Well there is a slight difference between Tamiya and AMK

Tamiya is like BMW, they don't have to sell their product, it sells on its own just because of the name (because we consumers are not very clever :) )
Smaller companies still have to find ways to market their products

A topic with 80 pages here sure raises my curiosity, so job done :)

released tomorrow or in 6 months or even in 2 years doesn't make a difference. It's not like we have zero kit in the stash and waiting for the AMK F-14 is a question of one modeller's life and death

I mean we all want the kit now and then we'll store it in the stash for 10 more years  - go figure :)

55 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

Tamiya is like BMW, they don't have to sell their product, it sells on its own just because of the name (because we consumers are not very clever :) )
Smaller companies still have to find ways to market their products

A topic with 80 pages here sure raises my curiosity, so job done :)

released tomorrow or in 6 months or even in 2 years doesn't make a difference. It's not like we have zero kit in the stash and waiting for the AMK F-14 is a question of one modeller's life and death

I mean we all want the kit now and then we'll store it in the stash for 10 more years  - go figure :)

+1 :touche:

20 more years for me !

1 hour ago, Red Dog said:

In my humble opinion, those who buy Tamiya products ARE in the "clever consumer" category :rolleyes:

I understand your point of view although I don't agree

The Tamiya offering are no risks.

They are already master on the market and even with that they don't take risks. they come up with the same 5 models since I started doing models 40 years ago.

different scale, sometimes different version but sill we always end up with nothing original
Well it's a caricature but you get the point

I believe that modelling is also about building original and unique models that very few have built, unlike the Tamiya masses because they are shake and bake

The tomcat is a perfect example

they already made a few, in 1/32 and they released a splendid 1/48 one, shake and bake. Great. 

But they didn't went the extra mile to offer us various configurations such as landing or catapulting ones. 

The tomcat screams for such a pose. But no you won't get it from tamiya, 

Why? 

On the other hand AMK, a company that has all to loose to show stuff here, takes the extra risk and will make these hard sought configurations

So in the case of the tomcat here, I believe the smart thing to do is to wait, avoid building up the stash with sleek tomcats but rather wait for a tomcat that you can build in any configuration you like

My 2 cents for what it's worth, it's only an opinion.

6 hours ago, stalal said:

By not announcing future release. Just like Tamiya. They never announce. They just show their finished product at some Hobby show and make little tweaks after some feedback and then release it to the mass market. Just look at how they recently released their Bf-109G6. Follow its timeline. By the way, what a kit that Bf109 is! Absolutely awesome. A must have :)

I know I need my hip waders now!!!!!! 

Lets just go back to Tamiya's Mosquito release. We all knew about a year in advance because they spread the news thru their shills and broadcasting system. They did the same with most of their other 1/32 kits, and I could care less whether their fan boys like it or not. On the other hand, Revell as done similar things (I'm a Revell fan). Yet Hasegawa just dropped an anvil on us with their new Zeros! By the way, most of us not in the click knew about the 109 four or five months out. Where Tamiya seems to surprise us is with their new tooled armor. Most are fine kits at a very reasonable price. I for one bought into them with no regrets.

glt 

Meh, its all about choice. Choice and what the individual modeler wants or needs. The terms "best", "fantastic", "great" etc are subjective to the individual and their tastes and likes in my opinion. Now, having said that I build more armor then anything else and lean more towards Tamiya then most other brands:rolleyes:. The Tamiya 1/35 M10 and JSU-152 that I am working on are both pure joy!

But my post is off topic I suppose...:wasntme:...

Continue.

the choice is simple:

AMK if you want a Delta with the slatted/flapped wings with spoilers opened up.

Tamiya if you want an early Alpha (no bombcat) with fully retracted wings (parking).

I suggest to purchase both.

Edited by Alpagueur

I just got an email from Indiegogo for a feedback survey. The email was titled 'Have you received your perk?', with an estimated delivery date of 15 Dec. I ordered the twin package 1 and I sure haven't received anything, and been patiently waiting for things to materialize. Did anyone else get a similar email? Or is it some sort of joke/hoax?

3 hours ago, Andrewvft said:

I just got an email from Indiegogo for a feedback survey. The email was titled 'Have you received your perk?', with an estimated delivery date of 15 Dec. I ordered the twin package 1 and I sure haven't received anything, and been patiently waiting for things to materialize. Did anyone else get a similar email? Or is it some sort of joke/hoax?

So did I . Just went on AMK Facebook page , seems that everything is running O.K. So no panic. The kit is coming , maybe sooner than the pessimists believe. As the project is still running you can't actually already have received your "perk", can you ? ( If I have the meaning of "perk" correct)

You could join the Indiegogo survey as well

Madcop:thumbsup:

56 minutes ago, madcop said:

So did I . Just went on AMK Facebook page , seems that everything is running O.K. So no panic. The kit is coming , maybe sooner than the pessimists believe. As the project is still running you can't actually already have received your "perk", can you ? ( If I have the meaning of "perk" correct)

You could join the Indiegogo survey as well

Madcop:thumbsup:

I hope you guys didn't furnish a Credit Card number.....

21 hours ago, Don said:

Meh, its all about choice. Choice and what the individual modeler wants or needs. The terms "best", "fantastic", "great" etc are subjective to the individual and their tastes and likes in my opinion. Now, having said that I build more armor then anything else and lean more towards Tamiya then most other brands:rolleyes:. The Tamiya 1/35 M10 and JSU-152 that I am working on are both pure joy!

But my post is off topic I suppose...:wasntme:...

Continue.

I agree Don! Their M10 is a nice kit, and so is the M40. You can see a lot of Asuka influence in their Sherman. That is a good thing for sure.  For aircraft, I'm the opposite. I've found nothing but things from AMK while Tamiya are OK. 

gary

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, ChesshireCat said:

I know I need my hip waders now!!!!!! 

Lets just go back to Tamiya's Mosquito release. We all knew about a year in advance because they spread the news thru their shills and broadcasting system. They did the same with most of their other 1/32 kits, and I could care less whether their fan boys like it or not. On the other hand, Revell as done similar things (I'm a Revell fan). Yet Hasegawa just dropped an anvil on us with their new Zeros! By the way, most of us not in the click knew about the 109 four or five months out. Where Tamiya seems to surprise us is with their new tooled armor. Most are fine kits at a very reasonable price. I for one bought into them with no regrets.

glt 

As I recall Hong Kong Models was getting ready to release their Mossie and were getting all the press. In order to hurt HK's sales and divert those potential buyers away, Tamiya announced that they were doing a Mossie as well. No doubt that hurt the HK sales as everyone knew a 1/32 scale kit from Tamiya would be great while HK....? As it turned out the HK Mossie was a bit of a bust while the Tamiya Mossie was spectacular.

53 minutes ago, goondman said:

How who can do better? 

It's his blanket response for any critique towards AMK for the handling of the Tomcat affair. 

"Yeah well how can you do better?" "Do you run a model company?" "Troll"..

Even people who have pre-ordered the AMK Tomcat (like I have, two actually)..anyone who calls AMK to task is a troll and gets attacked. 

3 hours ago, jpk said:

As I recall Hong Kong Models was getting ready to release their Mossie and were getting all the press. In order to hurt HK's sales and divert those potential buyers away, Tamiya announced that they were doing a Mossie as well. No doubt that hurt the HK sales as everyone knew a 1/32 scale kit from Tamiya would be great while HK....? As it turned out the HK Mossie was a bit of a bust while the Tamiya Mossie was spectacular.

just what was wrong with the HK kit??  First thing the fan boys hollered about was the engine nacelle shape. That they were proved dead wrong was almost swept under the rug. Then they said this and that with the exact same results. I loved it, because you couldn't sell the kit. I got mine for the huge sum of $88, and have no plans to build it. I'm going to offer it as a trade whenever I get the chance. I also got the HK DO335 the same way, as it was regarded as a bad kit. Great kit by the way!  Compares very well with the ZM kit, but can be built in a third of the time (I like the ZM kit by the way but never bothered to buy one as it's too over the top for me). Ever notice one group of folks continually rag on this manufacturer and that one while closing their eyes to the issues from the ones they love. Face it life's too short, and just build something

gary

10 minutes ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

It's his blanket response for any critique towards AMK for the handling of the Tomcat affair. 

Even people who have pre-ordered the AMK Tomcat (like I have, two actually)..anyone who calls AMK to task is a troll and gets attacked. 

the answer is really quite simple! Just shut up and don't buy the kit!!! Then go back and tell us about some other great kit to buy on the fan board

gary

22 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

the answer is really quite simple! Just shut up and don't buy the kit!!! Then go back and tell us about some other great kit to buy on the fan board

gary

I've already committed to buying the kit. Me pointing out flaws or expressing displeasure with the way AMK has handled pre-orders or production of the Tomcat isn't going to change that. 

Edited by Jonathan_Lotton
44 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

gary

Also, don't tell me (or anyone else) to shut up. Until a moderator steps in, who CAN tell someone to shut up, you're utterly impotent when it comes to controlling conversation. 

1 hour ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Ah. Gotcha 

4 hours ago, jpk said:

I thought HK and Tamiya were different versions?

• 2 weeks later...