On 4/10/2018 at 10:27 AM, Manuel J. Armas S. said:

No hay texto alternativo automático disponible.

Love the full length intake trunk piece! And really love the hinges. You managed to capture the offset pattern of the real thing beautifully. I am curious what the double circle and rectangular panels are supposed to be. Those aren't present on the real thing... That whole door should be smooth other than the fasteners and hinges. Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see more and have the kit on the bench when it's released.

-brian

1 hour ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Love the full length intake trunk piece! And really love the hinges. You managed to capture the offset pattern of the real thing beautifully. I am curious what the double circle and rectangular panels are supposed to be. Those aren't present on the real thing... That whole door should be smooth other than the fasteners and hinges. Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see more and have the kit on the bench when it's released.

-brian

Good eyes! Brian,

The double circles and retctangle, appear in some pictures. They are actually extra sheet metal welded to the door. But some doesn't have.

We make them there. You can sand it off with putty easily.

Thanks!

Sio

5 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

-brian

Hey Brian!

Thank you for the feedback - always welcome from such esteemed chap as yourself.

As Sio suggests, we have literally thousands of pictures of this area and we see loads of these odd panels. We weighed up whether to do them and decided they were easier to fill than to scribe. So lesser of two evils for the modeler we figured.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks again for the eyes. Please do keep the feedback coming so we can make the best kit possible. I hope there may be some conversations to be had in due course?

11 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

safe money is furball.

I think you’re right - the details of these renderings are a match with a Furball set I am looking at right now. And, like the AMK renderings here, Furball’s renderings always have the external tanks at the wrong angle, parallel to the ground rather than aligned with the intake - not that it makes a whit of difference - the quality of Furball decals is superlative.

Edited by andrew.deboer

Good eyes! Brian,

The double circles and retctangle, appear in some pictures. They are actually extra sheet metal welded to the door. But some doesn't have.

We make them there. You can sand it off with putty easily.

Thanks!

So you guys are modeling 1 individual aircraft with depot or squadron level repairs? This sounds like more work on your part, and leaves the modeler to do the work to get back to the baseline standard. While I'm all for extreme detail, this sounds like a poor decision. And fwiw, all depot or squadron added plates are raised add ons. And can be aircraft specific. I.e., a tug runs into a panel and it gets a sheet metal patch. So now the modeler has to fill and sand the panel lines to get it to normal. Or if you want to add these, really, the modeler just needs to cut out a piece of plastic and glue it on. So neither way you've done them is correct and either way requires work and/or scratchbuilding on the users part. And these patches are only good for 1 exact aircraft in 1 exact period in time. So maybe 1 of the markings you're including had that specific patch. But now you just dropped the accuracy of all the other jets. 

I would really encourge you guys to dump those single jet specific maintenance fixes and stick with the actual panel. Maybe for use on future versions, do the A specific vent on the right side trunk. That he modeler can fill for the B/D versions but it'll be there for when you get to to the A. (Like Tamiya has done). Something else you could add would be the A right front landing gear door that got modified for the D. They removed the antenna and most of them have a raised patch over that area. That was a fleet wide modification that would be cool to include. 

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
15 hours ago, Martin @ AMK Models said:

We weighed up whether to do them and decided they were easier to fill than to scribe. So lesser of two evils for the modeler we figured.

With respect, this was a poor choice.  It is always better to leave a panel blank and let a modeler fill in the detail of their choice instead of including detail that isn't there on all aircraft. Obviously not a deal-breaker, but still an annoyance.

(you didn't ask me, I know... but it was worth pointing out)

Hey - if you guys are getting into the extreme level of detail, how about some really accurate work in the D specific cockpit. Or the D specific details and differences for the canopy and windscreen? Or the differences in the front landing gear bay forward and right bulkhead. Include both the standard and late wheels that we've talked about. Mold the wing root lights as the actually are with the trapezoidal shape, and not the 1/3 covered over shapes that Hobbyboss and Tamiya have given us. Those are good for the entire fleet and something no kit or aftermarket set has touched. 

Always here to help and provide references. Can't wait to see the kit and all the amazing work you guys have put into it! 

Cheers,

brian

37 minutes ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Hey - if you guys are getting into the extreme level of detail, how about some really accurate work in the D specific cockpit. Or the D specific details and differences for the canopy and windscreen? Or the differences in the front landing gear bay forward and right bulkhead. Include both the standard and late wheels that we've talked about. Mold the wing root lights as the actually are with the trapezoidal shape, and not the 1/3 covered over shapes that Hobbyboss and Tamiya have given us. Those are good for the entire fleet and something no kit or aftermarket set has touched. 

Always here to help and provide references. Can't wait to see the kit and all the amazing work you guys have put into it! 

Cheers,

brian

On the cockpit, cockpits in general...if the kit makers decided to step away from a one piece cockpit tub then adding details like circuit breaker panels and other side wall and floor details would be easy.

4 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Cheers,

brian

or the HUD differences

2 hours ago, zerosystem said:

or the HUD differences

There are no HUD differences for the D. Just the standard HUD for the D. They've shown that they have the D cockpit molded. I'm talking about the more subtle things like the RIOs knee panel circuit breakers, the variation between TID and PTID. Even the addition of the datalink antenna that was only on the last cruise jets for part of the cruise. Things that evolved over the life of the D ;) 

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
13 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Mold the wing root lights as the actually are with the trapezoidal shape, and not the 1/3 covered over shapes that Hobbyboss and Tamiya have given us. Those are good for the entire fleet and something no kit or aftermarket set has touched. 

Cheers,

brian

I've got vinyl lights in the correct shape. No painting required! I also have them in clear vinyl if you wanted to paint them.

On 4/10/2018 at 1:27 PM, Manuel J. Armas S. said:

No hay texto alternativo automático disponible.

Hate to say this but the forward fix cowl (the panel with the small NACA intake) is for the F-14A, not the F-14D.

The NACA intake is the intake for the injector air (oil cooler) and the small panel above it (below in the pic since cowl is upside down) is the punch in panel for where you put the fire extinguisher nozzle encase of an engine fire. On the F-14A the punch in panel is directly above the injector air intake, on the F-14B/D, the injector air intake is slightly forward (the leading edge of the intake is on the leading edge of the panel) making the punch in panel offset aft of the intake. Also, the intake is a different shape on the B/D than on the Alpha's.

For a reference of what I'm talking about, refer to Danny Colemans Uncovering the F-14 book, page 58 & 60.

Also. a few small details I noticed;

- Missing is the slot for the main landing gear brace that folds up into the nacelle. The raised leading and upper edge of the forward fix cowl are not normal to the aircraft, that is an aircraft specific repair.

- The small inspection panel (small round panel) on the weekly door is too far forward for an F110 engine'ed Tomcat, it should be were the double round patch is. It's current location is for a TF-30 engine Tomcat.

Basically, the forward fix cowl and weekly door appear to be modeled from a F-14A, the weekly door was common on all Tomcats.

59 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Hate to say this but the forward fix cowl (the panel with the small NACA intake) is for the F-14A, not the F-14D.

The NACA intake is the intake for the injector air (oil cooler) and the small panel above it (below in the pic since cowl is upside down) is the punch in panel for where you put the fire extinguisher nozzle encase of an engine fire. On the F-14A the punch in panel is directly above the injector air intake, on the F-14B/D, the injector air intake is slightly forward (the leading edge of the intake is on the leading edge of the panel) making the punch in panel offset aft of the intake. Also, the intake is a different shape on the B/D than on the Alpha's.

For a reference of what I'm talking about, refer to Danny Colemans Uncovering the F-14 book, page 58 & 60.

- Missing is the slot for the main landing gear brace that folds up into the nacelle. The raised leading and upper edge of the forward fix cowl are not normal to the aircraft, that is an aircraft specific repair.

- The small inspection panel (small round panel) on the weekly door is too far forward for an F110 engine'ed Tomcat, it should be were the double round patch is. It's current location is for a TF-30 engine Tomcat.

Basically, the forward fix cowl and weekly door appear to be modeled from a F-14A, the weekly door was common on all Tomcats.

Great info. I would imagine that Tamiya's will be off as well. 

25 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Great info. I would imagine that Tamiya's will be off as well. 

not saying anybody is wrong or right here, but I do have a small question that will save me about 180 miles of driving (round trip).

Referring to the scoop, and the F14a verses the F14d airframes. Some of the early F14a's were later in life upgraded to the late style. (the one north of me was) Would the manufacturer have changed the position or simply left it alone? Mostly curious.

gary

40 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

not saying anybody is wrong or right here, but I do have a small question that will save me about 180 miles of driving (round trip).

Referring to the scoop, and the F14a verses the F14d airframes. Some of the early F14a's were later in life upgraded to the late style. (the one north of me was) Would the manufacturer have changed the position or simply left it alone? Mostly curious.

gary

The injector air intake would change if the aircraft was converted from an Alpha to either a Bravo or Delta.

The reason for the different location is where the injector air intake was on the engine, hence, the TF-30 and F110 injector air intakes were not in the same location.

hth

GW

12 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Great information - thank you.

We have most books on the subject. I have the DACO book and was fortunate enough to meet him at Telford last year. Nice bloke.

I'll tell Sio.

Edited by Martin @ AMK Models