I think this whole saga affirms Tamiya's approach to new releases; keep it all under wraps until it is just a month or two from being ready to ship and then spill the beans and sell the wares while the new car smell is still lingering.  

The talk about the difference between the F-14A and D in the areas I've been talking about got me looking again at F-14A pics, and lo and behold, the bump over the pivot is there too. And guess what, Tamiya modeled into their A kit. Here's a photo of my unfinished Tamiya A that shows the bump (sorry for the poor focus).

Tamiya F-14 bump

Edited by Mstor
41 minutes ago, Mstor said:

If you are referring to the bump I posted the Tamiya build to show, then I also posted a photo of a D, closeup on that area, that definitely shows that bump that is over the pivot point. I have other photos that show it too. On many photos it is difficult to see if the lighting is not correct.

Now I know after posting that people are going to continue to say I am nit-picking and rivet counting. To me, this is part of what makes this hobby interesting. I am not doing this out of malice. Most of us want our kits to be accurate. We buy decals, from people who post on this forum, who spend a great deal of time researching subjects to provide accurate markings and those same people will point out inaccuracies in markings they see. I personally find it fascinating to examine a kit closely and compare it to the real thing. I know a model can never be 100% accurate and in the end I will buy a kit, warts and all, if it is a subject I like and the kit is a reasonable representation of the subject.

If you don't like digging into the subtle details of a kit's accuracy then I'm sorry, don't read the post, or skim it a go on to the next post. I just think that there are others who, like me, enjoy this kind of research. Again, not out of malice, not trying to put the kit down, just trying to see where any problems might be. I doesn't need to be a "fight". I think we are old enough to carry on civilized discussion.

You're right.

You can find it numerous times in the Model Art Profile 6 F-14 Tomcat.

It really depends on sunlight.

Examples:

- page 3 bottom photo, on F-14A (VF-154 CAG bird '95).

- page 4 bottom photo, F-14A (Vf-154 CAG bird '99)

- page 5 middle photo, F-14A (Vf-154 CAG bird during OIF)

So it is here for A models too.

The intrigue intensifies...

My pics of F-14A on USS Hornet:

IMG_4822.JPG

IMG_4858.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

So both the A and the D has it, Tamiya got it right, AMK potentially not so is my takeaway. 

Plot twist: AMK has no plastic yet and everything they have shown so far were literally hand drawn on a computer.

31 minutes ago, shion said:

You're right.

You can find it numerous times in the Model Art Profile 6 F-14 Tomcat.

It really depends on sunlight.

Examples:

- page 3 bottom photo, on F-14A (VF-154 CAG bird '95).

- page 4 bottom photo, F-14A (Vf-154 CAG bird '99)

- page 5 middle photo, F-14A (Vf-154 CAG bird during OIF)

So it is here for A models too.

Thanks, turns out I'm not going crazy :woot.gif:

So AMK does not have a certain bump (yet) that should be there? It could be worse...since grinding a bump into a mold is a lot easier then removeing one that should not be there. AMK, Martin...over to you guys...

cheers

Uwe

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

The talk about the difference between the F-14A and D in the areas I've been talking about got me looking again at F-14A pics, and lo and behold, the bump over the pivot is there too. And guess what, Tamiya modeled into their A kit. Here's a photo of my unfinished Tamiya A that shows the bump (sorry for the poor focus).

Tamiya F-14 bump

An early boat tail -A...very nice! High on my wish list...VF-1 over Vietnam! 🙂

1 hour ago, anj4de said:

VF-1 over Vietnam!

Yes, exactly. Been waiting on decals fitted to the Tamiya kit. I think the new DXM set will work out. Had been hoping Fightertown would update theirs (hint, hint).

1 hour ago, anj4de said:

So AMK does not have a certain bump (yet) that should be there? It could be worse...since grinding a bump into a mold is a lot easier then removeing one that should not be there. AMK, Martin...over to you guys...

cheers

Uwe

There is still a question about the part aft of that shown (on the D) which should fair out and blend into the circular engine. On the AMK photo it does not fair out, the edge between the vertical and horizontal surfaces continues past the stabilizer pivot point to the engine.

But, yes, back to Martin, please? Prove me wrong, please.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, Berkut said:

Regarding the curve itself, check the sprues on the previous page. As to blending with the exhaust, the CAD above...

Well, it's to me as though the curve on the aft fuselage on the kit displayed on the video were less pronounced owing to the fact that only the part of the shroud, which goes right after, is missing - not istalled yet on the rear fuselage of that kit.

Here; do you get what I mean?

Edit: Also, I think the inflatable glove on the right wing is different from that on the left wing glove. One is inflated and the other one not.

bFh0Jcu.jpg

YhZtdi0.jpg

Cheers,

Onigiri

Edited by Doppelgänger

14500433_676630325835131_394264511267101

this rendering seems to show a smooth transition from aft of the stabilator pivot to the end of the engine shroud. Of course, the shading is only slightly less janky than the photo with the sharp shadows. I am confident the plastic will be great.

26 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Yes, exactly. Been waiting on decals fitted to the Tamiya kit. I think the new DXM set will work out. Had been hoping Fightertown would update theirs (hint, hint).

Brian is aware of this and has said before he is working on it.

Geoff at Furball is also transitioning all of his Tomcat decals to fit the Tamiya kit.

Edited by Whiskey
5 hours ago, Mstor said:

If you are referring to the bump I posted the Tamiya build to show, then I also posted a photo of a D, closeup on that area, that definitely shows that bump that is over the pivot point. I have other photos that show it too. On many photos it is difficult to see if the lighting is not correct.

Now I know after posting that people are going to continue to say I am nit-picking and rivet counting. To me, this is part of what makes this hobby interesting. I am not doing this out of malice. Most of us want our kits to be accurate. We buy decals, from people who post on this forum, who spend a great deal of time researching subjects to provide accurate markings and those same people will point out inaccuracies in markings they see. I personally find it fascinating to examine a kit closely and compare it to the real thing. I know a model can never be 100% accurate and in the end I will buy a kit, warts and all, if it is a subject I like and the kit is a reasonable representation of the subject.

If you don't like digging into the subtle details of a kit's accuracy then I'm sorry, don't read the post, or skim it a go on to the next post. I just think that there are others who, like me, enjoy this kind of research. Again, not out of malice, not trying to put the kit down, just trying to see where any problems might be. I doesn't need to be a "fight". I think we are old enough to carry on civilized discussion.

No fight intended. Just an effort to contribute to the conversation. FWIW, the Mono/Vell kit has the bump!!

-Still waiting for the phonecall or email.....

4 minutes ago, IAGeezer said:

No fight intended. Just an effort to contribute to the conversation. FWIW, the Mono/Vell kit has the bump!!

That's cool. No prob.

Has anyone checked a Hasegawa kit?

43 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

Well, it's to me as though the curve on the aft fuselage on the kit displayed on the video were less pronounced owing to the fact that only the part of the shroud, which goes right after, is missing - not istalled yet on the rear fuselage of that kit.

Here; do you get what I mean?

:deadhorse1:

This edge should not be there...

problem area2

It should blend out smoothly as in this pic...

elevator pivot point pic

Edited by Mstor
58 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I have to unsubscribe from this topic. Too many notifications. Someone please send me a PM when it is finally released and the rivet counting is complete.

Ugh.

C'mon, we're all here for the drama. This is the only real action around ARC lately. 

28 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

But the number of people going full-potato on this feels excessive... even for ARC.

Full-potato? I like that line. You won the internet today. That made me laugh!

For all the talk of bumps and such, it would stand to reason that all of the variants had it, since both B's and D's were remanufactured from A's. 

Given that we have no new pic I guess there is something really wrong in that area. In addition, maybe the nozzles are too small.

If I am guessing well, we will not get any new pic untill this new Tomcat will hit the shelves. 

17 hours ago, Zactoman said:

In general, not counting this kit: I'd bet if you asked any modeler which they preferred, a very accurate model or a less accurate model? All would answer that they'd prefer the very accurate one.

While I agree any modeler would prefer a Very Accurate Model, I seriously doubt that will be achieved by a bunch of ARC Tomcat fanboys scouring the internet for photos and drawings and here-say that might prove or disprove someone's otherwise uninformed opinion and ranting about Every Little Detail, real or imagined, on an unreleased kit.

The US Navy Tomcats were retired twelve years ago, so unless you're in Iran, no one has seen one fly in well over a decade.  While there are several in museums, I would venture some of the "shape experts" in this thread have never even laid eyes on a 1:1 scale Grumman F-14.  Yes, there are folks here with real experience with this jet - but you don't see them judging and criticizing AMK  in this thread.  Me? I haven't seen or touched a real F-14 since... let me see... last Tuesday I think it was.  BuNo 160889

This thread specifically, and the many threads like it in this subforum, have made visiting here almost unbearable.  ARC should change its name to Armchair Ranters and Criticizers. If some of you put as much thought and effort into choosing a spouse (a much more serious task) as you do into nit-picking and spouting jpeg-based opinions about unreleased, unseen, and untouched kits... well, you must be very lonely.  When do you ever find time to actually build anything?

And yes, I realize the irony of ranting and criticizing about people ranting and criticizing.  It's contagious I guess.

So sad.....