Question.. how does AMK (or any other company) go about doing the research on which decals/boxart to include with their new kits?

I know that if you do a Google Image search for "F-14 Tomcat", you get a whole ton of VF-84/103 Jolly Rogers pics (yeehaw the best squadron of course!)

Question.. how does AMK (or any other company) go about doing the research on which decals/boxart to include with their new kits?

I know that if you do a Google Image search for "F-14 Tomcat", you get a whole ton of VF-84/103 Jolly Rogers pics (yeehaw the best squadron of course!)

If they are the best squadron why didn't they get any kills? 😜

Yes sir. F-14A, B and D already started and under way.

* I would rather have the open access panels, but some folks don't. So be it! Still that's a selling point for some folks.

* I prefer to build historically significant airframes and armor (ships too). This is why an early F14a is a must for me, and the others are not in that same sphere. In 1/48th, I can see a fellow modeler wanting to do a diorama in one fashion or another. So please do us all a couple favors even if it adds a little to the purchase price. I think you would seriously move up the ladder with a full set of stencils includes with the decal sheet. Airframe markings really becomes one's personal choice. I have three or four birds picked out, but a Wolfpack bird is to be in front (1975 cruise).

* and yes do think seriously about a 1/72 Tomcat to finally replace the old Fujimi and the newer Hobby Boss.

* when you finally complete the above task, please give us a good F100d. I'm good for four kits!

gary

* I would rather have the open access panels, but some folks don't. So be it! Still that's a selling point for some folks.

Perhaps AMK could do like FMK did on the F-20 or TanModel on the RF-84: panels shut on fuselage halves but easy to cut out.

We just do what we like and what shouldn't cause any issues with copyrighting etc.

I have put my personal requests in.

My suggestion would be to go onto the FaceBook site and write on the timeline with your requests. Thats what FaceBook is for after all.

Its for the community....

See you there.

https://www.facebook.com/avantgardemodelkits?fref=ts

Feel free to share. In fact, it may be cool to do a competition.......

Edited by Martin @ AMK Models

I like this..... now don't go mad, I'm not saying this is a possible scheme! I'm just saying I like this one...

159591225ADF-14AVF-101.jpg

Great choice! Personally love the look of a dirty tomcat; so much character and artistic opportunities. As a side note, I wonder what fraction of modellers open up avionics bays etc? Dont want to speak for others who like that sort of thing, but I personally prefer to keep them shut, it helps preserve the sexy curves of the jet IMO. Having said that, panels for bays which fit well really arent much of a problem, again IMO.

Oh c'mon...you know you pretty much have to put Jolly Roger markings in it...because we don't have enough of those :D

I agree with dryguy on the panels thing. I don't like open panels simply for the sake of open panels, but it really doesn't bother me if they inserts are sized to actually fit right...something I know that can be done, yet usually seems to be an afterthought.

Whatever markings you choose to include in the box is irrelevant to me. I have more aftermarket F-14 sheets than I'll ever build in my life. Of course, it would be nice if it's something I haven't yet seen anyone do.

Either way, I can't wait for this project to come to fruition. Thanks for doing a new Tomcat!

Rob

I agree with dryguy on the panels thing. I don't like open panels simply for the sake of open panels, but it really doesn't bother me if they inserts are sized to actually fit right...something I know that can be done, yet usually seems to be an afterthought.

Yes I agree. I would say that on the MiG-31 the insert parts are click-fit exact so we know we have now mastered the art of well fitting panels (see below lighter grey area of fuselage). It isn't down to me whether panels are open or closed but I prefer them closed with the option of opening. For two reasons. First, it keeps the cost down and less time to manufacture so bringing to market is quicker. Secondly, I am less tempted to open them hehehe.

11947397_512192105612288_5527518936364949226_n.jpg?oh=8b68295ca3232515367ccca71e2afd8c&oe=56849EC8

One piece nose slide moulding technology.

12033011_522471054584393_379105965808032362_n.jpg?oh=d7d6dd3d53bb6246663f8d7a41a285e9&oe=56CF6B8C

I will add to the closed panel preferred kits list. There are a few kits I have stayed away from just for that reason. Closing them always leaves extra work and sometimes not the best results for me. I will really keep my eye on this one.

- Am I the only one around who would like to see a proper Canadair Sabre with slats in 1/48?

yes, most people will probably argue about decals and boxart.. but VF-101 might be one that everyone agrees on!

i vote for vf-101! (but my guilty side also likes the Jolly Rogers!) :woot.gif:

should ask all the asian kids what they prefer hehe since the biggest market for model kits is in asia

yes, most people will probably argue about decals and boxart.. but VF-101 might be one that everyone agrees on!

i vote for vf-101! (but my guilty side also likes the Jolly Rogers!) :woot.gif:/>

should ask all the asian kids what they prefer hehe since the biggest market for model kits is in asia

well as long as they don't do this...

o.jpg

Hi everyone! Sorry if I will be ruining the high level of energy already generated here about this tomcat; but could you gentlemen please give me a quick but comprehensive layman terms' rundown of the things which can be found on AMK that are absent or negative on the Hasegawa's, aside from the ease of building which to my knowledge is the main reason why many dislike Hasegawa's tomcats. Thanks in advance!

Edited by flybywire

Hi everyone! Sorry if I will be ruining the high level of energy already generated here about this tomcat; but could you gentlemen please give me a quick but comprehensive layman terms' rundown of the things which can be found on AMK that are absent or negative on the Hasegawa's, aside from the ease of building which to my knowledge is the main reason why many dislike Hasegawa's tomcats. Thanks in advance!

Erm. As far as we know, the molds have not even been cut yet. It is a bit tough to compare something which does not exist.

Mark

Erm. As far as we know, the molds have not even been cut yet. It is a bit tough to compare something which does not exist.

Mark

Well, it's pretty much safe to say AMK's will include the weapons which stingy Hasegawa doesn't want to provide in their kits.

...I hope?

No Weapons

Ugly Phoenix racks under the fuselage

Soft details in the cockpit

No Ptid

Oversize bol launchers

Soft details in the wheel bay´s

Long main Landing gear.

And a few little details more.

Well, it's pretty much safe to say AMK's will include the weapons which stingy Hasegawa doesn't want to provide in their kits.

...I hope?

Going by their track record, AMK is likely to produce and include weapons that will, well, blow us away.

But what the poster was asking for is a comparison between the 2 kits and to highlight areas in which the Hasegawa kit is deficient aside from its fitting issues. Without an actual kit in hand or CAD drawings at the very least, it is impossible to make any sort of comparison.

Why don't we all wait patiently wait for the CAD drawings to be revealed and then engage in the time-honoured ARC tradition of bashing it to bits discussions regarding the kit's merits and demerits?

Mark