It looks to be a beautiful kit which I hope to build someday along with the Tamiya offerings. The only beef I have ever had was the pre-sale and continuing changes in the release date. That said, it does appear closer than ever and here in the States I would hope we see it in our hands prior to Christmas 2018.

I am NOT a Tomcat groupie which sorta puts my knowledge of the aircraft at a great disadvantage. Those of your who are, will help me with the build later on.

Party on boys!

4 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

How exactly is it a 'fail'? If you look closely, they provide both options, so it is a win-win. Modelers that don't like the multi-piece option don't have to use it, they can use the one piece option. Modelers that think the multi-piece option is great will be able to use it. Either way, everyone will be able to use whichever parts they choose to. 

I honestly cannot grasp just how negative several of you seem to be over this kit. First and foremost, it is a plastic model airplane. Your life or well being doesn't depend on it. You're still going to get up in the morning and go about your normal daily routine. No one's lives are going to be affected in any way, shape or form.

AMK has done everything they can to address everyone's concerns and most still aren't happy! Seriously, get a life! The pathetic and childish whining over this kit is unbelievable. Grown as$ men bitching and whining like little kids in a toy store that can't have what they want. It's embarrassing.  

- And Roof knocks it outta the ballpark!!!!! 

Dave,

You are so right. Some people would moan if they won the lottery. Talk about looking a (potential) gift horse in the mouth. 

My mind boggles at the negativity. Everyone has a right to their own (bigoted) opinions, but if you look at the quality of AMK's kits so far I do not get it.

At least we have the seasons discussion behind us now - ironic seeing as it's the 20th of September today.

Admire you for speaking out against the fundamentalists Dave - its supposed to be about fun here.

7 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

How exactly is it a 'fail'? If you look closely, they provide both options, so it is a win-win. Modelers that don't like the multi-piece option don't have to use it, they can use the one piece option. Modelers that think the multi-piece option is great will be able to use it. Either way, everyone will be able to use whichever parts they choose to. 

I honestly cannot grasp just how negative several of you seem to be over this kit. First and foremost, it is a plastic model airplane. Your life or well being doesn't depend on it. You're still going to get up in the morning and go about your normal daily routine. No one's lives are going to be affected in any way, shape or form.

AMK has done everything they can to address everyone's concerns and most still aren't happy! Seriously, get a life! The pathetic and childish whining over this kit is unbelievable. Grown as$ men bitching and whining like little kids in a toy store that can't have what they want. It's embarrassing.  

X1!

Gary

8 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Dave,

its the same reasoning and the same people that complain about things like the shape of the Z-M F-4 rear fuselage. 

Im of the opinion that if it’s not what you’re exactly looking for then don’t buy the damn thing. If you want it to be an exact replica then that person should either a) make it themselves or b) go buy a real one.

If it looks like a F-14 then it’s a f*^%ing F-14!!

Edited by Whiskey

I don't see where anyone has an actual production copy of this kit or is able to make any actual determination about what fits/works and what doesn't. I think the multipart canopy has a lot of potential and hope it works. If not, I'll use the 1-piece. But until I see a production kit, I'm really not worried about it. 

I can't wait for this kit. And in the meantime, I have a pile of Tamiya kits to not finish. 

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
6 minutes ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

I don't see where anyone has an actual production copy of this kit or is able to make any actual determination about what fits/works and what doesn't. I think the multiparty canopy has a lot of potential and hope it works. If not, I'll use the 1-piece. But until I see a production kit, I'm really. It worried about it. 

I can't ant wait for this kit. And I t he meantime, I have a pile of Tamiya kits to not finish. 

Agree 100%

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

9 minutes ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

I don't see where anyone has an actual production copy of this kit or is able to make any actual determination about what fits/works and what doesn't. I think the multiparty canopy has a lot of potential and hope it works. If not, I'll use the 1-piece. But until I see a production kit, I'm really. It worried about it. 

I can't ant wait for this kit. And I t he meantime, I have a pile of Tamiya kits to not finish. 

Months ago, people talked here about the multipart canopy design.

Consensus was it's not a good idea, 

injection parts tolerances don't match with this kind of adjustements

and cutting a clear part is already a hassle, but cutting and glueing a clear part in the clear area is a big no-no.

Reason why people on FB and here ask vehemently for a single part canopy.

Finally, we've got a multipart canopy and a single part one.

And you can take a look on the photos, provided, the multipart canopy show the edges of the transparents part at several areas.

How modelers gonna glue them?

So it's a little ironic,

without the critics months ago about these design, no single part canopy.

But ironically, people call now the same critics fundamentalists.

I know that I am "dipping my toe into TomcatLand", but, I see a Choice, with a backup plan already in the box.

Got the cockpit all detailed out and you want to open the canopy, try that option,,,,,,it turns out not to your liking,,,,use the other canopy option. (or try again with another kit from the stash)

Beats the heck out of trying to razor saw clear parts to make multi-piece canopies from a one piece clear part.

And attaching those clear parts to the frame shouldn't be any harder than attaching clear parts to the solid plastic of the fuselage. If a modeler can't do the latter, he'd never build the kit in the first place.

(yeah, I know, that options adds 47 cents per box to the final cost of the model, making it totally unaffordable for some)

Edited by Rex
9 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Well said sir:thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Geoff M said:

Just curious how the multi piece adds more detail.  What does it provide that the 1 piece doesn't have?  Inquiring minds want to know.  

Thanks

Geoff M

I think the separate clear parts eliminate the need for a slide mold, so no seem to clean up. also a lot easier to paint without having to mask the canopy. given the quality of fit in the Mig-31 kit I dont see an issue with the separate clear parts.

1 hour ago, Geoff M said:

Just curious how the multi piece adds more detail.  What does it provide that the 1 piece doesn't have?  Inquiring minds want to know.  

Thanks

Geoff M

Easier to paint. As far as gluing, I would run some Future into the edges and let it sit until dry. Should do the trick.

On 9/20/2018 at 2:06 PM, Whiskey said:

its the same reasoning and the same people that complain about things like the shape of the Z-M F-4 rear fuselage. 

Some reputable people made that case, including Jeffrey of Hypersonic Models who has made a correction set for the Z-M F-4s. I don't think it is the same people, but I get your drift overall and agree.

Edited by Mstor
correct spelling error
On 9/20/2018 at 2:23 PM, Mstor said:

Easier to paint. As far as gluing, I would run some Future into the edges and let it sit until dry. Should do the trick.

Exactly my thoughts. No masking to paint, especially easier for the inside. And a light layer of future. If it's really good fit, may not even need glue...

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

Shion, I think thou dost protest too much. 

If the main canopy doesn’t EXACTLY match the separate windscreen the only way you could tell is if you used the two piece canopy to depict a closed canopy. Why the h3ll would you do that?  Especially with a single piece canopy included for that expressed purpose?  Think before you type. 

While Mr Roof has a valid point I am ROTFL over the irony of bitching about bitching about bitching. If it weren’t for all the complaining this site would see post counts drop by half.  Not saying that’s a bad thing.....

Well I'm happy they've given us a traditional canopy. Whinge and win is a saying I use a bit .. in this case the whinging has paid off

I'll give the multi part one a go, I can see some advantages of this approach. But it does rely on things fitting perfectly.