• 3 weeks later...
On 8.2.2017 at 2:01 PM, Stephen said:

If you don't get it right it tends to look like a big toy aircraft.

Very true but  I gotta say it's a great and enjoyable challenge.

164604 i.e. Vandy-1 was one of the last live Kitties I got to see. Had a chance to catch her briefly in 2000 and one last time in 2004 and was lucky enough to sneak some little snitbits of the bird away that the squadron removed during maintenance and didn't present a security breach. The nice thing about this birdy is that she was (in opposite to her three black Alpha predecessors in the 80s and early 90s, i.e 161287, 161444 and 159853) a fully fletched test bed that apparently went through the same paces as her low viz sisters and hence featured quite some wear and tear and was far from having the glossy show bird look of 159853, the black bunny Alpha Tomcat of the early 90s for instance. I think the only time 164604 had a true pristine gloss black appeareance without a stain, was when she was delivered to then VX-4 just short before their merger with VX-5 to VX-9.

I know it's bad attitude to highjack a thread with one's own WIP threads, please forgive me the stinky self praise but I wouldn't dismiss the color choice solely for the reasons stated here in the thread just that easily and since that bird is one of those F-14s that I'm more fond of than others I did a 1/32 interpretation of her a few years back using the old Revell kit and frequently reworked the kit. The first time I sort of outdid it a bit but after some rework I'm quite happy for the time being The gloss black coat is a challenge but if you take your time you can really make this stand out among the others. I'd do a lot of things differently today though and AMK might just give me that chance at least in 1/48.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/276004-132-tomcats-late-f-14d-vx-9-vandy-1-and-early-f-14a-vf-1-wichita-101/

I for one am quite happy about this choice of AMK. Admitted, the only thing I  might have liked a tad more in terms of testcats would have been a VX-30 Delta with the Bloodhounds insignia on the tail. The only way to portray sucha bird is via the sold out decals of VF- and subsequently Fightertown decals.

18532473dl.jpg

Edited by bushande
20 hours ago, phantomdriver said:

don't pay too much attention to that.. my local supplier says Hannants won't be stocking AMK stuff anymore.....

mjwmodels has just listed it in future release too.

http://www.mjwmodels.co.uk/amk88007-148-grumman-f-14d-tomcat-5307-p.asp

I hope, not a coincidence.

Happy modelling

14 minutes ago, phantomdriver said:

Ah,

Good to know you commented Sio!

Don't worry! Everything is on going!

We are always slow just because of our own factory is always busy, and AMK production has to give way to the original customer of the factory.

38 minutes ago, Sio said:

I am in charge of AMK.

kinda off the topic, but I'm gonna ask anyway. Back in September (8th) I ordered the upgraded MIG31 thru Victory models. I finally quit asking when it was ever going to show up. They always said the kit was on a ship headed this way (I knew better). Now with the Tom Cat looming in the horizon, can we expect a serious delivery schedule? I've pretty much gave up on the MIG.

gary

1 hour ago, Sio said:

Don't worry! Everything is on going!

We are always slow just because of our own factory is always busy, and AMK production has to give way to the original customer of the factory.

I can't wait to see it. I was honored to help out on the research and it will wonderful seeing everyone's time and effort pay off.

1 hour ago, ChesshireCat said:

kinda off the topic, but I'm gonna ask anyway. Back in September (8th) I ordered the upgraded MIG31 thru Victory models. I finally quit asking when it was ever going to show up. They always said the kit was on a ship headed this way (I knew better). Now with the Tom Cat looming in the horizon, can we expect a serious delivery schedule? I've pretty much gave up on the MIG.

gary

Hi, Gary,

The upgraded MIG-31 did arrived US quite a long time, because of Chinese custom, shipping (about one month), and US custom, then transportation in US, etc. But all of them should arrive US in January.

As they are limited production, we still have a few stock in the factory. If you still want it, please follow Facebook how to get one of those not that many left.

Cheers!

Sio

13 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I can't wait to see it. I was honored to help out on the research and it will wonderful seeing everyone's time and effort pay off.

Hi, Darren,

Thank you for your help!

We will try to make it as good as we can! Don't worry!

We just can never be sure with the schedule, because of other orders in the factory. 

Cheers!

Sio

5 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

gary

Cancel that order if you can and get one from Matthew Bole at  Hobbyworld-USA. I had the upgraded kit a week after I ordered it and this was early February