Finished Tamiya 1/48 P-47D OOB

My step-daughters name is Maggie...so when I saw these decals...there was no question I was going to pull out this kit from the stash and start building. Straight OOB build with a mixture of Alclad and the new AK metal paste I tried for the first time (not that bad).

Cheers

Collin

DSCN6394.jpg

DSCN6386.jpg

DSCN6396.jpg

DSCN6385.jpg

An outstanding job!

How did you manage the decals? Especially the black and yellow check around the cowling?

I was so traumatized by Tamiya's decals on the 1/48 Mustang III I did, that I can't bring myself to use them again...

An outstanding job!

How did you manage the decals? Especially the black and yellow check around the cowling?

I was so traumatized by Tamiya's decals on the 1/48 Mustang III I did, that I can't bring myself to use them again...

The aftermarket AMDG decals are terrific. Thin and very well made, BUT the checkerboard decals were so thin they folded up when I put them on. After about 30 minutes I just couldn't make them work (that may have been more me than the decals....the rest of the decals you see on the kit are from the AMDG sheet...and they are fantastic).

Luckily I had an old Aero Master decal sheet than had a P-47 with the same checkerboard cowling, those went on without much hassle. I place them on with water and Micro Set, then after they dried 15-20 minutes, I hit them with Micro Sol...AND WALKED AWAY OVERNIGHT. Next morning there was a wrinkle or two, but I then applied a thin coat of Tamiya acrylic thinner (X-20A) and that took care of those. The results of this method is what you see above.

Cheers

Collin

Great result.

How did you tone down the yellow in the checkerboard area to give it that smokey appearance?

Thanks

I think the resultant yellow was toned down during the semi-gloss overcoat and AK washing I did. That process sorta took the pure colors out of it...more like a filter would do I suppose.

Cheers

Collin