You wait for a bus all day, then two come along going to same place you want to go, that's the rule of life😎

Ive not seen a Tamiya Tomcat in the flesh but have read all the threads, seems like my wallet will be empty at the end of summer.

FLY NAVY, eat crab.

13 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

When he's right, he's right.

I'm in the same boat as Jon, I've got a preorder, but given how amazing the engineering on the tamiya kit has been, just having an option for dropped flaps and a few more weapons I likely won't use aren't exactly selling points any more. Maybe the AMK will be better somehow, but probably not enough to overcome Tamiyas street cred.

Now the price has to be competitive in order to make it marketable, and if AMK can't swing a sub-$80 price point, they're effectively cutting their own legs off.

Too true there.  And for all the Tamiya F-14 fans that would like the option, Kasl Hobby have a resin wing set with dropped flaps and slats which uses a fibre glass spar to support it.  Only difference with installation is that the entire wing is a single cast piece and anchors at the pivot points therefore the kit parts that the wings normally slide onto are not used.  Apologies if someone may have already pointed this out.  I'm not so sure that AMK have missed the boat here.  Much like F-15, F-16 and F-18 fans among us, there's enough people in the modelling community that no matter what, are going to buy the next kit on the market for their interested genre despite any differences in moldings, detail, accuracy etc.  I personally own at at least one F-14 kit from most of the manufacturers out there including old Monogram and Italeri types right through Hobby Boss, Trumpeter, Tamiya.  I wouldn't be counting AMK out just yet until the kit is released for people to make up their own mind about it.  In the meantime we can all bask in the sunshine of the wonderful Tamiya kit until the the next rendition comes along, then there will be a new ray of sunshine!!!  Just thought I'd put a positive spin on the AMK saga.

item_89147520K48088H.jpg

Edited by Andrew Maverick Taylor

Maybe I am being  bit sarcastic with this comment but.....AMK should have announced a new tool 1/48 A-10A/C  as 'coming soon' , maybe show some CAD drawings , anything to lure Tamiya into doing a A-10.

1 hour ago, Berkut said:

If there can be dozens of Bf-109's and Fw-190's on the market made by different manufacturers - why cant there be several F-14's?

Yup.

-and it's going to be a great kit. AMK have proven that they do good work, and if they make a mistake, they fix it. And my pre-order price is $54.00 from Victory. How much is the Tam kit costing? How long did TrumpyBoss list the Mig-31 and SU-27 series in their catalog before they were released?

It's a model, not a sucking chest wound. Waiting is just part of life...

6 hours ago, anj4de said:

That parts break down makes it poosible to easily do a very early -A with the boat tail. If AMK did that version they would have a winner since the Tamiya -A required cutting up the fuselage to get there...

That is "getting the cart before the horse". At this point in time I think they should only focus on completing the Delta and getting it into the hands of those who pre-ordered...........over 12 months ago no less!

Shame!

2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

...At this point in time I think they should only focus on completing the Delta and getting it into the hands of those who pre-ordered...........over 12 months ago no less!

Shame!

Word!

AMK is also up and coming. But they seem like far, far behind Tamiya. From these pictures at least, only main fuselage and weapons. 

Edited by stalal

^^^^ This is me and my team at our senior capstone design finals with our project still in 7 different pieces with none of them working, while the next team over had a robot picking apples from a tree while making apple pie at the same time. 'Fornication Under Consent of the King' was my team's collective reaction, which I imagine is AMK's too.

Edited by Janissary
12 hours ago, anj4de said:

That parts break down makes it poosible to easily do a very early -A with the boat tail. If AMK did that version they would have a winner since the Tamiya -A required cutting up the fuselage to get there...

they did say they were doing all versions. I have zero interest in the block Tamiya did, but a very early F14a would catch me attention. Still think they went in the wrong direction with a Tomcat, and should have selected a better subject. A good F111 would have been a license to print money! Or as I have often said; a good F100d.

gary

6 hours ago, IAGeezer said:

Yup.

-and it's going to be a great kit. AMK have proven that they do good work, and if they make a mistake, they fix it. And my pre-order price is $54.00 from Victory. How much is the Tam kit costing? How long did TrumpyBoss list the Mig-31 and SU-27 series in their catalog before they were released?

It's a model, not a sucking chest wound. Waiting is just part of life...

I think of it this way; if it's as good as their upscale Mig31 kits, the competition will be buried. Every kit they do seems to be better than the last. 

glt

32 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

I have zero interest in the block Tamiya did, but a very early F14a would catch me attention. Still think they went in the wrong direction with a Tomcat, and should have selected a better subject. A good F111 would have been a license to print money! Or as I have often said; a good F100d.

I have to completely disagree with you. An F-111 or F-100 may be of more interest to you, but even if Tamiya were to develop kits of both of the same quality as their F-14. The F-14 line would sell more than the F-111 and F100 lines combined. The Tomcat is iconic to the level that the Aardvark and Super Sabre cannot even come close to. The F-14 is the license to print money, the others - not so much. 

3 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

they did say they were doing all versions. I have zero interest in the block Tamiya did, but a very early F14a would catch me attention. Still think they went in the wrong direction with a Tomcat, and should have selected a better subject. A good F111 would have been a license to print money! Or as I have often said; a good F100d.

gary

F-111 series would actually interest me more than a Tomcat series. Sad but true. I am more of an Air Force geek I guess, and Maverick and Iceman never really captured my imagination like Robin Olds or Steve Richie.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
12 hours ago, Berkut said:

If there can be dozens of Bf-109's and Fw-190's on the market made by different manufacturers - why cant there be several F-14's?

A kit being on the market is not the same as a kit that sells in large enough numbers for the manufacturer to recoup their investment. 

28 minutes ago, Don said:

Moot and meaningless but I too would have welcomed an AMK F-111 series of kits before an F-14. Oh well...

I would definitely prefer it if AMK would had done a F-111 series. We are in dire need of an accurate and detailed F/FB-111 kit.

Edited by Mstor