I am not a big Tomcat fan (*SHOCK...HORROR* :P) but I am in/will be in the market for a 1/48 F-14. I will wait and see what the AMK kit is like before deciding between it and the Tamiya kit. Wait within reason of course. Based on what I read here the AMK kit will more then likely be in tune with what I want. However, having written that, with Tamiya's kit being announced, build up shots posted, sprue shots posted, and a release date estimated early this fall or easily within the year IMHO they may scoop the sales from folks in a similar situation to my own who really only want one or two Tomcat kits. I know folks keep posting patience and I get it, I really do. However, and again IMHO, AMK has to feed modelers something fairly soon (for their own sake not ours) or they may lose significant sales from the modelers who aren't diehard Tomcat fans. I know I know, uber-F-14 fans will likely buy multiple copies of both kits and both Tamiya and AMK will do very well selling to the Tomcat crowd. But the casual F-14 fans itching to buy will more then likely buy one of whatever is available or actually seeing what will be available fairly soon. Reading is good, hype is great, speculation is intriguing, but eventually people are going to need to see something.

I know this is probably sounding like I am knocking AMK but I am not. Their Mig doesn't interest me but it looks amazing! As I already posted earlier based on what I read their 'Cat' seems like it will suit my needs more then the Tamiya kit. But...speaking as a non-off the charts Tomcat fan we (I) are going to need more then words to maintain our (my) interest and patience what with a solid competitor having already provided us (me) with build up photos, sprue shots, and a release date timeline.

Again, not bashing AMK...just my two cents.

:cheers:

I am not a big Tomcat fan (*SHOCK...HORROR* :P/>) but I am in/will be in the market for a 1/48 F-14. I will wait and see what the AMK kit is like before deciding between it and the Tamiya kit. Wait within reason of course. Based on what I read here the AMK kit will more then likely be in tune with what I want. However, having written that, with Tamiya's kit being announced, build up shots posted, sprue shots posted, and a release date estimated early this fall or easily within the year IMHO they may scoop the sales from folks in a similar situation to my own who really only want one or two Tomcat kits. I know folks keep posting patience and I get it, I really do. However, and again IMHO, AMK has to feed modelers something fairly soon (for their own sake not ours) or they may lose significant sales from the modelers who aren't diehard Tomcat fans. I know I know, uber-F-14 fans will likely buy multiple copies of both kits and both Tamiya and AMK will do very well selling to the Tomcat crowd. But the casual F-14 fans itching to buy will more then likely buy one of whatever is available or actually seeing what will be available fairly soon. Reading is good, hype is great, speculation is intriguing, but eventually people are going to need to see something.

I know this is probably sounding like I am knocking AMK but I am not. Their Mig doesn't interest me but it looks amazing! As I already posted earlier based on what I read their 'Cat' seems like it will suit my needs more then the Tamiya kit. But...speaking as a non-off the charts Tomcat fan we (I) are going to need more then words to maintain our (my) interest and patience what with a solid competitor having already provided us (me) with build up photos, sprue shots, and a release date timeline.

Again, not bashing AMK...just my two cents.

:cheers:/>

I tend to agree with you on this. I know they are working on it, but it would be really nice to see some progress, maybe even CAD drawings. There may be a point of diminishing returns. They need to be careful to not take so much time trying to reach perfection that they lose out on sales. This was part of the problem with Accurate Miniatures. They kept tweeking tweeking the design, but it never came out. People lost interest, and by the time it did reach production, they didn't get the return back on their investment. At some point you simply have to say that it's good enough. There will always be people who will critique it (for better or worse), no matter how much time you put in. I'm still not sure that Tamiya got the leading edge of the intake correct, but that won't stop me from buying plenty of them. Heck, I still build the Monogram kits!

I tend to agree with you on this. I know they are working on it, but it would be really nice to see some progress, maybe even CAD drawings. There may be a point of diminishing returns. They need to be careful to not take so much time trying to reach perfection that they lose out on sales. This was part of the problem with Accurate Miniatures. They kept tweeking tweeking the design, but it never came out. People lost interest, and by the time it did reach production, they didn't get the return back on their investment. At some point you simply have to say that it's good enough. There will always be people who will critique it (for better or worse), no matter how much time you put in. I'm still not sure that Tamiya got the leading edge of the intake correct, but that won't stop me from buying plenty of them. Heck, I still build the Monogram kits!

Absolutely Darren. I was a HUGE Accurate Miniatures fan. Without a doubt some of the finest kits ever to make it onto store shelves. But as you posted, they got infected with paralysis from analysis. AMK has a great reputation from their Mig kit, which is loved by pretty much all who have bought it. Heck as I posted earlier, their Mig kit doesn't interest me but it truly looks amazing and a real thing of beauty. I am sure if they eventually do release an F-14 it too will be amazing. If it's not on their priority list right now that's fine. Really it is. But just be forthcoming about it is all. This thread is proof positive that many folks want from AMK F-14 wise what their reading. But feed us something... anything...as to regards a timeframe. One year to CAD? Two? Again, not bashing AMK just curious as to what the status is. Go or no go? If its a go what is a roundabout timeframe...ball park it. If its a no go for the foreseeable future that's fine too. Seriously. It just means I will probably go Tamiya. Its all good :thumbsup:

Any indication on when we could expect some sprue teasers?

Sprue shots would indeed be awesome! But honestly at this stage I'd be happy if AMK provided us with Crayon drawings, doodles on a napkin, artists renderings, CAD shots would be outstanding...something...

I like at least one paint scheme of every squadron that ever flew the D. I might finally put those Fightertown Black Lions Last Cruise decals to use and build Blacklion 204, or maybe I'll reach even deeper and use my VF Decals VF-31 Tomcatters sheet. So many good choices!

Well now this is exciting! I have always preferred the B's and D's over the A models. Looking forward to some concrete images.