1 hour ago, Parabat said:

Yes, but very 'toylike' when not in the swept position. The wing bladders will not raise up as they would have done in real life, to create an aerodynamic form, when swept forward you would not be able to drop flaps and slats. 

Tamiya has a very simple fix for that. 

Could somebody check my count. I'm drooling too much to see straight.

There are 50 individual sprues??!!! (The Tamiya kit only has 12 I think?)

The box for this thing is going to be HUGE!!

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Edited by F-16
1 minute ago, Skull Leader said:

Tamiya has a very simple fix for that. 

And don't they provide separate pieces for the wing top thingy that adjusts to the wings curvature as it moves? I have no idea what it is called, but you get my meaning.

Tamiya gets close to making it work, but to me its still gimmicky. Harkens back to the old Monogram kits that had moving landing gear and dropped bombs. Great fun when I was a kid. The only models I do the swoosh, swoosh thing with these days are my Millennium Falcon and Klingon Bird of Prey :naughty:

9 minutes ago, F-16 said:

Could somebody check my count. I'm drooling too much to see straight.

There are 50 sprues??!!! (The Tamiya kit only has 12 I think?)

The box for this thing is going to be HUGE!!

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I counted 32 + or - 1 as I kept losing track of which ones I had counted.

Never mind, I was counting some of the columns of weapons as one sprue. The shadows made them look like they were attached. I'm not going to try counting. I keep losing track. Old age.

Edited by Mstor

Wow! Looks promising! And I don't care at all about moving wings or not. What is the point of having them movable? I always decide what to do with a model before I start building. First I conduct my research and then decide on the various details or features. So if I collect my information to build a Tomcat in a certain position, i.e, on the carrier deck or on the ramp at Miramar I proceed with that until the end. If I want to do it with wings at 20 degrees then there is a reason for that and it will affect the rest of the build.  

Edited by EagleAviation
1 hour ago, DarkKnight said:

use the Tamiya crew?

What if I just used it for Tamiya's model?

Should I buy another Tamiya kit for that? Not bad idea, really...

Ok, I see you believe that less options is better then more options.

Not logical, but ok. F-14 from Tamiya showed that movable wings are possible, it is very simple solutions and we do not need another sprues with frames for wings in every position available. AMK showed very strange attitude for design, but it is their choice.

I hope they did something with those wide panel lines, anyway.

34 minutes ago, Solo said:

What if I just used it for Tamiya's model?

Should I buy another Tamiya kit for that? Not bad idea, really...

Ok, I see you believe that less options is better then more options.

Not logical, but ok. F-14 from Tamiya showed that movable wings are possible, it is very simple solutions and we do not need another sprues with frames for wings in every position available. AMK showed very strange attitude for design, but it is their choice.

I hope they did something with those wide panel lines, anyway.

I guess you loved how Tamiya made the flaps and slats have so many options too?

There is a very narrow window where the wings will be transitioning from full forward to full sweep. This will always be in flight (or the brief transition during startup on deck)

Effectively, the only way the Tamiya Tomcat can be realistically displayed is in flight with 55-68 degrees of sweep or stowed on the deck. With less than 55 degrees sweep inflight, the maneuvering flaps are no longer locked out and will be in some transition.  Anything unswept fully (deck or inflight) would maneuvering flaps, flaps, slats, and/or spoilers out. 

I suspect it would be impossible to make an in scale moveable flap mechanism, which would be needed to retract the flaps before sweeping the wings. 

So Tamiya wins the option for any sweep you want. AMK wins for options of landing and takeoff configurations available. 

And has AMK confirmed there will be no crew? Even if not, it’s easy enough to use aftermarket or crew from other kits. 

Edited by ESzczesniak

Movable Wing Sweep? I was hoping the kit would come with tiny gears and pulleys & cables that would automatically extend or retract the spoilers/flaps/slats while doing mock carrier landings on the living room coffee table. I had wires set up for the hook and Top Gun on DVD to play Kenny Loggins while doing so.

My day is ruined....Damn you AMK....Damn You!

10 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

I guess you loved how Tamiya made the flaps and slats have so many options too? 

No, I loved how Tamiya made details and panel lines, and how all of those parts fits.

That is what I loved.

You can always use anything from other kits, even whole kit.

It is really ridicolous how people defend that there is something missing in this kit, althought it just could be there.

Ok, less is better, ok.

Solo - we get it - you hate this kit - not more is needed to be said - you are crystal clear. What I do not understand is your continued participation to just try to crap all over those who still feel the kit will be good and have some positives vs. the Tamiya? You just want to ruin others hopes? That gives you pleasure?

Edited by Petrov27

I don't hate plastic model kits, really (especially bought ones), I even don't hate people, I don't know why, but I think it is good thing.

I just express ma disapointment that AMK made such stupid things, what could be simply avoided.

If you don't like it, you can just avoid my post, it is realy easy.

Edited by Solo
2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Movable Wing Sweep? I was hoping the kit would come with tiny gears and pulleys & cables that would automatically extend or retract the spoilers/flaps/slats while doing mock carrier landings on the living room coffee table. I had wires set up for the hook and Top Gun on DVD to play Kenny Loggins while doing so.

My day is ruined....Damn you AMK....Damn You!

That's good. :thatfunny:

That 1/18? scale Tomcat would be cool for that. Servos, switches, wiring, etc.

As against working models as I am,,,,,,,,I gotta admit that Anne and I darned near wore out the hangar deck light button on Kelly's carrier at one of the Nats.

14 hours ago, Solo said:

But this kit has also wings without options, for folded position.

It could be movable, it is simple mechanism.

Buy the Tamiya kit, it has movable wings and it is out now, in both A and D versions. If you´re not going to display the model with flaps out, why wait for the AMK kit? The Tamiya kit also comes with pilot figures. I am going to build a Cat at the cat, so a fixed setting is probably a good thing for me.

I wonder if the Tamiya and AMK wings are interchangeable? I guess I will have to find out when I get my kit 🙂

Hi

The sprue lay out is great. I am not worried about the wings, I will disply the model in a certain way and have no need for movable wings...

What I find sad is that the cockpit tub is again done in the conservative way as one piece. I was chatting with Sio about this a year ago and suggested to have the consoles, side walls and floor all as seperate parts which would make it very easy to have those side wall details in plastic, something so far only resin cockpits offer. So now, unless AMK came up with some serious slide molds, I can not see this being possible.

Anyway...I am sittig here waiting for the kit and will buy it once it hits the Euopean market.

cheers

Uwe

PS: Is that sprue shot available in high res and sharp?

21 minutes ago, erik_g said:

Buy the Tamiya kit, it has movable wings and it is out now, in both A and D versions. If you´re not going to display the model with flaps out, why wait for the AMK kit? The Tamiya kit also comes with pilot figures. I am going to build a Cat at the cat, so a fixed setting is probably a good thing for me.

I wonder if the Tamiya and AMK wings are interchangeable? I guess I will have to find out when I get my kit 🙂

Tomcats on tension are very impressive. But you need the Kasl set for that, flaps and slats should be down. 

48 minutes ago, EagleAviation said:

Tomcats on tension are very impressive. But you need the Kasl set for that, flaps and slats should be down. 

That is exactly why I have the AMK kit on order. I like that the AMK kit even has the hold back bar on the nose gear. Do you know if the control surfaces were tested when at the cat? I would like to extend the spoilers as well, as if the pilot is going through all the control surfaces. Speaking of pilots, are there any suitable after-market pilot figures available?

1 minute ago, erik_g said:

That is exactly why I have the AMK kit on order. I like that the AMK kit even has the hold back bar on the nose gear. Do you know if the control surfaces were tested when at the cat? I would like to extend the spoilers as well, as if the pilot is going through all the control surfaces. Speaking of pilots, are there any suitable after-market pilot figures available?

Pilots circulate all primary control surfaces. Spoilers are secondary surfaces and I am not really sure if they do that. Maybe. Perhaps an expert on F-14s can guide us. I also like the spoilers on the Tomcat they are impressive. You may have a look at the Aero Bonus range for pilots, I am sure they have some good figures. 

Yes a full control wipe out occurred on the cat once the bird was hooked up and run up to MIL thrust. Note however the spoilers on both wings do not come up at the same time. If memory serves the ones on the port wing come up ad go down, then the starboard wing. Best to find a video as all the control surfaces are moving and maybe not the way you expect or when you expect them. Bonus points for having the inboard spoilers down while the rest are up because "someone" forgot to push in the circuit breaker...be sure to have your troubleshooters preforming the "suspend" hand signal (arms / flashlights crossed)...lol