 East German MiG 29 Brown, X138 ADC Grey FS 16473, X342 United Airlines Dark Blue, Model Master Classic White and a mix of Humbrol red and crimson

- kit decals used

- model is weathered with chalk pastels

References

- Random Thoughts 27-2, IPMS Canada

- Random Thoughts 27-3, IPMS Canada

- AJ Press Monograph No. 61, Curtiss P-36 Hawk Part 1, by Marek Rys

- AJ Press Monograph No. 62, Curtiss P-36 Hawk Part 2, by Marek Rys and Seweryn Fleischer

- AJ Press Monograph No. 63, Curtiss P-36 Hawk Part 3, by Jiri Chodil and Seweryn Fleischer

- Historical Aviation Drawings No. 7-62-A, by Paul Matt

- Curtiss Hawk 75, by Gerry Beauchamp

DSCF2073_zpsea834d06.jpg

DSCF2074_zps76acc918.jpg

DSCF2075_zps0b3d8c9b.jpg

DSCF2076_zpsbada6bed.jpg

DSCF2078_zps22a578b1.jpg

DSCF2080_zps54e183c8.jpg

Cheers

Randy

I really like the spatted, export Hawks and the Thai ones are particularly nice. You've done a wonderful job! Thanks for listing your changes, too - should I ever try this myself it's handy to know what needs to be done.

Absolutely wonderful!!! Glad to see another Thai model. Very neat and sharp finish. Randy, I like your attention even to the smallest details and improve/correct/detail many areas of this model. I am sure she will be a showstopper. Cheers! :thumbsup:

I really like the spatted, export Hawks and the Thai ones are particularly nice. You've done a wonderful job! Thanks for listing your changes, too - should I ever try this myself it's handy to know what needs to be done.

Hi Zac

Thanks much. The changes are mostly just small things that make a big difference to the overall look of the model. It really helps to have a photo of the actual subject you wish to model as there are so many small features that are not consistent from one airframe to the next.

Cheers

Randy

Absolutely wonderful!!! Glad to see another Thai model. Very neat and sharp finish. Randy, I like your attention even to the smallest details and improve/correct/detail many areas of this model. I am sure she will be a showstopper. Cheers! :thumbsup:/>

Thank you very much.

This is just one of seven which I have built and is part of a master plan to have a Hawk in the markings of each nation that operated the P-36. May never happen as the kit can be a bit exhausting to work on.

Cheers

Randy