Interesting take Swordsman422. It raises another question, would it (could it) be at that height and angle of attack seen in the AMK art work coming off the waist catapult?

Image result for F-14 waist catapult launch

Did the tomcat drop a bit when fired from the waist catapult or run level and parallel to the deck (if that makes sense) after launch before banking and climbing away from the carrier?

Regards.

EDIT: I just noticed the launch bar/holdback bar still lowered and the front strut still in the kneeling position in the photo. Never really paid much attention to these details until this box art discussion.

Edited by Don
9 hours ago, Neo said:

Wow what a buch of spoiled brats... Ive said this before and im gina say it again, manufacturer that take the time to post in our forums and take input from us are RARE. Stop burning them to the ground with the negative attitude. This will result in only one thing, they will stop posting and listening. 

Even Kitty hawk that use to be really active have mostly stop losting here with a good reson. 99.9% comments where NEGATIVE. 

So unless it's important or a valid usefull critique i invite you guys to keep it to yourself. If you want to impress yours friend around a beer kknock yoursef out but keep it off the boards because bashing the box art has no value.

Manufacturers post here, in a forum, not for fun, but for feedback.

An illustration on a model kit box is a marketing tool, if a majority or a large portion of customers doesn't like your product presentation, maybe the problem isn't them and their opinion, but the product presentation.

8 hours ago, GW8345 said:

That aircraft is not in afterburner, that is military setting. Even though you can see some flame, it is not coming out the exhaust, if it was in afterburner, there would be a 15-20 flame coming out the back end.

As stated somewhere above, Tomcat's with the F110 engine were restricted from using afterburner during catapult launches for two reasons; 1) it would burner through the JBD and 2), the aircraft would outrun the catapult shuttle about 60 feet down the cat track (which I have personally seen, twice).

Wasn't there also the issue of the rudders not having enough authority at those low airspeeds to counteract the yaw associated with an engine-out condition where one engine would be in afterburner and the other engine failed?

3 hours ago, Ishthe47guy said:

Wasn't there also the issue of the rudders not having enough authority at those low airspeeds to counteract the yaw associated with an engine-out condition where one engine would be in afterburner and the other engine failed?

No, by the time you reached the end of the cat you had enough airspeed for the rudders to be effective, while still hooked to the cat you didn't have to worry about yawing. :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Swordsman422 said:

Call this a bit silly, but I think the aircraft on AMK's box art launched from the waist catapults and the perspective is near the bow. The compressed oleos make no sense though.

Looking at the markings on the flight deck it looks like it's at the end of the angle (deck), you can see the center-line stripe (yellow and white) plus the Go/NoGo lights at the end of Cat 2 aren't there. To me it looks like it's trying to do a power climb before it's even at the end of the angle.

9 hours ago, Don said:

Interesting take Swordsman422. It raises another question, would it (could it) be at that height and angle of attack seen in the AMK art work coming off the waist catapult?

Image result for F-14 waist catapult launch

Did the tomcat drop a bit when fired from the waist catapult or run level and parallel to the deck (if that makes sense) after launch before banking and climbing away from the carrier?

Regards.

EDIT: I just noticed the launch bar/holdback bar still lowered and the front strut still in the kneeling position in the photo. Never really paid much attention to these details until this box art discussion.

Usually the Tomcat would not dip at the end of the cat shot off the waist, on the bow it might dip a little (maybe 3 to 5 feet), depending on how much the aircraft weighed. If the aircraft was loaded down with max ordnance and a full bag of gas, it would dip a little, light loaded, no dip. If the aircraft dipped to where the wings were level with the deck, that is a sign that something is wrong, if it goes below the flight deck, that means there's a massive issue and "pop/pop" usually follows.😀

8 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

This video may be of interest or relevance to takeoff power settings.

Somehow I found this while looking for a video on how to cook roast beef.

Some days I miss doing that, not only was I an Ordie on Tomcat's, I was also a qualified Finalchecker. Final checking was the most fun you can have out in public with your clothes on, and at night it was even more fun/thrilling.

Some days I miss working the roof, then my body reminds me I'm not a spring chicken anymore and smacks me back to reality.😀

4 hours ago, shion said:

Manufacturers post here, in a forum, not for fun, but for feedback.

An illustration on a model kit box is a marketing tool, if a majority or a large portion of customers doesn't like your product presentation, maybe the problem isn't them and their opinion, but the product presentation.

Agree 100%. Besides, I thought those discussing the box art were, for the most part, doing so tastefully and on topic. After all, it's AMK's box art for the AMK F-14D posted in the AMK F-14D thread on a website devoted to aircraft and aircraft scale modeling. Where else should we be discussing it? Are we not allowed because its AMK? We discuss and have discussed the box art of other manufacturers here on ARC over the years. Besides, I have learned a great deal about the takeoff characteristics of the F-14 in the last couple of pages thanks to those willing to talk/write about it (thanks to those who have shared their knowledge btw).

Regards.

17 minutes ago, CaptainObvious said:

The angles looks similar to the box art.

Maybe but it's about 250 feet further down from where the box art aircraft is.

The aircraft in the pic was just launched off of Cat 3 and is over the water, the photographer was standing on the  bow (about half way down given that that there is a bomb disposal ramp in the shot). The Tomcat in the box art hasn't even left the angle yet and has  a higher nose up AOA. Also, don't use the deck as a reference point, it is not always level with the horizon during launch/recoveries due to the ship up and down motion.

18 hours ago, Don said:

Did the tomcat drop a bit when fired from the waist catapult or run level and parallel to the deck (if that makes sense) after launch before banking and climbing away from the carrier 

I’ve seen both. VF-154 has a habit of pretty aggressive stab inputs to get a nice clearing turn established at the end of the stroke. Cold days off of Korea, no problem. Summer months or in the Gulf, they would squat a tad off the cat but quickly rise up and lesson the aggressive clearing turn. We had a known worry-some cat on Indy (#1) which was a little soft and our waist cats in hot weather seemed to be a tad soft but end speeds were still good. Low or no wind days when it was hot and Indy was making her own wind, nobody wanted to be at max weight for a shot. I was taxiing off the stern for the bow when they shot a heavy hornet behind us off the waist, we saw the canopy/upper fuselage/tails go by the row of life rafts on the port side before the climb started (very hot and no wind evening in the gulf).  They shot an S-3 after that and she squatted off the waste and we saw the tail go by. AirBoss took that Cat out of service until it was checked.  Of course I look over at my pilot and tell him straight up I’m adding another 1000lbs to our launch weight. No way we wanted to settle no matter what.  That was a fun trip down the cat that pinky evening, but the end speed was way above what we needed and our Vikings yuge wing didn’t settle a bit. 

Waist cat end speeds checked ok, but they suspect the row of Hornets stacked/parked down Cat#1 engines turning was creating a wind block that wasn’t giving folks true wind across the deck, hence the straight ahead settle/squat folks were getting. We didn’t have that issue going down cat#2. 

Cheers

Collin

Edited by Collin
Cnt speoul two goud
19 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

There's no need to get all sanctimonious. ...  Don't bag on people who want to enjoy the whole experience just because the box doesn't matter to *you*. 

Well said! 

Sorry to see that a "power moderator" has such a narrow focus on "allowing" folks to have civil discourse. 

Gene K

just like they have variants with baseball/hockey/football cards... i wish that variant boxarts were available!

i'm excited for the AMK Tomcat.. but the box art has been a let-down for me.

i guess i could always create my own custom printed box top for the kit 😄

On 5/21/2018 at 7:11 PM, Shadrik said:

Bit of inspiration for the wait 🙂

I actually thought Shadrik's painting was the real boxart! Very nice painting, Shadrik.
The real boxart was nice, but I liked Shadriks more!