48 minutes ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

Hmmm.

JDerden_AD160_F14_NTU_SEPT05_P1_FS.jpg

Mark

Comparing the model pic to the 2nd real pic, the edge of the curve looks too sharp just before it reaches the engine nozzle. On the real thing the top surface seems to blend into the side. It is, hopefully, just an artifact of the photo.

Thanks for sharing the pictures Solo but what you didn't mention was that those were test shots and not the final product of course.

They were also put together by a non modeller but a friend of ours who rushed them out for us at eDay.

Little resemblance to the actual kit but the engineering remains the same of course. Come a long way since those 🙂

1 hour ago, Martin @ AMK Models said:

They are included.

Martin, if you looked down further in the thread, you would have noticed that the fact that there are different parts was already pointed out to me. My concern then is that there is still a large gap showing in the picture that was posted. Perhaps the person building it did not use the correct part? Do you have a pic of the wing in full retracted position with the correct wing cover pieces (if that is the issue)?

7 hours ago, Mstor said:

I think he knew I was just having some fun, as was he. We all take ourselves a bit too seriously sometimes. Its healthy when we can laugh at ourselves.

My apologies for a frivolous irrelevant post and making this thread any longer than absolutely necessary. 

/s

14 hours ago, Martin @ AMK Models said:

Thanks for sharing the pictures Solo but what you didn't mention was that those were test shots and not the final product of course.

They were also put together by a non modeller but a friend of ours who rushed them out for us at eDay.

Little resemblance to the actual kit but the engineering remains the same of course. Come a long way since those 🙂

Come on Martin, that is a knee-jerk reaction to a discussion that is very knee-jerk to start with. There is absolutely nothing to stop people from literally scroll up on the same page to see the outline of that section. Or check the previous pictures on the previous pages. Or check vs the CAD previously shared, like this for example;

14500433_676630325835131_394264511267101

And yet they don't. I am not an F-14 expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it is pretty clear that the section looks fine and there is some serious shadow trickery going on in the build picture due to low light. But saying that the testshot and testbuild has "Little resemblance to the actual kit" is obviously not true - atleast we all should hope it isn't. When metal of the molds is cut it is cut, there is basically no going back, especially if we are talking about significant shape differences. Sure there is some minor adjustment here and there of minor details and panellines but adjusting those doesnt completely change the kit. Then there is production adjustments of course like getting rid of flash or too low pressure and so on. But all of that is polish.

14 hours ago, Martin @ AMK Models said:

If you mean just above pictures with glued Tomcat, it was not me.

5 hours ago, Berkut said:

And yet they don't. I am not an F-14 expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it is pretty clear that the section looks fine and there is some serious shadow trickery going on in the build picture due to low light.

Berkut, the CAD certainly looks OK in the area. I am hoping, as you said, that it is some trick of the lighting. I mentioned this in my original post. Hopefully we will see some pics of a built up kit soon, with shots of this area that are clear.

My personal view is that there is a bulging out right after the flaps section and then turned sharply inward on the rear section which are not seen on the next two pictures presented. It really does look unsavory.

Edited by flybywire

Looking at the construction pictures on page 114 and comparing them with the same parts on my unbuild Tamiya -D I see no difference but I agree that some of the pics could lead to such (wrong) conclusions since the rounded edge of the bags behind the wings make the curves look much more curved… I think we are ok, let's wait until we see a full build up one in primer and under good lighting.

cheers

Uwe

PS: How about some cockpit pictures? 😉

Edited by anj4de

I don't think the fuselage curve after the bags is the problem. To me, the problem I am seeing is at and after the elevator pivot point. First, there should be a slight bulge up at the pivot point and after that the "edge" between the vertical and horizontal surfaces should taper off and blend with the circular section of the engine shroud (the carbon fiber area). In the photo of the build there is no "bulge" and the edge does not taper off, or at least it appears not to in the photo. The 3D CAD drawing has the proper taper off, though it doesn't show the bulge at the pivot point.

We need better photos of the main fuselage parts mated and of the engine shroud piece (haven't seen any close up pics of those at all).

Here's a a link to a pic (copyright issues) of the fuselage area with the elevator off and the panel over the pivot point off. I have added some crude lines to illustrate what I am trying to say.

https://flic.kr/p/2aFnZPQ

I know, its nit picking. But I think Tamiya got it right (from what I can see of photos of models on display).

No F-14 expert so I don't have much to contribute in regards the area in question. But are there pictures of the AMK horizontal stabilizer posted somewhere to look at the inner curvature of the stab and compare it to a drawing of the stab? I would suspect that if the area has too much curve (bulge) it will show up when comparing the AMK part to the drawing.

Just a suggestion.

Regards,

Don

As I keep pointing out, what about this area?

problem area1

In the pic, it looks like the edge continues all the way to the engine nozzle. It should blend smoothly into the engine shroud. See my post above.

Edited by Mstor

Go to the 13:10 mark in the video.....This area of the AMK F-14D is clearly shown......This area of the AMK F-14D is correct on the production kit........All of this hype on the inaccuracy of this area is being blown completely out of proportion........It's only a plastic replica of an airplane........You're still going to be able to breathe if it is slightly off.........The Earth is still going to revolve around the Sun........Pistachio Ice Cream is still going to be my favorite......Muhammad Ali will continue to be the greatest boxer that ever got in the ring, etc., etc.