11 minutes ago, Don said:

And around and around the PP'ing match goes...

Image result for pissing match gif

Entertaining though. Reminds me of those "I quit!" threads from the early days of ARC. The old heads around here...however many of us are left...will remember those. Haven't had one in ages :hmmm:.

Carry on...:popcorn:

I remember those! They were very entertaining, especially when they came back a couple months later. We all need to take ourselves a bit less seriously. Life is much more fun when you do that.

6 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I remember those! They were very entertaining, especially when they came back a couple months later. We all need to take ourselves a bit less seriously. Life is much more fun when you do that.

Dang it Darren those were funny though huh! I too loved the "I'm baaaack" threads, or when they'd try and silently start posting again like nobody noticed after they slagged off Steve or various ARC members. Good times :rolleyes:. I often wonder what happened to some of those folks.

Anyways...

Cheers!

Don

Thanks for the feedback Shio. Much obliged.

However, I feel that you need ot know that the frosted transparency IS a test plastic. The clear plastic pellets are expensive so there is no reason for us to use expensive plastic to do first pulls from EDM or the molds.

I hear what you are saying but I am afraid it is wrong. Not trying to catch you out but I think you may need to visit a plastic injection factory or perhaps make your own company to really find out the facts.

Maybe you could visit ours next time you're in the area? I will give you a tour and you can see for yourself.

2 hours ago, Don said:

And around and around the PP'ing match goes...

Image result for pissing match gif

Entertaining though. Reminds me of those "I quit!" threads from the early days of ARC. The old heads around here...however many of us are left...will remember those. Haven't had one in ages :hmmm:.

Carry on...:popcorn:

I know two guys that left the hobby for model railroading. Mostly to get away from some folks. I see one a few times a year, and he always asks me why I hang around? I'm beginning to wonder as well!

Gary

Martin, by the way, could you specify all possible configuration for your Tomcat?

I know there will be opened/closed canopy, extended flaps and slots, opened spoilers panels, nose gear in launching position, wings in two positions - something more?

13 minutes ago, Martin @ AMK Models said:

Thanks for the feedback Shio. Much obliged.

However, I feel that you need ot know that the frosted transparency IS a test plastic. The clear plastic pellets are expensive so there is no reason for us to use expensive plastic to do first pulls from EDM or the molds.

I hear what you are saying but I am afraid it is wrong. Not trying to catch you out but I think you may need to visit a plastic injection factory or perhaps make your own company to really find out the facts.

Maybe you could visit ours next time you're in the area? I will give you a tour and you can see for yourself.

My first trip thru an injection molding sho was the old Western Electric plan in Indy. The folks went into great detail about the process. I remember seeing a huge container full of telephones that looked like junk. He said they were test pieces for a new mold. Then he picked up a pretty red phone and said it was from the same mold. Later in life I visited the plant the made millions of headlight boxes. Everything was an irregular curve inside them, and held to one arc second tollarence. That was why I was there and it was a serious learning curve. Their prototypes were a clear silver looking plastic that light would pass thru. That tooling package came in at a little less than $50 million by the way! Most folks have zero idea what and how powdered injection molding works, let alone the time frame.

Gary

Gary,

The molds are extremely expensive to make as you found out. By the end of the process for only the Tomcat the cost probably will come in at the same price as a 3 bed house in the UK.

Every penny counts, hence the use of cheap testing plastic.

The injection process is complicated as you know.

8 hours ago, shion said:

Mold trial is done to found the injection settings you will use for your production.

It's a back-and-forth between the workshop and the part of your team which do measurements.

So like I said before, it's pretty amazing that people are able to skip this part.

And remember, he said the frosted canopy parts are like because of "test plastic". 

No trace of polishing process.

The injection settings are done from the start. Experience and mathematics gives you the settings togther with heat and pressure, plastic type and other considerations that I don't fully know yet.

I am sure that Sio can give a run down in more detail than I can.

Anyway, the test plastic is used as it is cheaper but if you don't like that then I am not sure what to say. Maybe the company you knew didn't care? I have no way of knowing.

Polishing process is done well before the plastic is pushed through otherwise what would be the point? No idea.

🙂

Edited by Martin @ AMK Models

Since everyone is chiming in, I'll give my two cents. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed F-14D from AMK - if it's as good as the MiG-31 was, I'll be thrilled. However, the ejection seats shown online look exceptionally plain, and I honestly expected more from AMK. The MiG was one of the best kits I've built, and was a good value. Also, it's disappointing to see all of the "pre-order" nonsense, because seriously, it smells of desperation. The pre-order came across as some kind of financing scheme - I'm not saying that's what it was, but I am saying that's how it came across to me. I just think that all of the "we're working hard - please be patient" posts could have been avoided by not promising anything on a certain date. Tamiya dropped their F-14A kit with little advance notice. That's my observation as an uninvolved party. I hope AMK are successful with this kit.

Thanks jgrease, but you do know that funding schemes don't actually pay out until the project is delivered right?

Basically we made no money from it at all, the reason for doing it was to assure ourselves that our investment from remortgaging our houses would be paid back at some stage.

No funding project is paid until the company delivers. Just so you know 🙂

23 hours ago, flanker27 said:

I didnt follow 105 pages of discussion but dont understand why people are complaining about options, if you dont like the extra parts, just give it away, or put it on a seat and sit on top of it.

Then perhaps you need to read some of 105 page to understand what the issue was..

I, for one, am very much looking forward to the AMK F-14D. I'm not a big D model fan as I like my models paint schemes with some color. Just a personal preference. But I also like the F-14 with the flaps and slats hanging out. That's why I bought the KASL wing set for my Tamiya F-14A. There is something about seeing all that red on the exposed inner areas that I really like. Hence, I am looking forward to the AMK kit as I can build a D with everything hanging out. The Tamiya kit is, I know, a marvel of engineering. I know, I did the A, but I don't want to deal with the KASL wing set again (its good, but not perfect).

So, I will bide my time and wait. All this hoo haa is entertaining but meaningless. I will judge the kit when it is released. Before that we are just chasing shadows.

11 minutes ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Anyone who says there is no such thing as "test plastic" is an idiot, plain and simple. 

If you look at multiple previews you'll see that kit companies do use lesser quality, more hard and brittle plastic to do test shots and such.  

More brittle - yes. Exactly the word I was looking for. Thank you. It also looks like it has an 'orange peel' type effect and has no 'give' or 'flexion' in it at all. Hence it is good for testing the tolerances of the mold.
The proper clear plastic pellets are expensive but we use the very best for the kit pieces.

Thanks jon.

Edited by Martin @ AMK Models

And here I thought contentious tomcat threads were a thing of the past.

Used to be “who had the best kit” would leed to all kinds of rancor.  Watching Acad vs Mono vs Has was all funds of fun.

Figued those days were over when Tamiya released theirs.

But not to worry, y’all  found something else to scrape about

On 9/20/2018 at 6:36 AM, Dave Roof said:

How exactly is it a 'fail'? If you look closely, they provide both options, so it is a win-win. Modelers that don't like the multi-piece option don't have to use it, they can use the one piece option. Modelers that think the multi-piece option is great will be able to use it. Either way, everyone will be able to use whichever parts they choose to. 

I honestly cannot grasp just how negative several of you seem to be over this kit. First and foremost, it is a plastic model airplane. Your life or well being doesn't depend on it. You're still going to get up in the morning and go about your normal daily routine. No one's lives are going to be affected in any way, shape or form.

AMK has done everything they can to address everyone's concerns and most still aren't happy! Seriously, get a life! The pathetic and childish whining over this kit is unbelievable. Grown as$ men bitching and whining like little kids in a toy store that can't have what they want. It's embarrassing.  

WORD!!!

7 hours ago, Don said:

Dang it Darren those were funny though huh! I too loved the "I'm baaaack" threads, or when they'd try and silently start posting again like nobody noticed after they slagged off Steve or various ARC members. Good times :rolleyes:. I often wonder what happened to some of those folks.

Anyways...

Cheers!

Don

I hope their lives turned out for the positive. Do you remember what member number you were? I believe I was #55. I got in on the ground floor! 😊

29 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I hope their lives turned out for the positive. Do you remember what member number you were? I believe I was #55. I got in on the ground floor! 😊

I was in the first 100 for sure...I want to say #27 rings a bell...regardless I too was a keener :woot.gif:. Good old days LOL!

Cheers!

Don