Hi Guys,

I have a self imposed deadline for this project so I will be using most of my spare time for this.

I haven't figured out which of these birds I'm going to be building but it will look something like this:

Air-Force-Force-Aerienne-CH-149-Cormorant-Search-and-Rescue-Helicopter-Helicoptere-de-recherche-et-sauvetage-21_zps97gnazyl.jpg

This is the first time I am trying a conversion so any advice would be welcome. I found Belcher Bits conversion for the excellent Airfix 1/48th scale Merlin and the Eduard photoetch set.

IMG_5243_zpsjewouhpw.jpg

IMG_5244_zpslcoqulbs.jpg

I thought since I have never done a conversion instead of following the steps in the directions I would get the major surgery out of the way so I know if I am going to ruin the kit.

IMG_5246_zps9fsulvg4.jpg

IMG_5247_zpsk024dscu.jpg

No going back now.

The inside parts with their new windows:

IMG_5256_zpsjtj0vtsj.jpg

IMG_5255_zpsii4qruie.jpg

Not perfect but an Ok start. When I measured the Port wall at the mark I was supposed to cut it according to the conversion directions it was in the middle of one of the pouches along the roof so I moved it a little more then used the extra on the end. Not exactly what was in the directions but it doesn't look terrible.

Chris

I have built this. So far you have all ready finished the hardest parts. Be advised once putting the beast together you will find the sucker does not fit well. Take your time.

My biggest mistake was forgetting to cut out one window. I did it later but dang it was a lot of work.

CH149 Cormorant

Thanks Phantom. I think I have all the windows. Were you able to find any reference pictures of the cockpit bulkhead? I am a little confused as to what it looks like.

In this excellent book I found two pages with slightly different Bulkheads: IMG_5252_zpsnl3slysy.jpgIMG_5251_zpsihslblxq.jpgSCAN0001_zpsih1t7kz5.jpg They appear to have different light housing and the boxes above them are different as well. I have to admit I was disappointed that there was only 2 pictures of the CH-149 in the book. I have found lots of pictures online of the outside of the chopper and a few of the cargo area. I also found pictures of the instrument panel but not the Cockpit bulkhead.

You commented in your thread: " However I do not see me doing another one as all 15 of the CH-149s look exactly the same, apart from the serial numbers." I found one that looks slightly different from all the others. 407 doesn't have the forward SAR window I see in all the others. I can't see me doing another for the one window difference either. :rolleyes:/>/>

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada---Air/EHI-CH-149-Cormorant/2156160/L/&sid=0a2da1fab1ce0757d397821292518223

Chris

Edited by Dadeo911

Don't post pics from Airliners.net or other copyrighted material. FYI

Tony

Ok good to know. I thought since the photographers name was on it he is still getting credit. But I will abide by this. Changed to a link.

Chris

Edited by Dadeo911

Just looked at that picture of 907....looks like the bubble window has been removed....which makes sense as it looks like it's being maintained.

Great work so far....I'm following as well.

Thanks Emvar.

As I noted above, I noticed comparing the pictures that even though the pictures above are different the supplied cockpit bulkhead doesn't match either.

Cockpit%20Bulkhead_zpsz8asrdz8.jpg

Cockpit%20Bulkhead%20Edited_zpsdogs8ulo.jpg

The yellow line indicates a difference in the depth of the bulkhead on the Starboard side that is absent from the Port side. The objects circled in Blue are some sort of cabin light which Airfix seemed to have mixed what they look like. The bump circled in Green is absent from the photos. The wire with the red outline doesn't exist.

I decided to tackle this issue add the headphone cables and add handholds and map lights to the framework in the cockpit:

IMG_5272_zps8umvkvl6.jpg

IMG_5275_zpsmair2wee.jpg

I will have to try putting some paint on it so I can see what they look like with the Eduard Interior set pieces on them.

Chris,

Definitely saves you from building another kit. Excellent work so far. I have a disc with cormorant interior pics..... I'll have a look. PM me your email Addy.

Cheers

Emil

I saw a very long low-boy semi trailer rig headed south on I-81 through Washington County, Virginia the other day. It had a VERY large helicopter (completely tarped) loaded. It had to have been something in the class of the S-92. It definitely wasn't an H-60 of any description.

I saw a very long low-boy semi trailer rig headed south on I-81 through Washington County, Virginia the other day. It had a VERY large helicopter (completely tarped) loaded. It had to have been something in the class of the S-92. It definitely wasn't an H-60 of any description.

makes you want to follow it doesn't it. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys,

So this is not totally forgotten. I have been making some slow progress. Had a major disaster when I tried to do an enamel wash on one of the interior walls. For some reason it started eating the acrylic paints even through a coat of Future. To make things even better when I tried to finish removing the paint the plastic reacted to the airbrush thinner I used and started to melt! :bandhead2:

Washed it off as soon as I realized what was happening and then finished cleaning it with rubbing alcohol. I had to sand the area smooth and rescribe it.

Did a nice wash with Flory Models clay based wash on the top of the nose gear well then realized the whole nose gear well is yellow not grey like all the other Merlins I have references for. :crying2: So clean that all off and start again.

IMG_5292_zpsvhznsgcn.jpg

Fresh from the paint booth:

IMG_5293_zpstc2socrd.jpg

IMG_5296_zpskwpahrez.jpg

The Flory Models wash does an awesome job of highlighting recessed rivets and panel lines. the top panel has the wash and the bottom doesn't:

IMG_5280_zpsuegzkc8u.jpg

The cockpit almost completed. And you can see the rivets and panel lines in the wall between the cockpit and the cargo area.

IMG_5294_zpscl9ela8p.jpg

I hope to add more pictures soon.

Thanks for looking,

Chris

I feel I have accomplished something. :banana:/>

IMG_5278_zpsgqtxvgz6.jpg

Unfortunately that's about it for a little while. I am going to be out of town on business until Sunday night so I won't get anything done until then.

Have a great week,

Chris

Are the panels painted or PE? That is one awesome job if hand painter! :jaw-dropping:

Sorry to hear of your modeling woes, Chris. I am also not immune to the random disaster so I sympathize with your plight. You clearly overcame though as your build is looking very nice. Great job so far!

Ray

Thanks Ray. Way slower then I had planned but still creeping along.

Chris

I found out much to my displeasure while dry fitting that the Port interior wall is now about 1 mm too long.

IMG_5295_zpsit7gwccl.jpg

The instrument panel with the Eduard set added:

IMG_5287_zpsxhz4rmzh.jpg

Here is a shot of the assembled SAR seats and the Flight engineer seat from the Belcher's Bits set.

IMG_5289_zpsvdgs3zcj.jpg

About the only deviation I made from the instructions was to add an I beam on the base of the SAR seats instead of the square beam suggested for support. The square beam is accurate but I like the visual interest of the I beam. I just hope I can do them justice when I paint them.

Chris