So the new tool 1/48 Tamiya F-14A is a "toy" now...? And $87USD delivered on pre-order is overpriced in todays age in modeling...?

O.k...to each their own.

Their Spitfire IX a toy too? I don't mind those kind of toys.

Because you may like a particular manufacturer, I see no reason for unfounded bashing of another. Are we not talking of the AMK product in this thread?

So the new tool 1/48 Tamiya F-14A is a "toy" now...? And $87USD delivered on pre-order is overpriced in todays age in modeling...?

O.k...to each their own.

I don't think he was specifically referring to the Tamiya F-14. I took it to mean models in general are overpriced toys, which essentially they are, although overpriced is up to the buyer. I think what he's saying is that Tamiya has the capital to pump out whatever they want, but other companies need to be supported so they can continue to release new subjects in the future.

Thanks Darren, you got it, exept that i was referring to Big T`s F-14.

I should not have phrased "toy" in a negative way, as i have bought, buildt and played with their quality products for almoust 50 years, included some pauses. But i think it`s too expensive for its simplicity, but i am probably going to get it myself.

Bjørn

I can tell you that no-one outside the company knows how far ahead we are and what our plans are.

Well either you are sandbagging and have suddenly decided to downplay your social media advertising (possible; maybe you're waiting to draw interest from the Tamiya kit's release), or you expect to go from (partially?) completed CAD to delivered kits in less than five months. I realize that AMK is basically a tooling shop that decided to go into the model biz, which helps streamline development, but that seems like a pretty optimistic timeline. And while I would be happy to be proven wrong, my experience suggests that 'optimistic timelines' are rarely met.

Compared to the MiG-31, for instance, it would mean delivering an even more complicated kit, while (apparently) developing a second major release at the same time (assuming the L-39 is going to make its release date), in about 80% of the time. Looking at the calendar, there's a lot of work to be done, and time is running out. It's possible that it will happen, but I suspect it's more probable that it won't.

In actual fact, I have been very unwell.

It’s ok, I expect the release to be in Q4 2016 as I intimated before. However, if we need to extend to make sure we get the best possible product out to you then that is what AMK will do. No apologies for wanting the best product, but as I have said, I expect this Q4 2016.

Edited by Martin @ AMK Models

Mofo didn't give any release date, the release date was supposedly given on your Facebook page. He just said that based on your past performance you would probably be late by 1/4 to 1/2 a year and I notice you didn't deny that or confirm the original date so it is quite odd that you are making fun of him.....

READING COMPREHENSION??? I went an reread MoFo's post, and I saw three different dates from him. Last quarter of 2016, first quarter of 2017, and the second quarter of 2017. Yet the emphases was pointed directly towards 2017.

As I read it (his post), I thought about all the other negative posts he's made. Just laughed it off as another "fan Boy!"

gary

Well either you are sandbagging and have suddenly decided to downplay your social media advertising (possible; maybe you're waiting to draw interest from the Tamiya kit's release), or you expect to go from (partially?) completed CAD to delivered kits in less than five months. I realize that AMK is basically a tooling shop that decided to go into the model biz, which helps streamline development, but that seems like a pretty optimistic timeline. And while I would be happy to be proven wrong, my experience suggests that 'optimistic timelines' are rarely met.

Compared to the MiG-31, for instance, it would mean delivering an even more complicated kit, while (apparently) developing a second major release at the same time (assuming the L-39 is going to make its release date), in about 80% of the time. Looking at the calendar, there's a lot of work to be done, and time is running out. It's possible that it will happen, but I suspect it's more probable that it won't.

fan boy!

glt

Don,

Sorry to take the last ray of sunshine from, but the kit retails for $115!

gary

Hey Gary,

MSRP of $115. The true retail street price will be much less. Pre-Order price of $67.98 at Luckymodel and HKD 526.00 ($68 US) at HobbyEasy. You may want to give back some of that sunshine you just took away.

Cheers,

John

Don,

Sorry to take the last ray of sunshine from, but the kit retails for $115!

gary

Gary you may want to verify what the Tamiya kit is actually selling for right now prior to posting ;) .

Martin, I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I hope you feel better soon.

As far as the Negative Nellie's here (here being the internet in general), they simply love to pull chains and prove their (false) self-appointed moral superiority. Some people just exist to thrive on controversy and will never allow mere facts to get in the way of their "reality." AMK is doing great in my book. You guys take your time, get the 'Cat right and the buyers will flock. Other manufacturers may release similar subjects, but as I've said time and again, I believe there is plenty of room at the feeding trough. If your kit is anywhere near as nice as the MiG's, you will not lack for sales. All the best,

Rick

Thanks Darren, you got it, exept that i was referring to Big T`s F-14.

I should not have phrased "toy" in a negative way, as i have bought, buildt and played with their quality products for almoust 50 years, included some pauses. But i think it`s too expensive for its simplicity, but i am probably going to get it myself.

Bjørn

:unsure:...o.k...so enjoy...?

Negative Nellies trying to prove moral superiority? Lol...

How about a trying to highlight to a company we really like that they are about to make a very very big mistake tooling the most critical part on the kit in the most difficult way imaginable when a simple single piece would do perfectly well?

Still if AMK has engineering that will ensure,

A) the sprue gates on the clear parts are guaranteed to clean up perfectly with no chance of cracking or damage ie flexing hurting the main glass component.

B)the main canopy frame will not suffer from any warpage

C)the fit of two different plastics is guaranteed to under 1/10th of a mm meaning no clean up.

D)supply glue or recommend one that can give a solid bond with no residue nor damage underlying paint work when glued on post painting as that is the "only" benefit to the modeller of a multi part canopy.

After the nice Mig-31 the last thing I want to see is AMK reinvent the wheel is a hexagonal form in three parts when one would be fine.

Tamiya, Hasegawa, Hobbyboss can all manage to get a correctly cross sectioned canopy in one piece so if it's a molding limitation I doubt it.

If AMK think they are doing us a favor I think they are wrong. It simply makes for a difficult build, possible engineering disaster and a single slip ruins your kit.

We see people talking about gluing sidewinder fins on as a problem well that's cool just try gluing the centrepiece of your build made from dissimilar materials onto pre painted and weathered canopy frame without damage to the parts or paintwork.

Edited by dehowie

Really hope you'll doing well Martin.

i've read most of the posts in most of the threads (in the jet modeling sub-forum, at least) in the last decade

and one thing is sure, i wouldn't call member MoFo in other words than being of the greatest contributors here.

very few members here have his insight. even fewer of us have his knowledge...of the plastic model industry/AM business/CAD (how many of us have posted renders of their own work?)

so, based on his knowledge, he made his statement. i have no horse in the race, i'd love to see AMK being able to meet their (deadline) words... but wouldn't mind getting the kit later...(won't make me like more or less AMK)

that being said, if the canopy is multi part thing, for the sake of "improvement/progress" ...is the same thing will apply to the front windshield part??? a 3 clear parts and a frame? (i don't see the masking of windshield being less a PITA than the masking if the canopy, if that was done in that purpose...)

if AMK can go for 2 wings sets, i can't see why they wouldn't include 2 types of canopies...(even if i don't share the fear of the multi part clear/frame assembly as white glue/crystal clear will care without any mess nor much fuss...)

Edited by mingwin

price as quoted by the Tamiya guy on the Tamiya F14 thread

gary

And I am sure he and Tamiya will gladly accept you willingly paying the MSRP price ;) . But as that same thread illustrates and based on what I paid it's currently for sale (...right now...) for far far less and certainly not out of the range of most modern day kits of equivalent size (including the AMK Mig).

Keep the sunshine though... it's been rather hot here lately.

READING COMPREHENSION??? I went an reread MoFo's post, and I saw three different dates from him. Last quarter of 2016, first quarter of 2017, and the second quarter of 2017. Yet the emphases was pointed directly towards 2017.

As I read it (his post), I thought about all the other negative posts he's made. Just laughed it off as another "fan Boy!"

gary

I know how to read but apparently you can't even after two attempts. The 2016 date was not from Mofo but in a quote from another who was apparently quoting AMK's Facebook page. Now Martin has posted to say he is standing by the 2016 date (but leaves himself "wiggle room") so we will see. I'm not building anything in 1/48 so I really don't care but I do read what is actually written....

P.S. I realize I should have left this alone but we don't need people shouting nonsense here....

Edited by RCAFFAN

Mofo didn't give any release date, the release date was supposedly given on your Facebook page. He just said that based on your past performance you would probably be late by 1/4 to 1/2 a year and I notice you didn't deny that or confirm the original date so it is quite odd that you are making fun of him.....

Not to mention your (AMK's) stated 2016 release schedule was

• F-14A, B and D Tomcat
  • Aero L-39
  • Fiat G-91
  • Dassault Super Etendard
  • MiG-25 Foxbat

But now it's nearly August and we've only seen the L-39 and another variant of the Mig 31, which I don't consider a "new kit, but a revision of the existing one ......... (and the SuE cancelled)

And after your Social media Marketing campaign, which for the Mig 31 ran for quite a few months before the kit was released, with CAD, then Sprue shots, then kits to selected reviewers, then release in dec 15. But for the F-14 we've we've only just seen CAD of some of it,

So I think Mofo is probably accurate in his timeframes. That said, it doesn't matter to me, I'm looking forward to your F-14, be it Q4 2016 or Q4 2017, I've got plenty to build anyway.

PS I hope you're on the mend Martin.

Not to mention your (AMK's) stated 2016 release schedule was

• F-14A, B and D Tomcat
  • Aero L-39
  • Fiat G-91
  • Dassault Super Etendard
  • MiG-25 Foxbat

But now it's nearly August and we've only seen the L-39 and another variant of the Mig 31, which I don't consider a "new kit, but a revision of the existing one ......... (and the SuE cancelled)

And after your Social media Marketing campaign, which for the Mig 31 ran for quite a few months before the kit was released, with CAD, then Sprue shots, then kits to selected reviewers, then release in dec 15. But for the F-14 we've we've only just seen CAD of some of it,

So I think Mofo is probably accurate in his timeframes. That said, it doesn't matter to me, I'm looking forward to your F-14, be it Q4 2016 or Q4 2017, I've got plenty to build anyway.

PS I hope you're on the mend Martin.

FANBOY at work

glt

All this whining an crying about the canopy frame and the glass! I kinda laughed about it as it's nothing new under the sun. Meng did it awhile back, and all of you cried! Yet 98% that built the kit did OK. Myself, I figure that if Lindberg could do it (JU88), then AMK could knock it out of the park.

I got bigger fish to fry

gary

Edited by ChesshireCat

I can't believe I'm about to pull out the ole "use modeling skills" thing...but....

I personally like the canopy design and see no problem with it. I can detail the...umm rather detailed...frame piece without worry of marring the clear pieces. I can then drop the clear parts in with a nice application of Tamiya Extra Thin and be done with it. I've seen that AMK is thoughtful in their gate design and location, and I'm confident their engineering will ensure the pieces are as high quality as possible.

Here's a radical thought - if you don't like it, or think it's taking too long, perhaps you can go and find something that you do like and is available.

Personally I don't have an issue with the projected canopy design, and I think too much is being read into the colours used on the CAD renders. I suspect that it is shaded differently for illustrative purposes.

As for people criticising the release date, how unfair can you get?

Instead of people marvelling at all the new and impressive models coming out in what I think is a golden age of modelling, we still find a way of focusing on the very minor negatives. You may not agree with what each company releases and the way they do it but at least give them credit for what they do.

*SIGH*

Les

Edited by lesthegringo

FANBOY at work

glt

Okay seriously... I'm confused. Who is the fanboy? For what? And why? Is 'a4s4eva' a fanboy? Because you seem to be trying to use that term as a cudgel, and yet he says right there in his post that he is excited for the kit and doesn't care when is released. Which, I don't know about you, but to me it kind of sounds like he has a positive view of the kit. And yet you seem to be trying to suggest that his opinions aren't valid because he's somehow a 'fanboy' for... something? I mean, I guess you could say the fact that he IS excited for the kit might make him a fanboy, and yet he's taking a measured approach to the whole release date thing, which suggests he has a much more measured and nuanced view of the product. Which is pretty much the antitheses of 'fanboyism'.

Or, are you saying that YOU are a fanboy? That would probably be a more reasonable take: that any criticism of a product you like, whether valid or not, is met with scorn and vitriol. And yet, like I said, you seem to be trying to use it like a cudgel to insult people, which would make it unlikely that you're referring to yourself.

Maybe you simply don't understand what the term 'fanboy' actually means? You sure seem dedicated to the term, though...

Also, I *really* hope that 'glt' was some sort of typo, 'cause if you were trying to use the acronym, that's really not cool.