Hey Gary,

Why will you go aftermarket for decals? You don’t know yet who we are working with :)/>

Surprises to come.

if I do an F14d, it will be a Bounty Hunters plane from the 2003 cruise, or the Red Rippers Christmas cruise. I might add that the F14a's will be Wolf Pack and a VF11 bird.

gary

Martin, I wouldn't be insulted. Aftermarket decals just means people have more options, so they have more excuses to buy, build, and enjoy your product. I'll probably go aftermarket if the kit decal sheet is loaded with all CAG and color birds. I never was a fan of garish colors on F-14s. I like the jets that work for a living.

As silly as it seems, I like the one Trumpeter showed in their box art for their F14d in 1/32 scale. Just liked they way it looks, plus it's not that grey scale crap. Still no Tomcat looks as good as a Wolf Pack F14a. As for decal selection, I'm a well known odd ball. Rarely go main stream.

gary

That would be the CAG bird for VF-2 "Bounty Hunters" from their last cruise onboard USS Constellation.

The trouble with F-14D options is so few squadrons flew them (Only 7, and of those only 4 were combat squadrons that were 100% F-14D's) so the schemes are a bit limited.

The trouble with F-14D options is so few squadrons flew them (Only 7, and of those only 4 were combat squadrons that were 100% F-14D's) so the schemes are a bit limited.

Yeah I like the 'D' and it has some cool markings but me thinks the 'A' will be more popular with the average modeler. Far more choices and options for colors and markings.

:cheers:

That would be the CAG bird for VF-2 "Bounty Hunters" from their last cruise onboard USS Constellation.

You are most correct! They really didn't build all that many F14d's, and even then many were rebuilt F14a's. (been doing some homework) There seems to be five distinct eras of F14a's (counting the YF14a), and at least twice the color schemes. Bad thing about this is that I've found an F14b that I just gotta build! I said that I had zero interest in an F14b, and now have a change of heart (VF11 Red Rippers 1996). When you guys get done, I'll be running a half step ahead of the poor house (was a step and a half).

I certainly back the idea of doing the Tomcat in 1/72 scale! Plus I'd still recommend kitting the ammo stores and hard points with the ejectors. The Tamigawa guys will be lined up to buy them!

gary

Yeah I like the 'D' and it has some cool markings but me thinks the 'A' will be more popular with the average modeler. Far more choices and options for colors and markings.

:cheers:/>

You guys are probably tired of reading this, but the sight of a Wolf Pack F14a blowing the windows out of Saigon is what Tomcats are all about!

gary

You guys are probably tired of reading this, but the sight of a Wolf Pack F14a blowing the windows out of Saigon is what Tomcats are all about!

gary

No arguments here. Personally I've always liked Vf-114 Aardvark's and Vf-154 Black Knights. So many choices for the 'A' model Tomcat.

:cheers:

No arguments here. Personally I've always liked Vf-114 Aardvark's and Vf-154 Black Knights. So many choices for the 'A' model Tomcat.

:cheers:/>

In the Squadron book (I have five or six Tomcat books)I was just looking thru the photos, and one thing I picked up on was how the markings changed from cruise to cruise. Looks like they all do a little bit. Never been a real fan of the Jolly Rodgers till I saw a simplified version. Really like the Sundowners F14a (with the shark mouth of course).

gary

I'd say there are six distinct periods of F-14 paint schemes. As follows:

Introductory period. (1972-1978)

Gull grey over white. Full color national markings and squadron markings. Some squadrons (like VF-84) continued to use these a few years after the period had passed.

Beginning of the End (1979-1984)

I refer to this period not as a beginning of the end of the F-14, but as a beginning of the end of Navy aircraft commonly having bright and colorful markings. During this time, jets were overall gull grey. Stenciling and squadron markings were still full color, though subdued (look at VF-41 in 1977 vs. VF-41 in 1981). National markings were probably still full size and full color, but some squadrons adopted smaller or solid-tone roundels.

Early Low-viz (1985-1990)

This is when the 3-tone TPS begins to appear, though its pattern has not been standardized (see VF-103 or VF-84 for some bizarre interpretations). All markings are subdued. Even the CAG and CO jets have very few colors. Many squadron markings look like grey-scale versions of their full-color days.

The Doldrums (1990-1995)

The TPS is in full effect. Pattern mostly standardized but may exceptions can be seen. Squadron marking standardization goes quite literally to crap during this time. Some squadrons such as VF-11 are fairly uniform. Others like VF-24 or VF-84 almost no two airplanes look exactly alike. Other squadrons strike somewhere in the middle, having a uniform appearance but with one or two inexplicably odd variations. Finally, some squadrons look like they just stopped caring altogether. Squadrons are allowed one color jet per unit. Tactical low viz is still too new to look classy yet.

The Cat is Back (1996-1999)

Navy units have begun to figure out ways to make TPS look good. Squadron markings are consistent between aircraft with few outliers. 2 color birds per squadron and these are rarely throw-backs to the full color days but instead elegant planes whose colors compliment instead of conflict with the TPS.

The End (2000-2006)

This period might be looked at as an extension of the previous. Squadron markings are consistent and uniform with no oddball planes. 2 color jets per squadron and they remain mostly elegant and not garish. Many squadrons wear markings that celebrate the past without conflicting with the current. VF-2, VF-103, and VF-143 are prime examples of markings that remind the viewer of the paint schemes of yesteryear without causing pain to the eyes. This is how the Tomcat will see its last days.

This list is very generalized as to what will be seen during these periods. Period years are at best estimates and there is a lot of spillover. There is no precision and exceptions are so common that they are almost the rule.

Don't forget the very first TPS scheme. It was Dark Ghost Gray on top, Light Ghost Gray on the sides, and Light Gray on the undersides, very similar to the original Hornet scheme. Also, there was a transitional period where the white on top was painted Gull Gray, but the undersides were left white. The Tomcats in the Final Countdown had that scheme.

Yeah, like I said, I did generalize a good bit. That first TPS falls into the early low-viz before they standardized the pattern. The mid 80's and to 90's were an ugly period for Tomcats, like they were groping around trying to figure out how to look cool with all the restrictions and regulations. They finally figured it out shortly after they started strapping bombs on.

I remember seeing VF-143 aboard the John C. Stennis and man, some of their jets were just weird to look at. The CAG bird almost looked sunbleached, and the griffin on the tail was accompanied with three stripes that looked more like VF-32's tails. AG122's tail art had the griffen bracketed by three pinstripes top and bottom, and the tail was faded almost invisible. Weird, weird paint schemes and even some odd modexes I'd love to have explained some day. They had some numbers in the 120s.

Edited by Swordsman422

Yeah, like I said, I did generalize a good bit. That first TPS falls into the early low-viz before they standardized the pattern. The mid 80's and to 90's were an ugly period for Tomcats, like they were groping around trying to figure out how to look cool with all the restrictions and regulations. They finally figured it out shortly after they started strapping bombs on.

I remember seeing VF-143 aboard the John C. Stennis and man, some of their jets were just weird to look at. The CAG bird almost looked sunbleached, and the griffin on the tail was accompanied with three stripes that looked more like VF-32's tails. AG122's tail art had the griffen bracketed by three pinstripes top and bottom, and the tail was faded almost invisible. Weird, weird paint schemes and even some odd modexes I'd love to have explained some day. They had some numbers in the 120s.

I would have loved to see those -143 schemes! They had the weird early TPS as well. What is it with -143? :D

Darren, there was an old website, Tomcat Alley, sadly stopped being updated in about 2003 or so. I think he had some shots of the tails of those VF-143 weirdos. I'll have to see if I can still find it. I haven't been to that site in years. I was 17 or 18 at the time and very fortunate to get a chance to see CVN-74. No camera with me, so I could not take pictures.

Edit: Found it. These are the pages dedicated to VF-143's F-14Bs. The weird tails can be seen on the 2nd page, last three pictures of 2nd row. Apparently at one time, they also had a jet #123 that looked like a black-and-white image of their inaugural scheme.

http://www.topedge.com/alley/images/f14b/vf143bim.htm

http://www.topedge.com/alley/images/f14b/vf143bi1.htm

Edited by Swordsman422

I believe AMK needs to start making the release of its Tomcat more real. If it takes too long Tamiya will start inundating the market with its own kit and it would be more difficult for AMK to recover what they invested.

The Mig-31, being a new subject, was a success, I am not sure about the F-14.

I HOPE I AM WRONG.

Juan

I believe AMK needs to start making the release of its Tomcat more real. If it takes too long Tamiya will start inundating the market with its own kit and it would be more difficult for AMK to recover what they invested.

The Mig-31, being a new subject, was a success, I am not sure about the F-14.

I HOPE I AM WRONG.

Juan

I don't think that the AMK and Tamiya kits compete all that closely.

There's two reasons for this.

1. The Tamiya kit only represents a pre-Block 125 A model in early service. It's fundamentally a 70's Tomcat. The AMK likely will represent a more common configuration.

2. The Tamiya kit is optimized for someone wanting to do a clean model. The AMK is optimized for someone wanting to do everything hanging out. Different core markets and the F-14 is popular enough that there's market space for both.

I don't think that the AMK and Tamiya kits compete all that closely.

There's two reasons for this.

1. The Tamiya kit only represents a pre-Block 125 A model in early service. It's fundamentally a 70's Tomcat. The AMK likely will represent a more common configuration.

2. The Tamiya kit is optimized for someone wanting to do a clean model. The AMK is optimized for someone wanting to do everything hanging out. Different core markets and the F-14 is popular enough that there's market space for both.

I tend to agree with you. The F-14 is like the Me-109 and P-51. If it's not in your lineup, it's not making you any money. The Tomcat is a subject that can have multiple manufacturers and each one will make money, as long as it's a good kit. For the Tamiya kit, Steel Beach will be releasing some Block 125 bits that will open up the markings options. I'm also going to do an early gun vent, which will allow even more options.