Jhanna and goondman, that was wonderful...I wish more differences were handled as you guys did, like two grown ups realising they'd wronged and stepped up and apologized to each others :D

Gives me hope for the future.

Cheers guys!

4 hours ago, goondman said:

i only stated my displeaure with AMK's carrot dangling and im told to BACK THE FU#% OFF. hmmm... ok, im done. Tail is tucked as im scampering away from this thread

take no offense as none is intended;

AMK first of all is a small company compared to the Tamigawa bunch. Seem to be hard to come by, and what kits do hit the shelves, are snapped up within hours. Distribution may be AMK's downfall. I've been able to snap up one kit!  Have their upgraded MIG on order since September. It'll get here when it's time I guess! One thing you learn about AMK is that they do their home work very well. Really need no after market.

Now I never planned on buying the Tamiya kit (F14) for several reasons. Most of all the block number is useless to me. I was a very early block F14a, and honestly nothing else will do. Still I've committed to buying one F14d whenever it finally shows up. I'm in no hurry as I want it done right. Maybe A.M. decals at the most. Whining and crying is a waste of energy. It will get here when the time is right, and mot a minute sooner

gary 

58 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

take no offense as none is intended;

AMK first of all is a small company compared to the Tamigawa bunch. Seem to be hard to come by, and what kits do hit the shelves, are snapped up within hours. Distribution may be AMK's downfall. I've been able to snap up one kit!  Have their upgraded MIG on order since September. It'll get here when it's time I guess! One thing you learn about AMK is that they do their home work very well. Really need no after market.

Now I never planned on buying the Tamiya kit (F14) for several reasons. Most of all the block number is useless to me. I was a very early block F14a, and honestly nothing else will do. Still I've committed to buying one F14d whenever it finally shows up. I'm in no hurry as I want it done right. Maybe A.M. decals at the most. Whining and crying is a waste of energy. It will get here when the time is right, and mot a minute sooner

gary 

WORD.

On 30/1/2017 at 11:07 PM, ChesshireCat said:

Now I never planned on buying the Tamiya kit (F14) for several reasons. Most of all the block number is useless to me. I was a very early block F14a, and honestly nothing else will do.

a conversion set?:whistle:

Well if you think the Tamiya F-14 is marginal let me know how bad you think the Mig-31 is with its missed bits and heavy panel lines..

If you think the Tamiya F-14 is that poor heaven help you when you get the AMK kit.

The Mig-31 nice kit that it is is FAR from perfect the Hobbbyboss kit even picking up on some things that where missed by AMK and has far more refined panel lines.

So in short the undying belief the AMK F-14 will somehow be gods gift to modelling is still to be proven and based off the Mig-31(i have three of them) they have some solid ground to catch up on to get close to the engineering, refined detail and utterly incredibly brilliant fit of the Tamiya F-14.

Ill certainly be grabbing a couple but I wont be putting unrealistic expectations on them.

If they get even close you should be happy.

9 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

because I want a good Tomcat. If you start out marginally good; you end up marginally good at best. Although I see that KASL is fixing the wings, but there are some others that need help.

gary

First of all, if the Tamiya Tomcat is marginally good, I would like you to mention a better kit, not just of the Tomcat. If you can find any kit that has better fit, is better engineered and has nicer surface detailling, please name it!

Second, if you are a half decent model builder you can start with a marginally good kit and make a stunner out of it. If you are skilled you might even do something nice out of an old Matchbox, Frog or Airfix. Just look at some of the builds in this forum.

1 hour ago, dehowie said:

Well if you think the Tamiya F-14 is marginal let me know how bad you think the Mig-31 is with its missed bits and heavy panel lines..

If you think the Tamiya F-14 is that poor heaven help you when you get the AMK kit.

The Mig-31 nice kit that it is is FAR from perfect the Hobbbyboss kit even picking up on some things that where missed by AMK and has far more refined panel lines.

So in short the undying belief the AMK F-14 will somehow be gods gift to modelling is still to be proven and based off the Mig-31(i have three of them) they have some solid ground to catch up on to get close to the engineering, refined detail and utterly incredibly brilliant fit of the Tamiya F-14.

Ill certainly be grabbing a couple but I wont be putting unrealistic expectations on them.

my usual reply to you:

FANBOY

Odd...

If you consider it so.. then why did you bother getting 3?

18 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

because I want a good Tomcat. If you start out marginally good; you end up marginally good at best. Although I see that KASL is fixing the wings, but there are some others that need help.

gary

Obviously you have something against the Tamiya Tomcat. However, it is hardly marginal. The R/M kit in marginal (I've built over 75 of them and have about 30 more). The Tamiya kit is far, far beyond marginal. Just because it doesn't meet your expectations of what you think it should have been does not make it marginal. It simply makes it not interesting to you.

I'm curious about your quote that KASL is fixing the wings. There's nothing to be fixed. If you mean they are releasing a set with dropped slats/flaps, that would be a correct statement. But having a "hard" wing is not wrong. In fact, it's correct 99% of the time for the F-14. 

Your comment later in this thread about a poster being a "fanboy" doesn't add anything to the conversation. It simply makes you look childish. He likes the Tamiya Tomcat and has reservations of the AMK kit based on what he's seen in the MiG-31 release. He's using the information he has to formulate an opinion. How does that make him a fanboy? The tables could be turned and you could be viewed as AMK's "fanboy" as well. I've helped with the research for the AMK kit and am very excited to see what the plastic looks like when it comes out. I have no doubt that it will be an excellent kit, based on what I've seen. However, after having built 4 Tamiya Tomcats, I can assure you that the Tamiya is not a marginal model. Are there areas that could be improved? Absolutely, and I've voiced my opinion on that a number of times. But overall it surpasses any Tomcat kit released to date. One of the posters is absolutely correct in saying AMK will have to be at the top of its game to match the fit and engineering of the Tamiya kit. It's that good.

14 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

I do not have Tamiya kit.

I have a few GWH F-15s and Mig-29s and Kinetic Su-33. How does Tamiya F-14 compare to any of these? Any of you guys have tamiya f-14 and any of the others I mentioned. I would love see them side by side to have a better idea about Tamiya F-14.

I don't have the F-15, Mig-29, or Su-33 but I do have a few of the Tamiya F-14's sitting in my "To Do" and they are stunning. There are loads of reviews and builds of the Tamiya Tomcat here on ARC and elsewhere. A quick search will provide you with any number of builds,  reviews, and sprue shots. Bottom line, the overall consensus from anybody who has built it or seen it with their own eyes has been praise heaped on praise. Right now it is thee 1/48 F-14A  on the market (and there is a conversion set for an F-14B from Darren's line of products).

From ARC:

There are others. AND... if you want an F-14B...

Honestly, treat yourself! Pictures don't do this kit justice.

HTH

Cheers!

31 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

I do not have Tamiya kit.

I have a few GWH F-15s and Mig-29s and Kinetic Su-33. How does Tamiya F-14 compare to any of these? Any of you guys have tamiya f-14 and any of the others I mentioned. I would love see them side by side to have a better idea about Tamiya F-14.

I have those kits too, and F-14 the from tamiya have the same or maybe more details.

4 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Obviously you have something against the Tamiya Tomcat. However, it is hardly marginal. The R/M kit in marginal (I've built over 75 of them and have about 30 more). The Tamiya kit is far, far beyond marginal. Just because it doesn't meet your expectations of what you think it should have been does not make it marginal. It simply makes it not interesting to you.

I'm curious about your quote that KASL is fixing the wings. There's nothing to be fixed. If you mean they are releasing a set with dropped slats/flaps, that would be a correct statement. But having a "hard" wing is not wrong. In fact, it's correct 99% of the time for the F-14. 

Your comment later in this thread about a poster being a "fanboy" doesn't add anything to the conversation. It simply makes you look childish. He likes the Tamiya Tomcat and has reservations of the AMK kit based on what he's seen in the MiG-31 release. He's using the information he has to formulate an opinion. How does that make him a fanboy? The tables could be turned and you could be viewed as AMK's "fanboy" as well. I've helped with the research for the AMK kit and am very excited to see what the plastic looks like when it comes out. I have no doubt that it will be an excellent kit, based on what I've seen. However, after having built 4 Tamiya Tomcats, I can assure you that the Tamiya is not a marginal model. Are there areas that could be improved? Absolutely, and I've voiced my opinion on that a number of times. But overall it surpasses any Tomcat kit released to date. One of the posters is absolutely correct in saying AMK will have to be at the top of its game to match the fit and engineering of the Tamiya kit. It's that good.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: 

Call me crazy, but I'm going to wait until I actually see some plastic before I render judgement.  All I really know for sure is that the Hasegawa Tomcat is a bear to wrestle into shape and is more about doing battle than fun building.  As a result, any new Tomcat which has some measure of buildability and decent fit without major sacrifices of detail or accuracy will be welcome in my book.

Will the AMK or Tamiya Tomcats become the be-all/end-all?  That remains to be seen.  But I think they will at least be the new standard Tomcat until something else comes along.

There's no point in arguing over speculation; that's just silly.

Chris

9 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

* I didn't know that Brett took over this site. After all everybody knows you can't say a bad word about certain brands over there. Is this site going that way?

* I never said I didn't like Tamiya, so don't EVER put words in my mouth! It is true that Tamiya aircraft kits have never ever been at the top of my list, even though I own many. Their F14 just leaves me wanting more; sorry if you can't accept that fact.

* A parked aircraft in most cases is perfectly fine with me, but the F14 is one of the few exceptions. Apparently some others felt the same way; hence the new set of wings.

I have voiced the fact that they should have gone the other way, even though it was their call. Yet The one you cuss has two complete sets of wings with it for about $15

less cash outlay. I'm in the camp (after I looked over two airframes) that the canopy frame and glass are not exactly correct. Yet I also have said in the past that it was a

minor glitch. Maybe Grumman used more than one supplier? The intake issue you pointed out is nothing.

* Lastly the idea I'm a fan boy left me laughing! Ask Marten who ragged him about some issues (ask him on face book). If I were to be called a fan boy; I guess it might be GWH or maybe a couple other brands (Cyber Hobby for their 109's is an example). Tamiya and maybe even Hasegawa (I like Hasegawa by the way) would never be in the running for that. On the other hand D.H. and perhaps three or four others over here are for sure fan boys (gotta get those freebies). I get nothing for free! If I don't exactly fall in love with a certain kit, I'll expect to be able to say so.

* I'll end this with a question I asked about five or six years ago when about five or six went ballistic. How many free kits have you received?

gary 

7 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

* A parked aircraft in most cases is perfectly fine with me, but the F14 is one of the few exceptions.

Concerning this fact I agree with you... F-14s and Tornados look much more beautiful and "bad" to me with opened wings.

but nobody forbids to put the KASL wings on the Tamiya kit if one were to make a nice diorama :thumbsup:

and sorry, but just to show you the detail level of the Tamiya cat... it's the first kit (in all the scales) that finally give us a sketch of seals for wing back

drc7za.jpg

Edited by Alpagueur

As a former Tomcat maintainer, seeing a Tomcat with spread wings on deck means "something is broken" unless of course it is in tension on the cat or rolling down a runway.. Wing spread spots on the ship were a pain in the a$$ almost always requiring a respot, which means waiting around for hours until the deck crew finally moved the jet. Fortunately for me as an avionics guy I didn't have to maintain the wing sweep or flat/slat systems. On deck, our jets were kept in oversweep afloat or on the beach.

12 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

* I didn't know that Brett took over this site. After all everybody knows you can't say a bad word about certain brands over there. Is this site going that way?

* I never said I didn't like Tamiya, so don't EVER put words in my mouth! It is true that Tamiya aircraft kits have never ever been at the top of my list, even though I own many. Their F14 just leaves me wanting more; sorry if you can't accept that fact.

* A parked aircraft in most cases is perfectly fine with me, but the F14 is one of the few exceptions. Apparently some others felt the same way; hence the new set of wings.

I have voiced the fact that they should have gone the other way, even though it was their call. Yet The one you cuss has two complete sets of wings with it for about $15

less cash outlay. I'm in the camp (after I looked over two airframes) that the canopy frame and glass are not exactly correct. Yet I also have said in the past that it was a

minor glitch. Maybe Grumman used more than one supplier? The intake issue you pointed out is nothing.

* Lastly the idea I'm a fan boy left me laughing! Ask Marten who ragged him about some issues (ask him on face book). If I were to be called a fan boy; I guess it might be GWH or maybe a couple other brands (Cyber Hobby for their 109's is an example). Tamiya and maybe even Hasegawa (I like Hasegawa by the way) would never be in the running for that. On the other hand D.H. and perhaps three or four others over here are for sure fan boys (gotta get those freebies). I get nothing for free! If I don't exactly fall in love with a certain kit, I'll expect to be able to say so.

* I'll end this with a question I asked about five or six years ago when about five or six went ballistic. How many free kits have you received?

gary 

I think you might be confusing me with someone else. I'm a bit confused to some of your responses. 

Saying something negative about a certain brand isn't part of the discussion. This isn't a "Tamiya is better than AMK as a manufacturer" discussion. I didn't put any words in your mouth about not liking Tamiya. I simply said that the Tamiya Tomcat isn't a marginal kit, and that the way they produced it didn't meet your expectations. That's perfectly fine. I didn't imply that you were unhappy with Tamiya as a manufacturer, just that the Tomcat doesn't float your boat. But it's not a marginal kit by any measurable metric.

I'm not sure which kit you're talking about that I "cussed". That's where I think you've got me confused with someone else. Which other kit are you referring to?

In regards to your question. How many free kits have I received? Absolutely none.  I have been building Tomcat models of all scales and manufacturers for over three decades, and I love building them all. I'm a fanboy of the Tomcat, so I'm more interested in building those, and I know more about them than other airplanes. But I've never gotten anything for free, so I can be totally objective about each manufacturer's releases. That's why I can confidently say the Tamiya Tomcat isn't marginal by any stretch of the imagination. Isn't that what the original discussion was about?