20 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Go to the 13:10 mark in the video.....This area of the AMK F-14D is clearly shown......This area of the AMK F-14D is correct on the production kit........All of this hype on the inaccuracy of this area is being blown completely out of proportion........It's only a plastic replica of an airplane........You're still going to be able to breathe if it is slightly off.........The Earth is still going to revolve around the Sun........Pistachio Ice Cream is still going to be my favorite......Muhammad Ali will continue to be the greatest boxer that ever got in the ring, etc., etc.

You are completely correct. It is not the end of the earth, and the area shown in the video is what the original issue was about. But, the video does not show the area I am trying, unsuccessfully, to point out. That area is on the part that includes the engine shroud. I am not saying the the kit is definitively wrong, as I have not seen close up pics of that area. What I am saying is that it "looks" wrong in the photo and no one seems to be the slight bit curious.

I know its just a model and not that important in the grand scheme of things. I guess I am wondering why no one appears to be curious about the potential issue I have found. I am hoping someone will come forward with better pics.

Edited by Mstor
9 minutes ago, Mstor said:

You are completely correct. It is not the end of the earth, and the area shown in the video is what the original issue was about. But, the video does not show the area I am trying, unsuccessfully, to point out. That area is on the part that includes the engine shroud. I am not saying the the kit is definitively wrong, as I have not seen close up pics of that area. What I am saying is that it "looks" wrong in the photo and no one seems to be the slight bit curious.

I know its just a model and not that important in the grand scheme of things. I guess I am wondering why no one appears to be curious about the potential issue I have found. I am hoping someone will come forward with better pics.

It isn't a potential issue. The shroud pretty much goes all the way to the burner can.....

f-14d_001_of_103.jpg

17 minutes ago, Mstor said:

OK, I'll shut up, seeing as no one seems to get what I'm talking about. I guess I'm just not very good at explaining things. Oh well. It is what it is.

Actually, I just took a closer look at your photo. I originally thought you were referring to the fairing itself, which does go almost all the way to the nozzle. Re-reading your post, you are referring to the "kink/angle" (for lack of a better term). There are no clear photos of this part that I've seen, so I can't say if it is correct or not.

I think it's simply a matter of people wanting to know what combination of pros and cons a particular kit is composed of. No kit can be perfect, but there are teeny-tiny errors that probably won't be noticed unless they're pointed-out, and there are errors that are almost immediately noticeable. Of the latter category, there are varying degrees of effort required to fix a given error, or at least make it less apparent. Speaking purely for myself, time is limited, so I will opt for a kit that requires as little work as possible for the basic airframe to look right, as opposed to one that will need considerable hacking and puttying to achieve the same result.

35 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

There are no clear photos of this part that I've seen, so I can't say if it is correct or not.

Exactly. I was hoping Martin would chime in and post a pic or two. The only pic I have seen that has those parts is the low res pic of all the sprues that was posted on Facebook. Here is a pic of the area with those parts cropped from the original. The parts are circled. They are the parts that fit to the end of the fuselage parts and which the engine nozzles attach to.

1456518679_spruespic.jpg.0c593582cd21a5abe29bda4a7abb96b5.jpg

Guys, PLEASE remember that Martin said that the build pics were a TEST SHOT BUILD. He said that the molds have been fixed in this area and are now correct.

"Thanks for sharing the pictures  but what you didn't mention was that those were test shots and not the final product of course.

They were also put together by a non modeller but a friend of ours who rushed them out for us at eDay.

Little resemblance to the actual kit but the engineering remains the same of course. Come a long way since those 🙂"

So are all the pictures provided by AMK and viewed in the last few pages of this thread test shots only? I understand the build model was a test build (or whatever) but what about the sprue shots as shown in the first post on this page by Mstor? Are they test shots as well?

It is possible that all the pics of the sprues and builds were done many weeks (months?) ago.

I wish Martin would tell us how long ago these test shots/builds were done.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

9 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

the perspective can be deceiving ... you have to see the plan view

25te2hz.jpg

Why would you post a drawing of an F14A rear end when the kit is an F14D? Same with some of pictures posted as opposed to Dave Roof who actually posted an F14D photo......

Why doesn't AMK stop posting 'test shots' and old test sprues and show the actual kit parts?  Kinda feels like they're doing this to themselves. People will judge (and always remember) the test shots that aren't accurate. How can people  say the kit is perfect when all they've shown is in-progress test shots that still need or needed corrections...  It's great that the kit is coming, and I can't wait but they aren't doing their brand any favors showing builds and parts that aren't production worthy. Just finish the work and put it out. It'll get all the attention and accolades it deserves on the merit of what's in the box, not on promises...

itmt we we are all evaluating issues that supposedly *don't exist* on the yet to be seen production kit. 

10 minutes ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Why doesn't AMK stop posting 'test shots' and old test sprues and show the actual kit parts?  Kinda feels like they're doing this to themselves. People will judge (and always remember) the test shots that aren't accurate. How can people  say the kit is perfect when all they've shown is in-progress test shots that still need or needed corrections...  It's great that the kit is coming, and I can't wait but they aren't doing their brand any favors showing builds and parts that aren't production worthy. Just finish the work and put it out. It'll get all the attention and accolades it deserves on the merit of what's in the box, not on promises.... 

This^^^

3 hours ago, galfa said:

Mstor,

Please do not shut up.

I am very interested and I know that I am not the only one. Given your knowledge any your post is very welcome.

Thanks galfa :thumbsup: Seems I can't shut up anyway :whistle:

OK, here's another pic. This time of a Tamiya F-14D build. It shows the "bump" that is over the stabilizer pivot point. This is another detail that I don't see on any of the "test" shots so far.

Tamiya build 2

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

So sad......

Care to elaborate? I assume you are upset because the model is being analyzed and evaluated for accuracy issues?

On second thought, I'd rather not see another thread degenerate into a "rivet counter" vs "good enough" fight.

In general, not counting this kit: I'd bet if you asked any modeler which they preferred, a very accurate model or a less accurate model? All would answer that they'd prefer the very accurate one.

:cheers:

8 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Why doesn't AMK stop posting 'test shots' and old test sprues and show the actual kit parts?  Kinda feels like they're doing this to themselves. People will judge (and always remember) the test shots that aren't accurate. How can people  say the kit is perfect when all they've shown is in-progress test shots that still need or needed corrections...  It's great that the kit is coming, and I can't wait but they aren't doing their brand any favors showing builds and parts that aren't production worthy. Just finish the work and put it out. It'll get all the attention and accolades it deserves on the merit of what's in the box, not on promises...

itmt we we are all evaluating issues that supposedly *don't exist* on the yet to be seen production kit. 

I couldn't agree more.

4 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Care to elaborate? I assume you are upset because the model is being analyzed and evaluated for accuracy issues?

On second thought, I'd rather not see another thread degenerate into a "rivet counter" vs "good enough" fight.

I think you're jumping the gun here, as I'd wager his reaction was a response to potential apparent accuracy issues on a long awaited kit.

Edited by ijozic

The Coke Bottle effect aft of the pivot point for the stabs does look a bit too pronounced/drastic in that image. The video above omits that section. Hopefully, that is an early version of production that has already been fixed. If it hasn’t? It’s a major issue “for me”.

Tracy

Just looked at some photos in my Aviation Classics F-14 issue, page 116, and the -D is quite different from the -A back there, the -D much thicker with no bump. Showing a photo of the Tamiya kit is literally apples vs oranges . The AMK test shot photos show the correct shape. Thanks for pointing this detail out, but, AMK is getting it right.

- Still waiting for the phone call/email from Bob at Victory...... just take my money. Please...

2 hours ago, IAGeezer said:

and the -D is quite different from the -A back there, the -D much thicker with no bump

If you are referring to the bump I posted the Tamiya build to show, then I also posted a photo of a D, closeup on that area, that definitely shows that bump that is over the pivot point. I have other photos that show it too. On many photos it is difficult to see if the lighting is not correct.

Now I know after posting that people are going to continue to say I am nit-picking and rivet counting. To me, this is part of what makes this hobby interesting. I am not doing this out of malice. Most of us want our kits to be accurate. We buy decals, from people who post on this forum, who spend a great deal of time researching subjects to provide accurate markings and those same people will point out inaccuracies in markings they see. I personally find it fascinating to examine a kit closely and compare it to the real thing. I know a model can never be 100% accurate and in the end I will buy a kit, warts and all, if it is a subject I like and the kit is a reasonable representation of the subject.

If you don't like digging into the subtle details of a kit's accuracy then I'm sorry, don't read the post, or skim it a go on to the next post. I just think that there are others who, like me, enjoy this kind of research. Again, not out of malice, not trying to put the kit down, just trying to see where any problems might be. I doesn't need to be a "fight". I think we are old enough to carry on civilized discussion.