7 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

My question is, why is there a separate piece for the "turtle back" ? It looks good however.

Steve

Insert for different antennae offset - Left for early & FSD birds, Right for later. I'll double check in a bit.

1 minute ago, IAGeezer said:

Insert for different antennae offset - Left for early & FSD birds, Right for later. I'll double check in a bit.

That would make sense if they were releasing different variants but, they are doing a D model so ... ?? The only antenna aft of the GPS dome is the V/UHF antenna.

Steve

2 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

The D is first, they said they were going to do earlier variance, if I'm not mistaken.

From what I know they were only doing a D model.

Steve

2 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

More test sprues. This time the fuselage.

Mark

That's looking pretty good. My only question is about the GPS dome. With the boat tail area a separate piece, as well as the wing sweep area, they could very easily do a preproduction or early Tomcat. But it seems that GPS dome is molded on. I guess you would need to sand it off. The problem with that is that there seems to be a hole underneath, so you'd have to plug it or fill it. The turtle deck area makes for easier scratchbuilding, that's for sure.

Edited by Darren Roberts

I have nothing but conjecture to go on, but I suspect that AMK molded that piece on the "turtleback" separately to compensate for the slide molding equipment. I remember a similarly molded piece on their MiG-31 on the top of the fuselage.

13 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

That's looking pretty good. My only question is about the GPS dome. With the boat tail area a separate piece, as well as the wing sweep area, they could very easily do a preproduction or early Tomcat. But it seems that GPS dome is molded on. I guess you would need to sand it off. The problem with that is that there seems to be a hole underneath, so you'd have to plug it or fill it. The turtle deck area makes for easier scratchbuilding, that's for sure.

Hello AMK

Darren has a point here with that hollow GPS dome. Now, sanding it away if not needed is not an issue, if you now delete the part of the inside mold that makes it hollow the issue is solved. That should be easy since it just requires a piece of metal to be removed from the mold...

cheers

Uwe

40 minutes ago, Solo said:

Any information about release date?

Soon I am going to celebrate first anniversary of my preorder submitting.

Maybe they are planning on releasing it on the 3rd anniversary of the announcement that they were working on it? Anniversaries for everyone...:cheers:!

I really like these test shots. AMK has truly turned a corner with their Tomcat project.  Regrettably though, I just finished a Tamiya F-14a and I loved the build.  Impressive model only because it came from a beautifully engineered kit.  And now I’m all “Tomcat’d Out”.  As amazing I’m sure the AMK Tomcat will be, I simply have no interest in building another one in 1/48 scale.